Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prisoner

Options
  • 21-12-2014 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Is there an easy way to look up the history of someone's imprisonment - when they were jailed, where tried, how long sentenced for, when released? I'm talking 1916.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks, Maple. That says that there are registers and what's in them, but I knew that. What I'm wondering is whether there's anything where you can plug in a name and have it produce dates and facts.
    I know the people I'm looking for were jailed after the Rising; from the information I have - the succession of the names Richmond Barracks, Kilmainham, Mountjoy, court in London and jail in England - it seems that they went straight from the Rising to jail and weren't released until 1917 or 1918. But is there an easy way to get those dates and any other information accruing to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Bureau of Military History Witness Statements covering the 1913-1921 period is a good place to start. You can enter names of interest and see what comes up.
    http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/index.html

I would also recommend national newspapers. Irish Indo is digitized on Irish Newspaper Archive, as is the Irish Times on their own site (both €). County libraries often have free acces to one or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've been into the Bureau of Military History, both online and in Cathal Brugha Barracks, but these statements are general. I need actual dates.
    I can go down to the National Archives and try to track it through; however, I hoped that there might be a prisoner record for each individual.

Advertisement