Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Print Auction [BPB2012]

Options
  • 18-10-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

So we were thinking, how's about we kick off a discussion around having a print auction as part of the Boards Photobook 2012.

We need discussion, fire out the pro's and con's. What we were thinking is a minimum bid price, set print size and postage included.

From there, all proceeds go to the Santa Strike Force. People can choose to have their print in or out of the auction, which will be organised through Pixie.

Thoughts?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Cork_girl wrote: »
    So we were thinking, how's about we kick off a discussion around having a print auction as part of the Boards Photobook 2012.

We need discussion, fire out the pro's and con's. What we were thinking is a minimum bid price, set print size and postage included.

From there, all proceeds go to the Santa Strike Force. People can choose to have their print in or out of the auction, which will be organised through Pixie.

Thoughts?!

Would you have each person produce a print themselves or get them printed collectively by one printer? Centralised/standardised printing would help reduce unit costs and (hopefully) keep quality high

Would you limit it to only the prints submitted for the book? For example, I would gladly let people bid on any image I have posted on pix.ie, if they were mad enough to do so, especially if I didn't have to do the printing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Would you have each person produce a print themselves or get them printed collectively by one printer? Centralised/standardised printing would help reduce unit costs and (hopefully) keep quality high

Would you limit it to only the prints submitted for the book? For example, I would gladly let people bid on any image I have posted on pix.ie, if they were mad enough to do so, especially if I didn't have to do the printing :-)

Well, I think we'd have to centralise it to one printer - and include postage costs etc. so that for any photos bid on and purchased, the winning bidder would get their image in the post and not have to go getting in touch with the Photographer etc. to arrange details. Of course, the Copyright infomation and Photographer details will be on each image on Pixie - so if the person wants to contact them directly they can :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

Similar auction was done for Haiti a few years back. It was quite tough to get it started off. How will it be "broadcasted" or "advertised"? Will pix.ie have a banner or something like that on their explore page for instance? Find a good hashtag to be used on twitter? Maybe some people who do facebookings could put some info or link there?
    Sorry, just some random thoughts.

picaaf wrote: »
    Similar auction was done for Haiti a few years back. It was quite tough to get it started off. How will it be "broadcasted" or "advertised"? Will pix.ie have a banner or something like that on their explore page for instance? Find a good hashtag to be used on twitter? Maybe some people who do facebookings could put some info or link there?
    Sorry, just some random thoughts.

Thanks - totally makes sense. Not much use having an auction if we can't get the word out there! Hash tag is a great idea and will ask Pixie if it is possible to get a banner :)

Open to all suggestions of how to get this off the ground and how best approach the print sizes/options!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

You'll need to get a way of handling both photos and bids for people who are not on pixie.

• Advertisement

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    You'll need to get a way of handling both photos and bids for people who are not on pixie.

Yes absolutely, the email address will be available for that. Plus, I think it would be good to keep it open until after the launch, so you can see the images in the book and if there are some you really love, you go bid on them :)

Where will the photo be shown for those not on pixie ?

Where will the photo be shown for those not on pixie ?

I'm not sure - open to suggestions. The photos will be in the book - for one, but I guess it will depend a LOT on what photographer's are willing to allow in terms of their copyright. We could put them on Facebook, but that would have to be at the permission of the photographer.

We have the blog, so we can link from there. Any other ideas?

I think having the photos in one place is the way to go. I ran the Haiti one on pixie (raised about 1.4K, I think) but last year the Danny O'Brien (raised 2.5 K :rolleyes:) one we ran a small website. A lot of the photos and most of the bids were not from pixie people though.

For the last one we got two nice pieces on thejournal.ie and worldirish.com that really raised the profile a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I think the idea of a central printer would be great, at least the print quality would all be the same for all prints & if some body like Steve in 360-dpi was able to take on the printing, I think we'd be in safe hands both from printing and in terms of security of copyright in uploading files to him.

In relation to set print sizes, the only minor issue is that the print size/ratio is dependant on the camera used to get the image. For example I shoot with a 1.5 crop sensor so most of my images are best suited to 7.5x5, 12x8, 15x10 rather than "standard" 7x5, 10x8 etc. At this stage if I'm having a print made I go for 15x10 in preference to 12x8.

Just so the BPB2012 team know, I've no problem with my image(s) being posted on pix.ie, a blog or site, but would prefer not to share them on FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

dave66 wrote: »
    Just so the BPB2012 team know, I've no problem with my image(s) being posted on pix.ie, a blog or site, but would prefer not to share them on FB.

as i don't ˚do˚ facebookings, i have same feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I don't like posting any images on Facebook, ever!

I don't like posting any images on Facebook, ever!

That's what I was thinking :) Anything to do with images is 100% the decision of the photographer. The BPB team will never post any image anywhere without requesting permission, we promise :)

For the last one I got two nice pieces on thejournal.ie and worldirish.com that really raised the profile a lot.

As I recall thejournal.ie did a piece about the book last year, so hopefully they'd get behind the auction too. Just a suggestion, I believe a number of people involved in the book are members of camera clubs, perhaps they could ask their club to mention the auction at meetings and on club websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

yes i could handle the printing etc

well if people want em to lol

I would suggest the simplest was to do the images is like tommie said, set up a freeby website with a gallery, even if people have to email their images to someone for upload that wouldnt be too hard

stcstc wrote: »
    yes i could handle the printing etc

well if people want em to lol

I would suggest the simplest was to do the images is like tommie said, set up a freeby website with a gallery, even if people have to email their images to someone for upload that wouldnt be too hard

I am not familiar with setting up a website like that and I don't think that Dani is.. can anyone help us on this? Otherwise it will be Pixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Maybe I'm jsut too tired to understand...but why not Pixie? You don't have to be registered there to see picutes...as long as people get a link to find them...and if they then can bid via mail that's perfect...actually maybe best to have everyone to bid via mail. Otherwise it might be too messy to check both mail and pixie...

xia wrote: »
    Maybe I'm jsut too tired to understand...but why not Pixie? You don't have to be registered there to see picutes...as long as people get a link to find them...and if they then can bid via mail that's perfect...actually maybe best to have everyone to bid via mail. Otherwise it might be too messy to check both mail and pixie...

You have to be registered to put up a photo though !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'd be interested. I think submitting 1 (or maybe 2 photos) makes it easier that telling people they can bid on any photo in your portfolio/blog/site (Customers given too many choices are less likely to buy.

Some observations & questions-

1. We have a location hosting our image.
    2. Publicise the auction
    3. People bid
    4. Winners annonced
    4b.payment
    5. Photos printed & sent out.
    6. Publicise the resutls

1. should be easy to get a location. Obviously could piggyback on someones website but I'm sure most people wouldn't want that as it's taking focus away from the auction & promoting the person's website.
    2. again shouldn't be hard-social media, blogs, word of mouth, media etc.
    3. Is there any way to show what the highest current bid?
    So that someone is bidding they can see the highest bid and therefore bid higher. this would lead to bid price growing exponentially. Otherwise could end up with a load of bids around the same price.

When is the end date? Is this going to tie in with the Book launch date?
    Do more people besides 'us' go to the launch night? If prints could be available at the launch it'd be good way to get extra footfall, winning bidder could meet the photographer, talk to them etc.

4b. Paypal should make it easy
    5. Steve has already offered. Is this at 'cost price'?
    6. Same as point 2.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

5. Steve has already offered. Is this at 'cost price'?

what ya mean cost price?

• Advertisement

stcstc wrote: »
    what ya mean cost price?

Would you be printing the photos at the same price you'd charge to the general public?
    Or printing them at 'cost price'- just the cost of time & materials, without a profit...seeing as it's for charity and all that....

dinneenp wrote: »
    Would you be printing the photos at the same price you'd charge to the general public?
    Or printing them at 'cost price'- just the cost of time & materials, without a profit...seeing as it's for charity and all that....

I don't see there being an issue with Steve having a markup, he would be providing a professional service & I completely trust him to be very fair.

For me his contribution is in facilitating the printing & distribution of the prints, which I reckon is not a small undertaking.

Just my 2c worth

dave66 wrote: »
    I don't see there being an issue with Steve having a markup, he would be providing a professional service & I completely trust him to be very fair.

For me his contribution is in facilitating the printing & distribution of the prints, which I reckon is not a small undertaking.

Just my 2c worth

I don't have an issue with him having a markup either; I'm just wondering/asking.

The Boards Photobook account would be putting up the images, not the individuals (once we have their consent, all images will have notes to say who the Photographer is and their Pixie name if appropriate). All images would be in specific folders on one account uploaded to view in the smallest size only, which we have already discussed with Marcus.

With the time window we have, I'm not sure we really have an option?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

picaaf wrote: »
    How will it be "broadcasted" or "advertised"?

Two wee suggestions (well 2.5 really)

Time to 'lean' on our boards.ie overlords - site wide announcement for starters. This was facilitated on previous occasions. Perhaps sponsored advertising banners that are being stuck into all threads now.

Pix.ie also lent a major hand in previous years by sponsoring something like a couple of million advertising impressions in the run up to the book launch.

The idea would be to spread the attention wider than the photography forum.

if you need a printer to do this for cost then i will need to bow out

Sorry but I earn my living from printing peoples images, i happily help boards whenever i can, including give boards members discounts etc including sponsoring a 100 euro prize last year for the book launch (and the person actually got somethign worth more than the 100 too!!!)

i not sure anyone on boards has actually paid full price from me, even if i havent shown the discounts etc, trust me they are there

OK, we'd like to keep this on track to discuss the possibility of there being a print auction.. the team will look for pricing and printers when/if we get to that stage, I have already been in contact with 360dpi and there is no need for this to be discussed here :)

So, as per AnCatDubh's post - we need to lean on boards.ie and we need to expand our audience outside of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

...just experimented with my linkedIn profile and added Boards Photo Book 2012 as a Project. It allows short description as well as the URL and should show on the 'front page' of the profile. I'm sure the text is not perfect at the mo but it could also work as a way of promotion... also, perhaps an email or two in the workplace with the link...?

I know that neither of these provide the wide coverage we would love but every little helps...:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Simples ...... We set up an account for this Auction. Images submitted are sent to the same email address that will also be used for bids. Then the images are added to the Auction Pix.ie account.

All can view but only the organisers can add/delete/edit. The current bid could be put in the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

CabanSail wrote: »
    Simples ...... We set up an account for this Auction. Images submitted are sent to the same email address that will also be used for bids. Then the images are added to the Auction Pix.ie account.

All can view but only the organisers can add/delete/edit. The current bid could be put in the comments.

That was/is the plan precisely. I'm not sure whether bids will be either in the comments below or emailed or emailed only but we'll clarify that in due course... :)

Advertisement