Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROms???????

Options
  • 08-02-2002 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

please help are roms illegal to put on your website. ROms such as snes, gens???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Use search engines and links from sites you will find them.

http://www.arcadeathome.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

I am asking are they ILLIGAL???????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

In short yes it is, Nintendo especially do not look kindly on web sites offering their games for download even if there for the snes or otherwise, as for the other games companies im sure thay all have a similar view, however roms for the really old systems im sure ya wont have much hassle about them, as afaik they are considered as abandonware, but dont take my word for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Sorry about that, I was half asleep replying.
    But yes as Ronan says they are illegal.

There use to be a site about 2/3 years ago which had over 400 Mega Drive roms "The Dump" it got closed down because of , pity it was a great resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I was surprised to see my old EMU/Rom bookmarks lead to loads of closed down sites .. they don't seem to last more than 6 months.
    You'd think they'd get some sort of satisfaction in knowing people loved their games & consoles enough to relive and cherish them.... but nooOOOoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, stingy bastards. it's not like they can milk anymore cash out of them. well sega can with their gba releases i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Yeah ive yet to see a emulator site stay up for more than a few months games companys must wste huge resources in tracking down the millions of sites which carry roms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

does anyone remember plasticman.org?

that had to be the best emulation site i have ever seen, always up-to-date....in the end it got shut down by the crippling bandwitdh charges :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There is a chinese one that is open ages now and due too funny laws wont be closed down and they have all types of Roms
    Wish we had them funny laws .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by orangerooster_2000
    Yeah ive yet to see a emulator site stay up for more than a few months games companys must wste huge resources in tracking down the millions of sites which carry roms.

Usually they close down themselves because of the hugh bandwidth they take up. ISPs or hosting servers don't like ppl taking all the bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by Keeks

Usually they close down themselves because of the hugh bandwidth they take up. ISPs or hosting servers don't like ppl taking all the bandwidth.

Hmmm...mame.dk seem to be going down that spiral. Bandwidth usage is getting heavier and donations are getting lower..hence the need to register users before your allowed to download.

It's still one of the longest running Rom sites around though...

Advertisement