Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House History

Options
  • 01-11-2017 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I would like to find out the history of my home. My grandparents were tge first of my family to settle in it. I would love to know who lived/owned it before that time. Or is it possible to find out how old the original cottage was? Does anyone know during what time range the old irish cottages around west cork were built?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would like to find out the history of my home. My grandparents were tge first of my family to settle in it. I would love to know who lived/owned it before that time. Or is it possible to find out how old the original cottage was? Does anyone know during what time range the old irish cottages around west cork were built?

Look at the Ordinance Survey historical section. It goes back to the 1840s. You can also check if the title is registered land. There may be deeds executed by your grandparents in the Registry of Deeds. There was a scheme of cottage building around the turn of the 20th century. Many rural cottages date from then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can also go into the Valuation Office and look up your address and go backwards to see who was paying the rates at various times.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Thanks. I look up the OS maps online historical section and found that the house was present in one of the maps but absent in the others. I was able to narrow down the date the house was built considerably by these dates!

Advertisement