Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on multiple cars

Options
  • 13-06-2019 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

My overall annual mileage isn't high, probably less than 15,000 miles. I currently split that between a 161 A4 & a commercial 4wd (part-time, farm-related workhorse).

Thing is I've been over the Sally Gap a few times lately. I could also do with an estate at this stage in life...

I would really, really, REALLY like an old Legacy wagon, nothing too mad (about 165bhp petrol would do me). I love the grip of these things, had a diesel Legacy for a few years. Prices are reasonable but it comes back to the age-old problem of tax...and insurance...

Like I said, my mileage is low. It should be viable but...

(I know even as I write this on a hiding to nothing😝!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

If the legacy is old enough you might get a classic policy on it, but if it's a jap import the majority of insurers won't touch it.

It's beyond a joke that a NCB is attached to one car only. I can't think of one genuine reason for that to be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

It's beyond a joke that a NCB is attached to one car only. I can't think of one genuine reason for that to be justified.

Money....

Xodar wrote: »
    Money....

Oh, I know… that's why I used the word genuine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I have three vehicles. All insured with different companies. I tried to get a second vehicle insured with Aviva. They point blank refused, wouldn't even quote and _almost_ accused me of trying to get a car insured so a young person could drive it as a named driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

I have three vehicles. All insured with different companies. I tried to get a second vehicle insured with Aviva. They point blank refused, wouldn't even quote and _almost_ accused me of trying to get a car insured so a young person could drive it as a named driver.

All vehicles in your own name??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I'm like the OP love having lots of vehicles, but boy do they make you pay for it.

I have a main car policy, commercial (jeep) policy, classic car (90s UHP jap import - no issue getting insurance over 30 y.o), motorhome & motorbike policies.

I got a tenner discount on the bike insurance for having the jeep insured with the same company, got loaded on everything else, NCB only applies to the car policy, can't be mirrored, and can't gain one on the jeep apparently cos you can't have 2 NCBs :rolleyes: ....

Whole setup is a big dirty joke, paying over 4k p.a. for insurance, I can only drive one at a time.

But yeah, it's all down to over inflated personal injury claims :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder if we could start a petition. The government would gain on the extra VRT because more people would own more cars if the insurance thing wasn't bat sheeet crazy. And lets face it you can only drive one car at a time so there's no greater risk of accidents. They can restrict second and subsequent cars to the named person only if required (no additional drivers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

FaganJr wrote: »
    All vehicles in your own name??

Yes.

Advertisement