Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will insurance companies charge me more on a foreign licence?

Options
  • 12-06-2019 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi, I have just recently returned from Canada and have a Canadian license. I may be going back early next year.

Should I exchange my Canadian license for an Irish license whilst here? I understand that I can get insurance with my Canadian one, but worried that insurance companies will charge me much more. Also a little concerned as on the NDLS website it says that it can take up to 3 months before you actually get the Irish one as they have to verify with the issuing country that it's valid.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I might be wrong but I think you can only drive on a foreign license for maximum of a year anyway, so you'll have to exchange it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Many insurance companies will charge you more for a foreign licence and some will ask you where you did your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi, I have just recently returned from Canada and have a Canadian license.
    Where in Canada? This matters HUGELY.

For example, if you were in Ontario, exchange it; it'll take maybe three weeks, as it did for me, as Ontario and Ireland have an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

the_syco wrote: »
    Where in Canada? This matters HUGELY.

For example, if you were in Ontario, exchange it; it'll take maybe three weeks, as it did for me, as Ontario and Ireland have an agreement.

Yeah, it was Ontario. I'll go the exchange route if it only takes 3 weeks, I was concerned that it could take up to 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

I would check what insurance companies will quote you first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement