Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Women's Council of Ireland calls for gender quotas in local elections

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Nobelium wrote: »
    according to the new leaders of society, white men don't deserve to be commemorated . .

She had to step down after all this happened. The funny thing is the right is on the rise in Europe, look at all the national parties that got in.

If we don't change the trajectory of attacking one half of society and re-writing history the outcome is not good.

This was linked in another thread, and the argument about the outsiders looking in at the new elite is quite scary to think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BRdwgPChQ&list=WL&index=3&t=0s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

A good article in Quillette about why women don't vote for for feminist parties, it is important to stress, that there are way more women who don't identify as feminists as women who do, unfortunately, media, celebrity culture, twitter (in particular) and the women's rights advocacy industry are full of feminists who are loud and influential.

https://quillette.com/2019/05/31/why-dont-women-vote-for-feminist-parties/

I do feel sorry for ordinary well intentioned feminists who have been sucked into believing the misleading rhetoric that this wave of feminism, which in my opinion is radical feminism, is based on equality...it clearly is not, it is rooted in hard left ideology.

IMO, feminism is wrong from the onset. I don't see is xism as Hierarchal, and I do no believe that any society had a patriarch chy (men on top)

Women and men both had their priveleges and disadvantages, and it has never been the evil men keeping down the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

bren2001 wrote: »
    If there was equal opportunities for men and women, over a long enough sample period, it is fair to assume that their would be an equal number of male and females elected. Certain cycles may have more men than women and vice versa. It is clear, that more men are being elected and I would argue that is due to certain biases in the process for determining candidates and the electoral process. The troupe "equality of outcomes" is utter rubbish from a mathematical perspective.

I have no issues with gender quotas. There is a plethora of research to support the claim they increase participation levels of women and after a period of time they are no longer needed both in elected positions and in industry. I personally take the view that Ireland is roughly 50% men and 50% women and the Dail and local councils should reflect this. I think there is merit and logic in constituencies and wards to have male and female positions to represent its constituents fairly.

I see why men don't like it. It personally will affect me negatively but if it moves us to a more progressive society then I have no issue with their introduction.

This is not a fair assumption to make. In more egalitarian countries, you see more sexual di-morphism, not less. To make such an assumption requires evidence, and unfortunately these 'scientific journals' have become corrupted by humanities subjects or 'grievance studies'.
    For you to make these claims, please prove them or site a study in particular that we can actually look at the individual merits of that exact study.

Mike Nanya does a great youtube channel highlighting the work of exposers, and just how easy it is to get published:

"Human reactions to rape culture and queer performativity at urban dog parks in Portland, Oregon"
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0966369X.2018.1475346
    Who Are They to Judge? Overcoming Anthropometry and a Framework for Fat Bodybuilding
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21604851.2018.1453622
    Going in Through the Back Door: Challenging Straight Male Homohysteria and Transphobia through Receptive Penetrative Sex Toy Use
    https://doi.org/10.1007%2Fs12119-018-9536-0
    An Ethnography of Breastaurant Masculinity: Themes of Objectification, Sexual Conquest, Male Control, and Masculine Toughness in a Sexually Objectifying Restaurant
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11199-018-0962-0

They learned that, in their own words:

"You can conclude nearly anything as long as it's hostile to the right things... privilege in particular"

They literally re-wrote a section of Mein Kampf as intersectional feminism and it got accepted.

Mike Nanya's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVk9a5Jcd1k&list=PLLHyNSlsz449SOhzpo7ClMEKe9WkXt5GO&index=6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

We are constantly being told that there are no differences between men and women. But then, when it suits, supposedly there, but only in a way that women are better than men.
    Lorraine Courtney: 'We need more female leaders like Ardern to make the world a kinder, better place'
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/lorraine-courtney-we-need-more-female-leaders-like-ardern-to-make-the-world-a-kinder-better-place-38202097.html
    At 38, Ardern is the world's youngest female head of state. No doubt her age and gender have informed her progressive ideals and style of leadership. And looking at the recent macho posturing from the likes of Macron and Trump at the D Day commemorations last week, one thing's clear. The world desperately needs more young women in positions of power.

Having more women in charge is the only way to truly change patriarchal culture, from the inside out.

Here, we're still struggling to gender balance our politics, both female leader-wise and by how much male politicians outnumber women. Thirty-five women were elected as members of the 32nd Dáil, an all-time high. But women still account for just 22pc of TDs and 30pc of senators.
    [..]
    Political science research has found over and over again that women legislators are more likely to introduce legislation that specifically benefits women. But according to research by the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) on women in politics, there's established and growing evidence women's leadership in political decision-making improves it for everyone.

But the IPU research found women in politics remain concentrated in committees that deal with social issues, education, health and family affairs. While these committees are important, women are often absent from debates on finance and foreign affairs. This means we have a lesser say in financial priorities and shaping national agendas.

Sadly, because women have never had a truly representative Dáil, we don't actually know what our country would look like if it was run by women. Although it's hard to imagine it could be worse than it is right now. If we'd had equal numbers of women and men in public office since day dot, perhaps childcare would be affordable and men wouldn't be paid more than women for doing the same job.

If there were more women decision makers, would we still have no hope of ever solving our homelessness crisis? If the Dáil actually reflected our country in terms of gender, maybe we could better tackle problems in our health service and real equality between men and women would feel less like a vanishing point on an ever-moving horizon.

Having women in Government is more than just optics.

We bring new ideas to the table. We create new ways of thinking and of working. We need to make that change now. A new model that tries something out of the box and allows politicians - women or men - to pursue person-centred approaches to policy issues is worth considering.

A role model like Jacinda Ardern is something that Irish - and global - politics badly needs.
    ---
    But according to research by the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) on women in politics, there's established and growing evidence women's leadership in political decision-making improves it for everyone.

I imagine people would be very hesitant to publish the opposite and it would be hard to get it published in peer-reviewed journals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Plenty women have been at the top of Irish politics from O'Rouke to Harney to Coughlan to Robinson to McAleese. They didn't do any better than the men.
    Thatcher and May done no better than the male PM's in the UK. Jacinda Ardern is just the female version of Justin Trudeau and no better, not that he sets the bar very high. Hillary was no better than Bill.

• Advertisement

It seems to be popular to just basically say men are **** and nearly shouldnt be in politics that women can do it better and like already pointed out that women in politics are no better.

Look at the two leading ladies up the North as an example closer to home. Sure we can all cherrypick politicians of either sex how are good but it doesnt mean it should be the only reason we vote for a politician.

My big question is what happens when men no longer feel they have a place in the official world. We better be a fairly strict police state by then because i can tell you something the natural reaction through history of being disenfranchised and not having a voice is violence.

We can already see structures like this in the booming drugs industry in Ireland. You can easily make a name for yourself and more money than you can by being legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If anyone who doubts the influence of The Womens Council and its power to influence need only look at the latest initiative

https://www.thejournal.ie/citizens-assembley-on-gender-4679018-Jun2019/

The entire premise of this is identifying what can be done afford more equality for women, not one single mention of Education, Health and Justice where men are systematically denied the same opportunities as women.

This Government, supposedly a centre right party, are spending more and more of taxpayers money encroaching on private enterprise and family dynamics in the pursuit of a completely one sided gender equality program.

If anyone who doubts the influence of The Womens Council and its power to influence need only look at the latest initiative

The entire premise of this is identifying what can be done afford more equality for women, not one single mention of Education, Health and Justice where men are systematically denied the same opportunities as women.

This Government, supposedly a centre right party, are spending more and more of taxpayers money encroaching on private enterprise and family dynamics in the pursuit of a completely one sided gender equality program.

It could be a good thing if done fairly, theoretically if they apply fair logic to selections it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

I started a new tread specifically on this:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110420959#post110420959

Advertisement