Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Absolutely, but look at the sheer numbers of players that Munster and Leinster have returning. A whole front row each. Munster have almost a whole pack and Leinster almost a whole backline. Their teams will be transformed after players return from the RWC - ours will just be (substantially) improved.

But if they have them returning, then that means the first choice players for Ulster (bar Jacob and Iain) will already be here and you can steal a march. Ulster have a good squad, a better group than in previous years in my opinion. They need improvement on last season. They need a good start to the season.

Having large numbers in the Irish squad can have its problems as well, the players can come back battered and damaged, they will need a rest. Connacht have Aki and Carty missing and I would say that those players will be missed a lot more than Ulsters two. Munster and Leinster have the big numbers which is true, so it is time for Ulster to make that great start. I think that they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Have to expect a better season then last year with the recruitment that has been done coming into this season.
    + a full pre season with the coach

What those expectations amount to I don't know. Still going to have to get past some very strong teams to win silverware, don't think that'll happen realistically.

I think the OH position is going to be our potential weakest link now. Hopefully Burns can push on, had a few flashes last year but plenty of quiet games as well, maybe Johnston can add another useful option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Have to expect a better season then last year with the recruitment that has been done coming into this season.

What those expectations amount to I don't know. Still going to have to get past some very strong teams to win silverware, don't think that'll happen realistically.

I think the OH position is going to be our potential weakest link now. Hopefully Burns can push on, had a few flashes last year but plenty of quiet games as well, maybe Johnston can add another useful option.

From what I've seen in the past (admittedly mainly at U20 level) I'd be hopeful that if Bill Johnston stays fit he will turn out to be the best signing of the lot this summer. I expect Burns to start the season as first choice, but Johnston will push him hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »

From what I've seen in the past (admittedly mainly at U20 level) I'd be hopeful that if Bill Johnston stays fit he will turn out to be the best signing of the lot this summer. I expect Burns to start the season as first choice, but Johnston will push him hard.

Where does that leave Lowry?

launish116 wrote: »
    Where does that leave Lowry?

I really don't know.
    He's a skillful guy no doubt about that, but is he just to small and light for modern rugby in any position other than 9. Maybe not an issue at pro14 level perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Lowry is a great young player, but lacks size. Bill Johnson is not the biggest either. Agree that OH is the link that Ulster are still looking for.

It's just great that we now have genuine homegrown talent coming through in the pack.

Does genuinely look like Academy is shaping up!

Can seriously see a young core of the future senior team developing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster A team to play Connacht Eagles, Celtic Cup Round 3, Friday 6th September, 4.00pm, Ballymena RFC:

(15-9): Conor Rankin(U19); Ross Adair, Hayden Hyde(U20), Ben Power(U20), Luke Pollock(U19); Bruce Houston, Nathan Doak(U19);
    (1-8): Callum Reid, Zack McCall, Peter Cooper, Matthew Dalton, Jack Regan, Joe Dunleavy, David McCann(U20) (Capt), Azur Allison.

Replacements: Claytan Milligan, Paul Mullen, Jonny Blair, JJ McKee, Matthew Agnew, Aaron Hall, Lewis Finlay(U20), Michael Stronge

• Advertisement

So can we put to bed the argument that Ethan McIlroy didn't make the Academy because of guilt by association?

On the bench against Glasgow tomorrow.

Faddes starts at 13, Stewart starts at 9. Burns is captain. Rea Jnr is at openside which is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Ulster Rugby
    (15-9): Michael Lowry; Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Angus Kernohan; Billy Burns (captain), Jonny Stewart;
    (1-8): Kyle McCall, Adam McBurney, Ross Kane, Alan O’Connor, David O’Connor, Clive Ross, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones;
    Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, John Cooney, Angus Curtis, Luke Marshall, Graham Curtis, Ethan McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

So can we put to bed the argument that Ethan McIlroy didn't make the Academy because of guilt by association?

Should that not build up his case for an academy contract even more then? Clearly the coaches rate him higher than rankin but corporate only signed off on one of them having an academy deal

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Should that not build up his case for an academy contract even more then? Clearly the coaches rate him higher than rankin but corporate only signed off on one of them having an academy deal

Taken from UAFC - Ulster won 33-13. Tries from Adair, Rankin, McCann and Cooper x 2.

Why isn't Cooper stepping up? seems to be always scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Taken from UAFC - Ulster won 33-13. Tries from Adair, Rankin, McCann and Cooper x 2.

He seems to do well enough in open play, but he's smaller than the likes of Reid, O'Sullivan and O'Toole, who aren't exactly the bigger props around either. Struggles in scrums from what I've seen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Adair was the pick of the backs but as with last week the fwds were better. 2, 7 and 8 best fwds though Agnew put in a few thumping hits when he came on.

Quite a few silly errors from a few players eh Dalton giving away needless penalties though he wasn't the only one.

Hyde was quiet at 13. Played much better at 12 last week.

V effective team but not exactly exciting to watch.

Connacht were a better side. 2 and 4 played in the u20 world Cup but didnt do much. 4 was v quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Is today's game on TV anywhere? Thought tickets were a bit dear for a preseason... should've be £10 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Is today's game on TV anywhere? Thought tickets were a bit dear for a preseason... should've be £10 at most.

Being streamed on the Ulster Rugby Facebook page.

• Advertisement

Being streamed on the Ulster Rugby Facebook page.

pretty good stream to be fair also

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Connacht were a better side. 2 and 4 played in the u20 world Cup but didnt do much. 4 was v quiet.

Better than Cardiff that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ulster 50

Glasgow 19

Very good start and nice to see Gilroy back with a brace.

Yesterday's game is on the Ulster Facebook page if anyone wants to see it.

Hard to pick out individuals, and also I've no real idea of the relative strength of the Glasgow side, the second half was virtually unopposed at times, but one thing that stood out to me was the skill level from Ulster. It looks like Dan Soper is having a positive effect. Some lovely handling from Ulster, some of which led to tries.

The Cooney/Lowry/Marshall axis in the final quarter was a joy to watch, but again the Glasgow defence was hardly intense. A couple of impressive second half performances by Sean Reidy and Sam Carter. Again, it's only a pre season game, but Carter looks like he could be a good signing.

Feck me. The UAFC experts have decided Faddes isn't up to it after 40 minutes of a pre season game.

Someone should put that place out of its misery.

Glasgow were pretty weak. They've something like 12 away to WC I think.

They feel off the pace pretty badly in the second half as Ulster kicked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Feck me. The UAFC experts have decided Faddes isn't up to it after 40 minutes of a pre season game.

Someone should put that place out of its misery.
    You mean the one post?

damianmcr wrote: »
    You mean the one post?

Fair enough, I thought a few others. On second look one or two were sarcasm.

Anyway, a couple of players were missing yesterday that I thought would have been involved. Anyone know what the story is with Bill Johnston and Louis Ludik. I think Stewart Moore is still injured and I assume Marty Moore is still recovering.

Lucas44 wrote: »

That's another way of looking at it I suppose.

He looked pretty good. Some nice handling skills and looks to have good feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Fair enough, I thought a few others. On second look one or two were sarcasm.

Anyway, a couple of players were missing yesterday that I thought would have been involved. Anyone know what the story is with Bill Johnston and Louis Ludik. I think Stewart Moore is still injured and I assume Marty Moore is still recovering.
    No idea and I just wondered where Robert Baloucoune was.

Advertisement