Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Data Analytics

Options
  • 20-06-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Apologies if this overlaps with an older thread - I'm just looking into getting a qualification in the area of data analytics:

There appear to be a number of operators in this area:

ITB - Msc of Science in Computing (Online?)
    DIT - Msc in Computing (Data Analytics)
    NCI - Higher diploma in science in Data Analytics
    UCD Smurfit - Msc in Business Analytics
    UCD - Msc/Prof Diploma in Data Analytics (Online)

I've had a look at each of them, and the feedback people have provided in other threads has been very useful as regards the strengths/drawbacks of each from a personal point of view.

My query relates more to the other ones -the NCI one seems to be brand new? The UCD online one seems to be as well?

I don't really want to attend classes if possible, so the ITB or UCD one appear to be the best options as they appear fully online? Anyone have experience of them, and their experience of learning online as opposed to offline?

Cheers for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Duke of Moral Hazard

I've done the H-Dip in DA at DIT.

I was informed that there isn't a huge gulf between the content we were taught and Masters Level.

The quality of teaching was generally good but the work load is substantial. IMO this would be the case anywhere you decide to do it, if you're doing it by distance be sure that your self-discipline is where it needs to be.

My two cents anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 flim_flam

I've done the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit, would echo the comment above that it was seriously hard work. People do the course part time but I can't imagine having a full time job only to have lectures/assignments in the evening. Found the course to generally be very good though, really challenging but I enjoyed it and learned a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Budding Data Miner

Thanks for your feedback guys. I think I would have the self discipline for the online programs, but it's more so because I don't think I can guarantee that I will be able to get out of work on time to make the evening classes (the weekend shouldn't be a problem). I also can't afford to give up work to go fulltime so the flexibillity of being able to learn online sounds appealing.

The reviews of the ITB program sounds good? I sat a stats module in UCD as an undergrad which I enjoyed, but that was physical lectures, and I'm not sure what the online experience is like?

There's a new Data Analytics/ Big Data Forum on Boards with a thread on learning resources. It might be worth your while getting stuck in before you start with whichever course you decode upon.

I would recommend you download R & RStudio (Install R first as a requirement for RStudio) as they're free and probably the most versatile programs available for DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 spooney

hi folks

I have just been accepted into the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit, and I am wondering if you can recommend some pre-course reading to help me brush up on my maths

Thanks

• Advertisement

spooney wrote: »
    hi folks

I have just been accepted into the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit, and I am wondering if you can recommend some pre-course reading to help me brush up on my maths

Thanks

Hi Spooney:

Check out a guy on youtube "ExamSolutions". I found his videos really helpful for revision:

Also keep an eye on the boards.ie Data Analytics forum: there's lots of resources posted up there.

I can't post the link. Go to > Tech > Computers & Technology > Cloud and Distributed Computing > Big Data / Data Analytics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

hi folks

Thanks

The Stats class starts from the start so you should be alright there. The maths class is based on things like sets, linear algebra, calculus. If you studied a numerate in your undergrad degree you'll probably have met a lot of the maths already. It's a good course, very hard work though. I'd say it's almost more important to get learning some Java if you don't have it already.

Thanks for the info guys.. I've been working in IT for the last 7 years, a lot of that in BI.

I have studied Java but haven't coded in a while..There was quite a bit of maths in my college course but again it's a while since I've done it so I'm a bit rusty

Are you guys finished the course? Working in Analytics now?

Thanks for the info guys.. I've been working in IT for the last 7 years, a lot of that in BI.

I have studied Java but haven't coded in a while..There was quite a bit of maths in my college course but again it's a while since I've done it so I'm a bit rusty

Are you guys finished the course? Working in Analytics now?

Yes and yes, I'd have been younger than you if you've been working for 7 years but yeah took the course and got offered a job right away.

You'll have at least one and possibly two quite significant Java projects to do.

Cool.. time to brush up on my Java skills so

If you have any online resources or study notes/references for the Java that would be great

Either way, thanks for the info

• Advertisement

Interested Observer

With regards java, which IDE do people use? Eclipse? AN other?

Are there tutorials for Java to get people up and running?

Is it lab orientated or are projects mainly done on your own laptop environments?

My job is quite flexible so I can probably spend quite a bit of time on campus if needs be, hence my thinking around labs

cheers

Cool.. time to brush up on my Java skills so

If you have any online resources or study notes/references for the Java that would be great

Either way, thanks for the info

There's 2 or 3 all day Java lessons early in the first semester where they will touch on the main things you'll need to know and the first project wouldn't be in til nearer the end of the semester. I was starting from scratch but I used the Stanford CS106a lectures to start me off, they might be too basic for you if you have some Java already, then when it came to doing the assignments Stackoverflow was my best friend tbh.

For the first one you needed a good grasp on OOP, file input and output, and tbh understanding the question was as difficult as actually answering it. The second one I did was about abstract data types. For both you were given some pseudo-code of algorithms you needed which was very helpful, it bore no resemblance to Java though so there was a bit of work to do still. I had no Java at all going into the course other than what I'd managed to teach myself so if you've studied it before you'll be grand I'd say.

It's not lab oriented at all, there are no labs. The projects were done in groups of three, so it was up to yourself and your group to organise yourselves. Everyone used Eclipse but I think you could use anything you want, I don't think they put any restriction on that.

Thanks for the speedy response

Eclipse seems to be the most common one and I've used it before so I think I'll stick with that...

I'll be looking into OOP again and abstract data types.. good advice

Are there other areas of OOP I could be looking into? I seem to remember doing Polymorphism but again I am familiar with the concept but I dont remember how and where to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mynamewasgone!

Just signed up for a MSc in Data Science and Analytics in UCC. Just noticed it's not on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Would all jobs leading from these kind of courses be computer based? As in you would be working in front of a screen all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mynamewasgone!

Would all jobs leading from these kind of courses be computer based? As in you would be working in front of a screen all day?

Yes. It would be a mix of computer programming and statistics. I don't think you could easily escape having to spend the majority of your time infront of a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 esmith09

Hoping to start the MSc in Data Analytics in UCD this September, is there anyone who has recently completed this online course and if so, is there a lot if computer programming packages involved in this masters?

I have a maths degree with very little computer program knowledge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

I'm also planning on starting the MSc in Data Analytics in UCD in September. Does anyone have any feedback on the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rednineteen

Hi I'm just wondering how the course in ucd is going and does it take many hours per week to complete? I am considering signing up, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 P60

Hi,
    Did anyone do the course in UCD in the end? I’m looking for some feedback before committing to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

P60 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Did anyone do the course in UCD in the end? I’m looking for some feedback before committing to it!

I’m in the final stages of the MSc in NCI and spoke to someone in UCD in similar point. We sort of compared our likes and dislikes.
    He emphasised how much of his modules were theoretical vs the mix of theory and practice in NCI (we had a lot of projects crammed in though!).

Take that with a pinch of salt though it’s one persons view and different people learn different ways.
    You can do the postgrad diploma free via springboard and then top up to masters with NCI.

My biggest con with NCI - It’s a small college and certainly on the admin side when dealing with queries this has been evident.

Advertisement