Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Day At A Whine (Sweet Jesus), Liveline, 10/05/19 and dat

Comments

Joe has all the stock MP3 files loaded and ready to fire today.

Dats Fungus playing his organ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

You mean RTE's flowers paid for by the tax payer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cringe

Magic Magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

What colour is your paaaiiinnnn ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭shearforce

sligojoek wrote: »
    Cringe

Magic Magic

mega cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Stafford on line 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,909 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

3pm, effoff, Joe.
    Tanks fir yer service, an' dat.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Dats Fungus playing his organ

Catmaniac really !!!! This is a family programme.

Will he play de dead march when they’re lowering her down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭shearforce

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I really don't know why RTE are so fascinated about this plane crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Great great great great great great.

Fcuk off Joe :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ThePeckerDunne

The show is rapidly going downhill.
    it is becoming a parody of itself

Light airplane crash Kildare...I’ll be flying a glider in Kildare in two weeks.

Welcome aboard.

You are definitely new here :pac:

;);). Seeing as it's your first day here....

ITS YOUR ROUND :)

Stafford on line 3

Standby or speed dial caller ?

;);). Seeing as it's your first day here....

ITS YOUR ROUND :)

long time watcher, said i join up whats the worst that can happen

long time watcher, said i join up whats the worst that can happen

You should have joined up on a Unfunny Friday. There would only be a skeleton crew here(the rest of the skeletons would be trying to tell jokes on the radio), and your drinks bill would be much smaller :):).
    Welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm hope the weather improves dude, today would not be a day for light aviation I would have thought.

Phone in afterwards and point out you were in the vicinity and only missed certain doom and disaster by a mere fortnight.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Phone in afterwards and point out you were in the vicinity and only missed certain doom and disaster by a mere fortnight.

A mere fortnight. That's the skin of your teeth in Duffy's eyes.!

Katherine Thomas will be on site first thing Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

What was the segment at the end? Some prerecorded bit?

Katherine Thomas will be on site first thing Monday morning.
    She drove past that site on her way to college years ago. Himself is blessed she is still here. Close call

• Advertisement

She drove past that site on her way to college years ago. Himself is blessed she is still here. Close call

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Can look forward to Kathyrn filling in for Darcy next week if she survives the trauma

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Close call Cat- like Katherine Thomas’ many relatives near misses so to speak.

Oops looks like I was beaten to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've "helpfully" posted the relevant part of interview below so everyone else can feel queasy too.

Has Joe Duffy ever considered becoming a private detective?
    Radio review: The presenter shows off his digging skills over a racist incident on the train

Mick Heaney
    Follow
    about 15 hours ago

Liveline host Joe Duffy’s investigative skills make for interesting listening

Has Joe Duffy ever considered becoming a private detective? This isn’t meant as a sly hint, à la managers suggesting employees seek new opportunities by way of issuing a P45, but is a genuine question. For one thing, Duffy frequently exudes the world-weary air of a Raymond Chandler character. More crucially, when the presenter takes on a case he cares about, he doggedly tries to crack it.

On Monday, the client who shows up seeking help at Duffy’s chaotic office – better known as Liveline (RTÉ Radio 1, weekdays) – is Prasun Bhattacharjee, an Indian tourist who recounts being racially abused on the Belfast-Dublin train the previous evening. Bhattacharjee describes the hour-long tirade he and his elderly parents endured from an Irish man, contrasting the sympathy of fellow passengers for their plight with the perfunctory response of the train guards, who allowed the abuser to stay on. “Were you happy with the staff?” asks Duffy. “Not absolutely,” replies Bhattacharjee.

Others aren’t so phlegmatic. Duffy talks to Peter, a passenger from the same carriage, who tells of his embarrassment at the insults but admits that he didn’t try to stop the abuser. “Were you afraid of him?” the host asks. “I was, to be quite honest,” Peter replies.

It seems that might be that, but Duffy has other ideas. “We want to find this man,” he says on Tuesday. He talks to Emma, who also witnessed the incident and recorded it. Duffy issues health warnings about the offensive language on the recording before playing the clip of a clearly inebriated Dubliner telling Bhattacharjee’s family to “f**k off back home”. It’s shocking to hear such unalloyed abuse but it also makes for bracing radio, as Duffy knows. “We don’t like repeating this,” he says of the clip, before doing just that.

The next day, more leads emerge. A woman named Carla tells Duffy how she too was on the carriage and approached the abusive man on several occasions to try to dissuade him. The emergence of new details from different accounts lends the whole sorry saga a compelling Rashamon-style quality, but the narrative of vile abuse, passenger concern and official indifference remains consistent.

Duffy may have got to the bottom of this depressing incident of intolerance, but one suspects the Liveline detective agency won’t be lacking similar cases any time soon
    The belated appearance of Irish Rail spokesman Barry Kenny on Wednesday’s show only amplifies the latter theme, particularly when he admits the Garda have not been formally involved. Duffy is incredulous: “Racial abuse is a crime.” It also emerges that Irish Rail staff recognise the abuser, who has “misbehaved” before. Duffy speculates that the man may be unwell, though by now he has another target. He wonders why Irish Rail can tweet heavily about missing dogs, as they did recently, but not about attacks on passengers. As with so many whodunnits, the investigator is as curious about the cover-up as the crime.

All in all, it’s terrific listening, full of public interest, human drama, social issues and even daft diversions. The latter when comic actor Rory Cowan* phones in to condemn the abuse as an aberration at a time when the Taoiseach is the gay son of an Indian immigrant. “Ireland is becoming fabulous,” Cowan says. It’s a moot point. Duffy may have got to the bottom of this depressing incident of intolerance, but one suspects the Liveline detective agency won’t be lacking similar cases any time soon.

*no mention of the "vile creature" then I take it....

• Advertisement

That Mick Heaney has always been a fan of Duffy's. When I used to get the Times on Saturdays, he was always blowing Joe's trumpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That Mick Heaney has always been a fan of Duffy's. When I used to get the Times on Saturdays, he was always blowing Joe's trumpet.

Always back in the day, but only rarely now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/profile/mick-heaney-7.1837407

I've "helpfully" posted the relevant part of interview below so everyone else can feel queasy too.

Has Joe Duffy ever considered becoming a private detective?
    Radio review: The presenter shows off his digging skills over a racist incident on the train

Mick Heaney
    Follow
    about 15 hours ago

Has Joe Duffy ever considered becoming a private detective? This isn’t meant as a sly hint, à la managers suggesting employees seek new opportunities by way of issuing a P45, but is a genuine question. For one thing, Duffy frequently exudes the world-weary air of a Raymond Chandler character. More crucially, when the presenter takes on a case he cares about, he doggedly tries to crack it.

On Monday, the client who shows up seeking help at Duffy’s chaotic office – better known as Liveline (RTÉ Radio 1, weekdays) – is Prasun Bhattacharjee, an Indian tourist who recounts being racially abused on the Belfast-Dublin train the previous evening. Bhattacharjee describes the hour-long tirade he and his elderly parents endured from an Irish man, contrasting the sympathy of fellow passengers for their plight with the perfunctory response of the train guards, who allowed the abuser to stay on. “Were you happy with the staff?” asks Duffy. “Not absolutely,” replies Bhattacharjee.

Others aren’t so phlegmatic. Duffy talks to Peter, a passenger from the same carriage, who tells of his embarrassment at the insults but admits that he didn’t try to stop the abuser. “Were you afraid of him?” the host asks. “I was, to be quite honest,” Peter replies.

It seems that might be that, but Duffy has other ideas. “We want to find this man,” he says on Tuesday. He talks to Emma, who also witnessed the incident and recorded it. Duffy issues health warnings about the offensive language on the recording before playing the clip of a clearly inebriated Dubliner telling Bhattacharjee’s family to “f**k off back home”. It’s shocking to hear such unalloyed abuse but it also makes for bracing radio, as Duffy knows. “We don’t like repeating this,” he says of the clip, before doing just that.

The next day, more leads emerge. A woman named Carla tells Duffy how she too was on the carriage and approached the abusive man on several occasions to try to dissuade him. The emergence of new details from different accounts lends the whole sorry saga a compelling Rashamon-style quality, but the narrative of vile abuse, passenger concern and official indifference remains consistent.

Duffy may have got to the bottom of this depressing incident of intolerance, but one suspects the Liveline detective agency won’t be lacking similar cases any time soon
    The belated appearance of Irish Rail spokesman Barry Kenny on Wednesday’s show only amplifies the latter theme, particularly when he admits the Garda have not been formally involved. Duffy is incredulous: “Racial abuse is a crime.” It also emerges that Irish Rail staff recognise the abuser, who has “misbehaved” before. Duffy speculates that the man may be unwell, though by now he has another target. He wonders why Irish Rail can tweet heavily about missing dogs, as they did recently, but not about attacks on passengers. As with so many whodunnits, the investigator is as curious about the cover-up as the crime.

All in all, it’s terrific listening, full of public interest, human drama, social issues and even daft diversions. The latter when comic actor Rory Cowan* phones in to condemn the abuse as an aberration at a time when the Taoiseach is the gay son of an Indian immigrant. “Ireland is becoming fabulous,” Cowan says. It’s a moot point. Duffy may have got to the bottom of this depressing incident of intolerance, but one suspects the Liveline detective agency won’t be lacking similar cases any time soon.

*no mention of the "vile creature" then I take it....

Sycophantic.

In this case.........

Sicko - fan - thick.

:):)

Uncharted wrote: »
    Sycophantic.

In this case.........

Sicko - fan - thick.
    Im not sure -- it's somewhat barbed -- faint praise at best. Duffy comes across as amateurish as he is well meaning. It's not unlike that image that is sometimes ascribed to him here of being a slightly hapless sheriff.

Mick Heaney is one journalist whom I definitely wouldn't describe as a sycophant. I can't imagine he's made a whole lot of friends in radio through his writing, although I'm sure many will always adore him as being a scion of Ireland's Only Poet (TM, Oliver Callan).

Trouble in Ballyer sure to lead us off tooday...

withless wrote: »
    Trouble in Ballyer sure to lead us off tooday...

I'd be surprised if it's mentioned,Joe wouldn't tarnish the good name of the great,great,wonderful ,fantastic Ballyer.

Especially it's salt o' de eerth inhabitants with their wuurkin' class ethics :rolleyes:

Surely this case can only be solved by de countrys finest Detective?

Probably won't be a word about Ballyer.

I'm calling 2 weeks of Majella Moynahan and women with similar stories.

Listening to the promo I feel "Believe it or not" will be phrase de jour.

Bingo.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not......

Here we go. Zzzzz

withless wrote: »
    Surely this case can only be solved by de countrys finest Detective?

Mr Healy-Rae is otherwise engaged right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bingo

Duffy going to bankrupt the garda by 15.00

Dat would be a big fat BINGO an' dat.

The words on nearly everybody lips around here is ''Are we gonna get era Summer at all, Friday is the longest day of tge year''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Greasy Tool

The Force ??? I thought they were a service ?? There's loads of female members , but they look like blokes .

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

two more....Joe now wondering if there is book in this

Where's Gerry O Carroll when we need him?

• Advertisement

Ye had no problems hitching up your skirt after a night in coppers love

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement