Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I unlock this window?

Options
  • 15-06-2019 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

3KITSOu
    https://imgur.com/3KITSOu
    Just moved into a new place. The top window opens but the bottom is locked and the key is missing. The latch moves only a few degrees and I have been told it was locked years ago.

Anyone have any idea what kind of key I would need to open this?
    Where would the keyhole be?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In your picture were does the key go? It just looks like a dirty old jammed up window closer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Normally the key would go at the top of the handle where the silver circle is.

Sometimes there isn't a key, have you checked to see if that circle is in fact a button. Try pushing it straight in, or if that doesn't work, try sliding it up or down, or left or right

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Those buttons just look like rivets.
    Op, have a look around a make sure the last person didn’t screw the window shut

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Wouldn't explain the handle only moving a few degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I'm talking about the silver circle at the pivot point of the handle, below the rivets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Are there two separate panels?
    Looks to me like the piece with the two rivets is pressing down and preventing the handle/latch from turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s not a locking handle.

Does your other handle have those dots on it?

41-A28327-31-C7-4-BBE-86-CE-024-F990572-D3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

I have the same type of window handle, just turn it to the right, use some WD 40 as it may just be seized from not opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s not a locking handle.

Does your other handle have those dots on it?

41-A28327-31-C7-4-BBE-86-CE-024-F990572-D3.jpg

I used to have similar handles to this in a previous house. They locked with a grub screw possibly at the lower 8 o'clock mark in this pic. If it is that, then it's an easy fix as op just needs the right size allen key (2 or 2.5mm) iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Come on OP we are all dying to know if you've manged to get some fresh air yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement