Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to rewire

Options
  • 07-06-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am living in a place I bought a few years back. House was build in 1988.

Fusebox though has the old 60A fuse, two of which have blown on me
    (overloaded probably, always when the electric shower and plenty of other
    appliances were in operation).

I decided to get it looked at. We want a few other minor electric jobs done
    anyway. On inspection, the REC indicated that:
    * I need a new fusebox - the circuit breakers are 'L' types (slow acting) -anyone know what these are ? Does it sound plausible ?
    * New connection to mains
    * Earth connection needs to be checked
    * To certify, he needs to check all electrics (sockets etc) in the house & rectify any issues.

Does this kind of rework seem typical for a 1988 build? It does have the old
    style fuse, but the wiring seems relatively modern otherwise (I opened a few
    sockets etc) - I am guessing that if it has issues, any house build before 1990
    would have similar problems.
    Is this a normal experience if you ask a REC out to just get minor works done?

I actually would not mind getting the fuseboard done, but it is the last bullet
    than really bother me - I don't want a whole load of unnecessary rewiring to
    sockets etc - it would be a tough house to rewire, loads of chasing required.

Any comments?

* He would need to check the entire house, every socket

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It would be necessary to check the wiring before it would be possible to provide definitive comments. Assuming that the house was wired to meet the regulations at the time much of the existing cabling should be ok to reuse, in which case most / all chasing can be avoided. Replacing the distribution board would be a good first step. It really needs an experienced electrician to carry out a thorough inspection. As always use a REC that is recommended to you by someone you trust. Standards vary and some will attempt to overstate what is actually required. Also think about why else you require such as satellite TV requirements, Ethernet points, home automation / IOT requirements, intruder alarm, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, CCTV, speakers / sound systems etc. It is best to deal with all of this in one go as well as being cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

If your fuse box is replaced with a distribution board then your mains cables should be upgraded to 16mm. It’s also a requirement that earthing is also upgraded, including new earth rod and all equipotential bonding. When the new board is fitted then every circuit including lights,sockets,cooker etc must be tested in order to provide a certificate to facilitate esbn connection of new mains into the meter. If any issues are discovered then these must be rectified or in some instances a notice of potential hazard may be issued alongside the certificate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If your fuse box is replaced with a distribution board then your mains cables should be upgraded to 16mm.

They may be 16mm already.
    It’s also a requirement that earthing is also upgraded, including new earth rod and all equipotential bonding.

I am open to correction, but I don’t think that earthing requirements have changed since 1988. The earth rod may be ok too.
    When the new board is fitted then every circuit including lights,sockets,cooker etc must be tested in order to provide a certificate to facilitate esbn connection of new mains into the meter. If any issues are discovered then these must be rectified or in some instances a notice of potential hazard may be issued alongside the certificate.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niftthelean

Thanks for the info. Seems like the guy was being pretty straight with us. I will get another
    opinion all the same I think.

Advertisement