Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Exploding" light bulb!

Options
  • 12-06-2019 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

early today I went into the kitchen, switched on the light and POW! The light bulb apparently blew out and hit the floor... When I found it, it had sheared off and left the part that connects in the socket.

the whole dwelling was thoroughly checked by an electrician before I moved in and the light bulbs were unchanged and new then nearly 2 years ago

i cannot get the remnant out of the socket; the ceiling is very high.

In a long life this is a totally new experience!

I switched the relevant fuse back on and all else is fine.

any clues welcome... PS on a small island and getting any eg electrician etc out . I have a table lamp in the kitchen now.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Ask a neighbour to come take out the broken part, once the mains is off it's easy enough with a pliers. Or get the electrician who came before to come. The council may be slow but will eventually come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Has happened me several times. All you need to do to replace the bulb. someine else might be able to reach it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wesser wrote: »
    Has happened me several times. All you need to do to replace the bulb. someine else might be able to reach it for you.

Ok thanks. part of the bulb is still therein. I did climb on a chair but could not get enough leverage to get the dratted remnant out... At least there is no electrical problem,. Certainly woke me up at 4 am!

New experiences all the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Some people have success in using a potato

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/5-ways-to-safely-remove-a-broken-bulb-from-a-socket/

Make sure you turn off the power first.

Some people have success in using a potato

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/5-ways-to-safely-remove-a-broken-bulb-from-a-socket/

Make sure you turn off the power first.

Fascinating; thank you.. but this is a bayonet bulb...I think those responses are for screw in..

Anyways, leaving it for now as there is abundant light from the hall light and I need to send for more bulbs. I was buying the cheap ones ; false economy so gathering funds now.. we are very few out here so less hassle this way. Being in a very remote area in council accommodation breeds self sufficiency.. in self defence

But am impressed with all the skills and knowledge on boards! always a response
    and always help..THANK YOU. I never knew bulbs exploded like that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It should work with a bayonet cap too, the idea is that you can push up and twist without cutting your hand.

I usually use a pliers though, but you may not have one.

It should work with a bayonet cap too, the idea is that you can push up and twist without cutting your hand.

I usually use a pliers though, but you may not have one.

Thanks.. the ceiling here is very high as they used all the space to make the place lighter so I can barely even reach it. It will be fine as is for now.

Someone was telling me re the potato idea and advised "make sure you turn the power off or you will get.." and I joined in " fried potatoes.."

I lived here five months with no electricity after I arrived ( council cock-up , if you will excuse the vernacular) so this is no worry.

Advertisement