Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plaster effect on ceiling

Options
  • 03-06-2019 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi
    There's a strange plaster design on living room ceiling. Can this be painted over or not?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

How old is the house?

That strange plastic effect is probably ‘stipple’

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

BryanF wrote: »
    How old is the house?

That strange plastic effect is probably ‘stipple’

1994/5. Can it be painted over?

sugarman wrote: »
    If it's stipple it can, yeah.

Okay so what else could it be? It a spiral design.

Cat_M wrote: »
    Okay so what else could it be? It a spiral design.

Have a vague recollection that a painter told me years ago that it couldn't be painted. That's 12 yrs ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bmurphy007

Cat_M wrote: »
    Have a vague recollection that a painter told me years ago that it couldn't be painted. That's 12 yrs ago....

It's probably just old artex with a sponged finish I'd say paint away can't be much else unless there's ceiling tiles but I doubt it by the sounds of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'm sure it can be painted over but that will only change the colour not the texture

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Yes we have a textured appearance on some of our ceilings. Just purchased a 1980s bungalow. I want to replaster but budget is stretched enough as is. Doubt paint will smooth out that texture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

paint wont smooth out anything. Its the surface below the paint that dictates.

Ceiling is probably combed .

Thanks. It's only to clean it up not with any expectations of covering it in or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Fizah1410

Most probably you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it looks a bit dirty just brush it with the sweeping brush can work wonders.
    If your painting it, use the back of a sweeping brush to smooth it out a bit if it's bugging you.
    If your ceiling is high enough and you want to get rid of it put in a drop ceiling, it's cheap and quick compared to pulling it down and replastering it.

Advertisement