Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac forum - General chit chat/idle banter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

RIP to my mid-2011 MBA whose battery has just swollen to twice its size. Apart from the deformity this has caused, it's still working! But I think it's time has come. It's my own fault for leaving it plugged it all the time and not getting the battery replaced. Until I get a replacement machine I'm now back to using my even older 2009 MBP, though I'm going to have to see about disabling charging so I don't have a repeat of what happened to my MBA.

I had the same with my 2007 MacBook Pro, the battery was at the end of it's life-cycle, 'service battery' warning. I continued using it plugged in pretty much all the time and after a while the battery started to swell. They are easily replaced on those models and it's still working to this day, on OSX Yosemite!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What do you guys use for cloud storage? I've used SugarSync for a few years, over 30GB of stuff. It's acting up a bit at the moment and folders are not updating.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

iCloud Drive drove me nuts last night. It refused to sync on a MacBook Pro and a PC (running the new and improved version) and I needed a folder in a hurry. Of course you can’t airdrop a folder from iCloud Drive on iOS or download one from iCloud.com. Eventually it worked after disabling and enabling it on the Mac. What should have taken seconds cost me an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I preferred the days when you bought a computer program and it was yours but I was looking to add Microsoft Office and ended up getting the yearly subscription that comes with 1TB of storage on their OneDrive site. So even if you didn't use Excel or Word or whatever, you still get 1TB for €69 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You can still buy MS Office Home & Student as non-subscription download (was €149 last December).

They warn you that you won't get any updated features because it's not a subscription, and there's no cloud storage, but security patches and bug fixes still update automatically for (I think) five years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Type 17 wrote: »
    You can still buy MS Office Home & Student as non-subscription download (was €149 last December).

They warn you that you won't get any updated features because it's not a subscription, and there's no cloud storage, but security patches and bug fixes still update automatically for (I think) five years.

Yeah I realise that but when combined with the storage I thought the sub was a better way to go.

Of course, it depends on one's needs, I was just mentioning that a non-sub solution still exists, in case someone is reading this later...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I preferred the days when you bought a computer program and it was yours but I was looking to add Microsoft Office and ended up getting the yearly subscription that comes with 1TB of storage on their OneDrive site. So even if you didn't use Excel or Word or whatever, you still get 1TB for €69 a year.

I went with this. Cheaper than a streaming subscription. I had Office 2008, but hadn't used it in yonks. Also had 2011...after wiping and reinstalling yesterday it asked for the activation key which I no longer have. Anyway, both of those are past support. OneDrive's uploading now. It says there are 336 problems with file names with spaces, full stops, etc. Yesterday it 500+. Daft, really. We'll see.

Any of ye use Bootcamp these days?

Any of ye use Bootcamp these days?

Yes, working fine on a 2015 MBP with windows 10.

I use it for win-only programs for administrating my car, and bicycles (wife’s e-bike and Di2 gears on mine).

Hate windows though, mostly use MacOS on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Speaking of Bootcamp, are VMWare and Virtual PC still around?

I run a few VMs with Parallels for various work odds and ends. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Speaking of Bootcamp, are VMWare and Virtual PC still around?
    VMWare: yes. Virtual PC: yes but not as a Mac product -- Microsoft never ported it to Intel Macs.

Your other options for running a Windows VM are Parallels and VirtualBox. For running individual Windows apps there's Wine, and its commercial cousin, CrossOver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

See the 12 inch Macbook discontinued today.

I love mine, would have like to see the form factor become more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    See the 12 inch Macbook discontinued today.

I love mine, would have like to see the form factor become more powerful.

My wife has one, and about the only thing she likes about it is that it's pink...

Certainly a bit sad that we only have Airs and Pros again for now, but they did need to thin out that end of the range somehow I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

https://medium.com/@jonathan.leitschuh/zoom-zero-day-4-million-webcams-maybe-an-rce-just-get-them-to-visit-your-website-ac75c83f4ef5

Had to follow the instructions above earlier having previously installed Zoom for my girlfriend to do some remote job interview in the US.

https://medium.com/@jonathan.leitschuh/zoom-zero-day-4-million-webcams-maybe-an-rce-just-get-them-to-visit-your-website-ac75c83f4ef5

Had to follow the instructions above earlier having previously installed Zoom for my girlfriend to do some remote job interview in the US.

Haven't seen Zoom in action. Have used Blue Jeans for video conferencing, at the host's request. Are these all just competitors with Skype, more professional?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Mr.S wrote: »
    I like the design but from a price / spec point of view it made no sense, still a nice little machine though.

I just wanted iPad portability that I could develop on.
    Have used it everyday since.... I have it over 3years now actually! (just checked Apple mails for receipt) Still doing everything I need.

Bargain haha :)

(and no fan FTW!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Haven't seen Zoom in action. Have used Blue Jeans for video conferencing, at the host's request. Are these all just competitors with Skype, more professional?

Couldn't tell you, I never even used it myself! It seems popular with US companies though, fairly annoying I've had a massive security flaw on my Mac for months because of it.

Services like Zoom are more like Cisco’s Webex than Skype. They’re for hosting enterprise teleconferences.

You could have an employee delivering some talk with PowerPoint and dozens of people with the meeting ID can connect watch and listen, take over control, text chat ask questions etc.

Webex is the big one in the enterprise market, and it’s an awful unreliable bloated mess (as is tradition), so Zoom appeared to be attempting to be make their service just work, security be damned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I got myself an iPad Pro 12.9” with the Smart Keyboard a few weeks back .. increasingly I am finding it now properly replacing my MacBook Pro 13”

When you get used to it the functionality is quite good .. finally all the apps I use in work are now either iOS native or work perfectly fine on iOS safari.

And with MS 365 most of what we do is within the Teams environment which works really nicely.

I was due to replace the MacBook Pro this year but I think I’ll sweat it out for a while yet.

Forum seems to be ticking away nicely.

Finally sorted out my One Drive errors completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

John Lewis and Curry’s UK have the 12” MacBook for £799, but my card keeps getting declined when I use my AddressPal address.

Any idea what’s going on here so I can get it sorted?

John Lewis and Curry’s UK have the 12” MacBook for £799, but my card keeps getting declined when I use my AddressPal address.

Maybe because the registered address of the card is not the same as the address pal address (if that makes sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Maybe because the registered address of the card is not the same as the address pal address (if that makes sense).

If that’s the case then what would my options be?

Don’t know about those particular sites, some , you can pay with proper address and select a different delivery address, or maybe PayPal might work,If they accept that form of payment, sorry I can’t be more helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I often have to use Paypal when getting items delivered to Parcel Motel. However, it's also possible they just won't deliver such an expensive item to a virtual address/po box.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They won’t ship to forwarders. AddressPal say they don’t take laptops/ LI batteries in their T&Cs either.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

John Lewis deliver direct to Ireland, unless it excludes items with batteries? https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/delivery-information/international-delivery

[Edit] Found it, items with batteries excluded, apologies https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/delivery-information/international-delivery-terms-and-conditions

• Advertisement

Safari 13 is out.

Advertisement