Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I insure it?

Options
  • 07-06-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi, a few years ago we wanted to insure and use my sis in law's car for 12 months, she was leaving the country. There was a bit of bother in doing it as the insurance company explained we did not have 'insurable interest' in the car, as it wasnt ours. However, the nice lady in the local office found some way round it, and away we went.

We now wish to do it again, but the nice lady has left, and naturally the remaining staff are stone useless. We dont want to register the car in our names for various reasons
    Anybody know a get-around to this one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insurance companies have cracked down on this in recent times as it is known as fronting and became very common for parents to be the main policy holder on cars so that their child could drive it for a lot cheaper than insuring it themselves. Without transferring the car into one of your names where you stand to be at a financial loss in the event of an accident (this is what is meant by insurable interest) then I don't know how it can happen. You need to be very careful with these "get arounds" when it comes to insurance as they like to use the term full disclosure alot in their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

It might work with Liberty. I had a car in my mothers name under my policy. Worked 2 or 3 years without any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Thinking about it, if we got driving other cars on our own policy, that might suffice? I understand we,d likely lose the comp side of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Thinking about it, if we got driving other cars on our own policy, that might suffice? I understand we,d likely lose the comp side of cover.

Maybe, some policies insist the other car has current insurance in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

_Brian wrote: »
    Maybe, some policies insist the other car has current insurance in place.

+1 Aviva and Liberty do.
    oldsmokey wrote: »

You wouldn't necessarily lose the comp. cover. I have 'driving other cars' with fully comp. cover from Axa. There is no condition which says the other car needs to have it's own policy so I'd be fully covered if I drove a car with no policy.

But ...... Axa's cover includes the condition that: 'you do not regularly use or drive the car'. Other policies contain similar conditions so I'd advise you to check your own policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Aviva and Liberty do.

You wouldn't necessarily lose the comp. cover. I have 'driving other cars' with fully comp. cover from Axa. There is no condition which says the other car needs to have it's own policy so I'd be fully covered if I drove a car with no policy.

But ...... Axa's cover includes the condition that: 'you do not regularly use or drive the car'. Other policies contain similar conditions so I'd advise you to check your own policy.
    Cheers...thrres alwsys a hooring catch with em

Advertisement