Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Craft Cert or equivilent - Safe Electric

Options
  • 04-06-2019 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Some already qualified electricians might be able to answer this one best:

On the Safe Electric website, where it details the requirements for applying for membership, it asks for a copy of the applicants National Craft Cert or equivalent Level 6 award or higher.

Does anyone know what is an "equivalent Level 6 award"? Would a 3rd level Electrical/Electronic Engineering award be suitable?

I was not satisfied with the answer I got from SE when I phoned them to inquire. I got the impression they did not know what they were talking about, as the answer I received was basically a National Craft Cert or nothing. They could not give an example or explain what other certification would be suitable.

So why does the SE website state a National Craft Cert or equivalent? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Some already qualified electricians might be able to answer this one best:

On the Safe Electric website, where it details the requirements for applying for membership, it asks for a copy of the applicants National Craft Cert or equivalent Level 6 award or higher.

Does anyone know what is an "equivalent Level 6 award"? Would a 3rd level Electrical/Electronic Engineering award be suitable?

I was not satisfied with the answer I got from SE when I phoned them to inquire. I got the impression they did not know what they were talking about, as the answer I received was basically a National Craft Cert or nothing. They could not give an example or explain what other certification would be suitable.

So why does the SE website state a National Craft Cert or equivalent? :confused:

I was always told that an electrical engineer could join but that could just be Aul site talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

kramer1 wrote: »
    I was always told that an electrical engineer could join but that could just be Aul site talk

I'm surprised if they couldn't. For example, both elec apprentice and student studying elec engineering would learn about electrical science.

SE were stating that apprentice training is "completely different" compared to that in 3rd level eng course. This, of course, is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

I'm surprised if they couldn't. For example, both elec apprentice and student studying elec engineering would learn about electrical science.

SE were stating that apprentice training is "completely different" compared to that in 3rd level eng course. This, of course, is nonsense.

Probably to with the practical side of things , thats most of the work in fairness .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The equivalent would be a similar qualification from another jurisdiction. Being an electrical engineer doesn't qualify someone as an Electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sparkie18

I have both a national craft certificate as an electrician , and a bachelors degree as an electrical engineer when I registered it was my national craft Cert they wanted as opposed to my degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

They are completely different.
    No amount of learning at college gets you the experience and knowledge of working on the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

at a guess i would say it to recognize EU certs to allow for freedom of movement

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

17larsson wrote: »
    They are completely different.
    No amount of learning at college gets you the experience and knowledge of working on the job

Yes that's exactly it. It's like comparing a cop to a lawyer. They both work in occupations related to law but have completely different duties.
    I would imagine by equivalent they means things like overseas qualifications.

Advertisement