Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Worst Vegan Fare That You Have Experienced

Options
  • 12-05-2019 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Mine was a Vegan Breakfast in a restaurant in the east of the country. I was expecting the usual vegan fry with toast and coffee. What came out (after 50 minutes waiting!!) was:

A plate with three medium mushrooms, a mound of sliced boiled carrots & brocolli florets, plus a bowl of fries.
    That was my eleven euro "breakfast."
    Oh, and the coffee was an extra €2.50!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A pathetic starter of whole wheat bread with watery hummus, garnished sparsely with watercress and 3 or 4 roasted hazelnuts. Then a 'cauliflower steak' which was just embarrassing, especially at a table with relations I hadn't seen in a few years. They had their pork and beef.
    For the same cost, they had 3k calories, I had like 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I stayed in a b&b that dined out on its views rather than offerings. Despite being advised in advance that I was vegan, my options for breakfast were a wrinkly apple that looked weeks old, normal yogurt and dry toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

End of year do with work colleagues in the Market Bar - wings and pizza and the usual decent enough share and tear platters of finger food.

I got "salad with sauce". - To give them their dues, it was accurately described.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was charged 22 euro on what was just a plate of broccoli and rice before. Good few years ago now.
    Shelbourne hotel Christmas dinners are notoriously bad, my main was a bowl of couscous before hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

most hotels expecially our local ones here in donegal town, most dont understand the concept of vegan (in this day and age) you can barely get a vegetarian meal, we had a customer conference in one of them and the chef said he would do somethig special, got stuffed peppers stuffed with peppers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

most hotels expecially our local ones here in donegal town, most dont understand the concept of vegan (in this day and age) you can barely get a vegetarian meal, we had a customer conference in one of them and the chef said he would do somethig special, got stuffed peppers stuffed with peppers !

Sorry to hear about your experiences there. A vegan friend was in Donegal recently and she was well impressed so I told her what you said, ednwireland. Here's what she said:
    Yes. Not the hotels though. There's a Mexican called La Fiesta and it has vegan dishes. In one week we went 3 times. Best Mexican food by far in Ireland. There's an Indian with good reviews and a gastro pub with vegan lasagne. There's a cafe Bluebell with a vegan chocolate shortbread and a health food store with some salad and soup. All on or near the square. I'd be up for organising a meetup in the Mexican.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sorry to hear about your experiences there. A vegan friend was in Donegal recently and she was well impressed so I told her what you said, ednwireland. Here's what she said:

ah la fiesta and the house my two favourite restaurants in the town (i live here so end up eating places i wouldnt choose)

yes the mexican is a fantastic addition, amazing decor, reminds of a trip i made to mexico city and guanajuato years ago. sunday breakfast now as well !

indian is good but eaten there too much over the years!

its just that the restaurants here havent caught up yet its still predominantly meat and 2 veg, i suspect they will have to change fast over the next couple of years.

simple simons is worth a lunch shot if your vegan/vegetarian as well good choice there.

if i really want a treat i go to sweet beats in sligo !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

A "trick" (if you want to call it that) I found on a recent trip to Donegal was to order the sides on a non-vegetarian friendly menu and combine them for a good lunch - consisting of a portion of beans, fries and mushy peas. Cost €9 and was a passable lunch for two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

My sister and I went to a 4 star hotel for afternoon tea. We did call in advance as I'm coeliac and she's vegan so we know it can be problematic.
    I got meringue, chocolate mousse, gluten free sandwiches , clotted cream, GF scones etc. Yum!
    She got some chopped fruit, jam to dip them in, carrot and cucumber sticks and black olive tapenade. Oh dear!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haha, no way I'd be paying. Afternoon tea is expensive, that is crap. There are plenty of places in dublin that do a good vegan afternoon tea now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

A "trick" (if you want to call it that) I found on a recent trip to Donegal was to order the sides on a non-vegetarian friendly menu and combine them for a good lunch - consisting of a portion of beans, fries and mushy peas. Cost €9 and was a passable lunch for two!

Nice one. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement