Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanity Check- Momentum/Collision Question

Options
  • 07-05-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I would appreciate a sanity check as my solution just doesn't "feel" right.

The question: A very small object with a mass of m and velocity of +2v catches up to and strikes a much larger object in motion with a velocity of +v and a mass of M, in a perfectly elastic, head-on, one-dimensional collision.

We know from that momentum and Kinetic energy are conserved.

Thus,
    v₁ + v₁' = v₂'+v₂

Which when stated means: the relative speed between the two particles before and after the collision is equal. Regardless, of the masses.

Approximating the speed of the large object to be equal before and after the collision
    v₂ ≃ v₂'

By substitution
    2v + v₁' = v + v

=> v₁' = 0

Thus, the small mass is at rest after the collision.:confused:

Which again, just "feels" wrong, but looks right, Math-wise.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I right I wrote: »

Approximating the speed of the large object to be equal before and after the collision
    v₂ ≃ v₂'

This is your problem. The speed of the large mass before and after isn't equal. It mightn't change much but the small change for the large mass will cause a larger change for the small mass.

Advertisement