Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation for Sicily Wedding

Options
  • 03-06-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I need some expert help. I'm going to a wedding in Sicily in July. I will melt. I'm not great at makeup at the best of times and already have pretty oily skin so I'm assuming I'm going to have to reapply powder a number of times during the day to maintain the makeup. My problem is what sort of foundation to wear and what sort of powder.
    On a daily basis I use the No7 Beautifully Matte foundation which is fine for the office but I'm not sure if it would just melt off my face in 30 degree heat over there. I also have pretty terrible skin with hormonal acne on my jawline. I tried the Estee Lauder Double Wear before and absolutely hated the full coverage. I've also tried Mac Studio Sculpt and also think that's pretty crap and cakey looking.

So I'm at a loss. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

How are you applying the Double Wear? I found when I applied it very sparingly with a damp Beauty Blender it gave great coverage without looking cakey or mask-like. I didn't need powder, even on very hot days, but I have quite dry skin.
    Maybe worth trying it again, perhaps with a primer/setting spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Folks,

I need some expert help. I'm going to a wedding in Sicily in July. I will melt. I'm not great at makeup at the best of times and already have pretty oily skin so I'm assuming I'm going to have to reapply powder a number of times during the day to maintain the makeup. My problem is what sort of foundation to wear and what sort of powder.
    On a daily basis I use the No7 Beautifully Matte foundation which is fine for the office but I'm not sure if it would just melt off my face in 30 degree heat over there. I also have pretty terrible skin with hormonal acne on my jawline. I tried the Estee Lauder Double Wear before and absolutely hated the full coverage. I've also tried Mac Studio Sculpt and also think that's pretty crap and cakey looking.

So I'm at a loss. Any recommendations?

I didn't like double wear either but there is a double wear light which i find good.

For weddings etc I think Charlotte Tilbury is the best foundstoon and doesnt budge. Get a few testers and try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Thanks for the advice guys. I've never used a beauty blender before so I'll give that a try. I'll also see if I can get a tester of the Charlotte Tilbury and the light double wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Seconded for trying primers and setting sprays too!

I've read that the Urban Decay setting spray is one of the best for keeping makeup in place so I'm gonna try that too. Feckin hot countries!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Lancome Teint Idole is fantastic & my new go to - its light, but great coverage and lasts really well. I have freckles and find it gives me coverage to cover my pores, but not too much to mask my face so i look like a different person.

There is an armani one that is brilliant too (cant remember the name), but it's the one without SPF in it, if you go to a counter, i think it's the most popular one.

Both are pricey, but well worth it in my opinion, and last for absolute ages as you don't need a whole lot !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I've read that the Urban Decay setting spray is one of the best for keeping makeup in place so I'm gonna try that too. Feckin hot countries!!

Theyve stopped doing the good one!!!

Im devastated. They still have one but its not as good as it used to be at all.

Im not much of a foundation wearer but I have been using the Catrice oil free one recently and just a tiny bit blended well gives me nice non cakey coverage and it doesnt melt off when I get hot at all.

Do you guys think a powder will be necessary as well as a setting spray to control shine?
    There's an NYX matt setting spray I tried which is just awful. Absolutely useless, I think my makeup stays better without it.

Ha, just been looking at the reviews on the Urban Decay website for their All Nighter setting spray and some of them are hilarious:

Coming from a stripper
    I use this to do my makeup before shifts and after all that dancing, my makeup does not budge! I look in the mirror ready to be disgusted and my makeup and I’m still looking flawless, THANK YOU URBAN DECAY xx

break up makeup
    Ok so i used this before a night out , i got dumped on this night out and even after half an hour of crying on the pub bathroom floor and 8 shots of tequila my makeup still stayed flawless , thank you urban decay.

Wow!!! I'm a believer!!!!!
    So, I got a sample of this, with my last order, & o my gosh, I am still stunned! I tried it yesterday, & its so awesome!! My makeup stayed perfect, despite being sweaty!! Their is a reason we're called "Hotlanta". Anyhow, I was kind of nervous at first, but its so awesome! The only reason that I gave it 4 stars is, it made my face kinda shiny for a little while after I put it on. I'll most def. be buying this in the future!!
    Hotlanta :D

I cried in the movie theater lol
    I cried watching Avengers Endgame and my makeup still looks flawless!

I had a root canal while using it before and my make up didnt budge ;)

But the old formula was much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Definitely try a combination of setting sprays and primers. MAC Fix+ can be good. All worth a try. I use the NYX and like it a lot, so your mileage may vary! Disappointing to hear that the UD has changed formula.

Have you ever used blotting paper? It's good to absorb oil without adding more product.

I found myself at a MAC Pro masterclass before (I'm in no way a MUA!), and one of the questions came up was that of doing wedding makeup up in hot climates. The teacher strongly suggested avoiding powders for topping up and trying to counteract effects of sweating, it'll end up all cakey, essentially mushing the makeup and sweat together :pac:

I second using the Beauty Blender, gives a gorgeous finish. If you're never used it before, the best method that works for me is to soak it in water under the tap, keep squeezing it to absorb water, and then squeeze it out in a towel so it's just damp. I dab the foundation on the skin with my finger and then blend with sponge. I'd recommend splashing out on the branded Beauty Blender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Another vote here for the original brand beauty blender. I use EL Double Wear for the day, just lash it on with the fingers but I use the beauty blender for nights out. It takes a bit longer but the finish is just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

....... wrote: »
    I had a root canal while using it before and my make up didnt budge ;)

But the old formula was much better.

Thats probably when skindinavia made them, have you tried their own brand setting sprays?

Twee. wrote: »
    Definitely try a combination of setting sprays and primers. MAC Fix+ can be good. All worth a try. I use the NYX and like it a lot, so your mileage may vary! Disappointing to hear that the UD has changed formula.

Have you ever used blotting paper? It's good to absorb oil without adding more product.

I found myself at a MAC Pro masterclass before (I'm in no way a MUA!), and one of the questions came up was that of doing wedding makeup up in hot climates. The teacher strongly suggested avoiding powders for topping up and trying to counteract effects of sweating, it'll end up all cakey, essentially mushing the makeup and sweat together :pac:

I second using the Beauty Blender, gives a gorgeous finish. If you're never used it before, the best method that works for me is to soak it in water under the tap, keep squeezing it to absorb water, and then squeeze it out in a towel so it's just damp. I dab the foundation on the skin with my finger and then blend with sponge. I'd recommend splashing out on the branded Beauty Blender.

Would the blotting paper not just remove a ton of makeup no? I'll avoid the powder so. Cakey makeup is my worst nightmare. :D
    Gonna pick up a beauty blender today - what's the difference between say a Real Techniques one for a fiver and one for 17 quid? I'll try your method too so thanks for that.

So recommendations on primers then?

GingerLily wrote: »
    Thats probably when skindinavia made them, have you tried their own brand setting sprays?

No - but I will!

Thanks for the tip!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Would the blotting paper not just remove a ton of makeup no? I'll avoid the powder so. Cakey makeup is my worst nightmare. :D
    Gonna pick up a beauty blender today - what's the difference between say a Real Techniques one for a fiver and one for 17 quid? I'll try your method too so thanks for that.

So recommendations on primers then?

It shouldn't wipe it off, just gently place on the skin and tap your finger over it. You could also use a clean powder puff or small fluffy brush to apply less pressure.

For the BB, I just find it more effective, it's bouncier or something!

For primers, I'm not sure how true this is, but the rule of thumb is to match your primer and foundation base ingredients for the best combination. Most products will be either water or silicone based, so you need to match like with like, water-based foundation with water-based primer etc.

Personally I like MAC Prep & Prime and Flormar Illuminating Prime. YSL and Lancome also have lovely ones.

Twee. wrote: »
    For primers, I'm not sure how true this is, but the rule of thumb is to match your primer and foundation base ingredients for the best combination. Most products will be either water or silicone based, so you need to match like with like, water-based foundation with water-based primer etc.

Personally I like MAC Prep & Prime and Flormar Illuminating Prime. YSL and Lancome also have lovely ones.

Oooh that's a good tip, I've never heard of that before! I'll have to check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I totally agree with whoever said to use the real beauty blender - the imitations are just a waste of money in my opinion.

The BB gives a stunning finish. I don't use mine everyday (brush is just quicker in the mornings) but if I'm doing my make up for going anywhere nice, I always use my BB, it just gives a fantastic finish without having too much product on your face - its basically magic.

Also agree with those saying not to keep adding foundation or powder throughout the day. It will only clump and look caked. The blotting paper could be useful to have, even if it just stops you from stressing. You just gently blot your skin so it shouldnt dislocate your makeup, just soak up any excess oil.

Finally, and destination wedding I've ever been to has been late in the day, around 5pm. Is this the case for you? If so you should have no problems, its not like running around with a full face during the midday sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

A powder SPF would be handy too if it’s going to be very sunny and you have oily skin. I think Clarins do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

A powder SPF would be handy too if it’s going to be very sunny and you have oily skin. I think Clarins do one.

So do Bare Minerals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I was a bridesmaid at a wedding in Portugal last September and it was still really hot then. One of the other bridesmaids did our makeup and as I far as I remember she used one of the Inglot foundations on us. I wouldn’t be a massive Inglot fan but it looked nice and stayed put all day. I think it was an Inglot powder she used on top of it as well.

I used one of my own primers, the Smashbox Photo Finish original one. Then I used my own Urban Decay setting spray to set it. She used a brush to apply the foundation but I always use my Beauty Blender, I wouldn’t go back to using a brush now, I find it gives an absolutely flawless finish to nearly all the foundations I’ve tried.

Oh! I've never heard of a powder SPF. I'll have to look into that.

I was a bridesmaid at a wedding in Portugal last September and it was still really hot then. One of the other bridesmaids did our makeup and as I far as I remember she used one of the Inglot foundations on us. I wouldn’t be a massive Inglot fan but it looked nice and stayed put all day. I think it was an Inglot powder she used on top of it as well.

I used one of my own primers, the Smashbox Photo Finish original one. Then I used my own Urban Decay setting spray to set it. She used a brush to apply the foundation but I always use my Beauty Blender, I wouldn’t go back to using a brush now, I find it gives an absolutely flawless finish to nearly all the foundations I’ve tried.

I had that smashbox primer before and thought it was ok. I actually used it for my own wedding and my makeup stayed pretty intact for the night. I never re-bought it when it ran out though. Maybe I'll just go back to it.

As an update, the wedding was on Friday. 28-30 degrees for the day with the wedding in a non air conditioned church for an hour and a half where I honestly thought I might pass out from the heat.
    Used the smashbox primer water, estee lauder double wear foundation applied with the beauty blender and the urban decay setting spray. Got a bit shiny on the tip of my nose but other than that the makeup didn't budge an inch. I was delighted. Makeup went on at about 1pm and was still there at 5am the next morning. So thanks for the advice guys.

Also got an odd tip from my beautician which worked a dream. Roll on antiperspirant dabbed onto the bit between your nose and top lip stops you sweating there. It sounds gross but I swear to god it worked so well. Put it on before I put on the foundation and there wasn't a drop of sweat there the whole day.

Advertisement