Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evelyn Cusack on RTE 1 Now

Options
  • 29-10-2011 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

..on 'Saturday Night Live' talking about last week's weather event in Dublin and Irish weather in general!

Thanks Oscar, couldn't think of her name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Along with Dr.Clara Finchele.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

..on 'Saturday Night Live' talking about last week's weather event in Dublin and Irish weather in general!

Every time i see Evelyn i get soaked the next day. Not switching over because i'm playing golf tomorrow and want to stay dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

And they are tearing him to shreds . . . :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

And that was it, short and sweet.. :cool:

And that was it, short and sweet.. :cool:

It was very good, I like the way they corrected every single one of his tabloid assumptions . . .:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

Along with Dr.Clara Finchele.

Think it should be Dr. Klara Finkele. Just being pedantic. ;)

It was very good, I like the way they corrected every single one of his tabloid assumptions . . .:P

I don't think Brendan O'Connor was that bad in fairness though I wish he'd gave them more time to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Evelyn said last night that the Postman was sending people into a tizzie and getting people worried and that it was irresponsible, especially older people who are worried that they are in for a hard winter of 3 months of cold.
    Someone should tell her that the Postman was one of the few that didn't forecast a severe winter. Misrepresenting someone on national TV like that is bad form in my opinion.
    Also I don't know why Brendan insisted on saying 'frog licking'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Pangea wrote: »
    Evelyn said last night that the Postman was sending people into a tizzie and getting people worried and that it was irresponsible, especially older people who are worried that they are in for a hard winter of 3 months of cold.
    Someone should tell her that the Postman was one of the few that didn't forecast a severe winter. Misrepresenting someone on national TV like that is bad form in my opinion.
    Also I don't know why Brendan insisted on saying 'frog licking'.

I think the postman is nothing more than a chancer. But even I agree she could have at least got her facts right.

I don't believe that he is just guessing what the weather will be like and trying to fool us in order to get attention, which I think is what you mean by a 'chancer'.
    The old signs of the weather were common practise among the older people, and he has collected the signs from the older generation from the Croaghs.

He believes that these certain signs signify a certain weather that will come.
    People can choose to believe him or not, after all such scrunity of anything abnormal is expected in this day and age, its the age we live in.
    But its the people that say he is a fraud and only out to con the people that I strongly disagree with. He doesn't have anything to gain from the forecasts (you may argue he has a book to sell but even at a stretch that isnt going to gain much income) and he has been forecasting a long time before the book came out and before he got the Dublin media attention.

Personally I think he has been pretty accurate with his forecasts here over the years, even when I was growing up when he would warn of snow.
    Sure he doesn't get it right all the time, I think he said St. Patrick's Day could be white this year and it wasn't. (It was around the same time we were all chasing that cold spell in FI that never materialised.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Evelyn is a chancer as the captain of that ship will attest.

000467db-640.jpg

Did Brendans house band play her song ??
    The Wreck of the Evelyn Cusack.

(To the Tune of )

Twas one balmy March night when the seabreezes light
    Were forecast to go stiff not to go slack
    And a gale it would be not a storm on the night
    Ye'll be grand said the Evelyn Cusack.

A while it would blow off shore on the seas
    And on deep water it wouldn't be much crack
    But inside Galway Bay there should be a lee
    Don't worry said the Evelyn Cusack

Some poor German chap not knowing about crap
    Forecasts from the Met Éireann work shack
    Set his anchor in sand and went for a nap
    He now wants to strangle that Evelyn Cusack

OHHH oh oh Ohhh I'll strangle that Evelyn Cusack

On a friday at dawn a big tug boat did schteam
    To pull her arse off of the sea wrack
    In Galway she lies with the quayside abeam
    And in hiding is the Evelyn Cusack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

If anything, Evelyn was a bit soft in dealing with the tripe Brendan was saying. The fact is that most people are too thick to listen to forecasts properly, and will deny they happened if it suits their usual anti-ME agenda. This happened after Monday's rain too, which they allegedly "didn't forecast". Yes they did, and issued a warning on Saturday. I suppose she did say though that Brendan didn't listen to it properly, so hopefully that was meant for the wider audience in general too.

I think maybe the Eagle should have gone on instead and stuck his claws into Brendan a bit more!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Brendan is a buffoon but attacking a soft target in Donegal on false pretences was frankly despicable behaviour. :(

Listening back to it I don't think she was referring to him personally. Yes they had been talking about him up to then, but she then went back to a point she had been talking about a little earlier about long-range forecasters in general. If you listen to it, she didn't specifically mention the postman when she spoke of the irresponsiblity of longrange forecasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Evelyn Cusack on a TV forecast last week said temperatures would get into the mid 20's, think it was for today.

Yeah, Yeah I know she really meant the mid teens but she didn't even notice she had said mid 20's, pity she didn't get to say that very often in the summer.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Brendan is a buffoon but attacking a soft target in Donegal on false pretences was frankly despicable behaviour. :(

A good point, but let's not forget that Evelyn Cusack, along with all the other weather presenters who work for Met Eireann or other organistations are they themselves often crudely attacked and blamed by the mob when a forecast does not go according to plan or, as in the case last Monday, misinterpreted.

Just because these people are hardcore scientists doesn't mean they are not human beings with real human feelings.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Listening back to it I don't think she was referring to him personally. Yes they had been talking about him up to then, but she then went back to a point she had been talking about a little earlier about long-range forecasters in general. If you listen to it, she didn't specifically mention the postman when she spoke of the irresponsiblity of longrange forecasters.

I did listen to it again earlier before my post, and when Brendan mentioned the postman she said and I quote
    " The only thing I would say about that it is sending people into a tizzie and getting people worried and its a little bit irresponsible and especially some elderly people who are worried they are going be in for another hard winter and 3 months of cold and they are actually worried about how they are going to heat the house and unfortunately we cant tell if we are going to be in for another cold winter but neither can anyone else, so its guess work, it is implying a knowledge or accuracy that just isn't there"
    She does imply that the postman made a severe winter forecast, this is the same misrepresentation that the garden centres have.
    Sure in her last sentence it was maybe directed towards every other long range forecaster but she choose to respond in that way when Brendan asked her about the postman.
    He did not predict any severe cold this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think we should get that Postie hauled before the Joe Duffy, promto.

First the garden centre closing becuse centre manager believed him responsible for the bad forecasts and now a weather girl lambasting him.

I'm booking Vincent Browne for this one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I would love to do MSc in Meteorology but you will need a strong maths background which I don't have :(

anyway..sorry if this is a bit off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ballsy O'Connor is quite the forecaster himself.

• Advertisement

Overall, having watched the clip I must say I think Evelyn Cusack was a bit arrogant and I'm really dissatisfied with her remark about it being anyone's guess ~ I guess we could save ourselves some money so and shut down the Met Service altogether.

I'm equally dissatisfied with the comedy double act with a Dr. that I had never heard of ~ as time passes, I'm less than impressed.

I don't like the comment about two Met Eireann representatives saying the total opposite so then a Met Eireann representative will be right?

And the comment of opening the window to see the sun shinning when it should be raining.

And Evelyn mentions that Met Eireann had pretty much accurately predicted the rainfall [but under to be factual] "but then we got it in three hours" ~ and she shrugs it off ~ not acceptable.

We do issue warnings and it's up to the person what to do about it ~ not satisfied with that either.

One of the main reasons that I started to frequent this forum was for the accuracy of the weather predictions and the odds of which way it would go and what conditions would lesson or enhance the event.

I've come here because I've been dissatisfied with Met Eireann for many, many years, at one time I only looked at Accuweather ~ but they've gone useless in recent months too.

gbee wrote: »
    Overall, having watched the clip I must say I think Evelyn Cusack was a bit arrogant and I'm really dissatisfied with her remark about it being anyone's guess ~ I guess we could save ourselves some money so and shut down the Met Service altogether.

Realistically, long range forecasting doesn't have any dependable have of accuracy, so from a layman's point of view watching, she is right - it is anyone's guess. Met Eireann is a very useful and essential agency to have, which most people depend on. It costs relatively little and provides a very valuable service. The Met Eireann bashing here is ridiculous.

I'm equally dissatisfied with the comedy double act with a Dr. that I had never heard of ~ as time passes, I'm less than impressed.

I don't like the comment about two Met Eireann representatives saying the total opposite so then a Met Eireann representative will be right?

The ''Dr. you have never heard of'' is one of Met Eireanns staff and can be heard most days on RTE Radio 1, she is a meteorologist like any of the rest of them.
    The ''comedy double act'' - this was an informal interview on a Saturday night light entertainment chat show - they were there to entertain, to be interesting guests - so what if hey're not 100% serious? This wasn't the 9.30 weather.

And the comment of opening the window to see the sun shinning when it should be raining.

And Evelyn mentions that Met Eireann had pretty much accurately predicted the rainfall [but under to be factual] "but then we got it in three hours" ~ and she shrugs it off ~ not acceptable.

She was commenting on the unpredictability of Irish weather, something we are all aware of. Met Eireann did forecast the rainfall within a few mm's, yes it fell quicker than expected, but the warning was out, it is not Met Eireann's duty to go out clearing the drains themselves.
    We do issue warnings and it's up to the person what to do about it ~ not satisfied with that either.

Any particular reason you're not satisfied? The warning was there, they can't force you to prepare for a flood.

The general attitude against Met Eireann on this forum is ridiculous, they provide an excellent service with the resources they have, and have a very good accuracy rate for a small island in the Atlantic that can have literally any weather at any time.

The general attitude against Met Eireann on this forum is ridiculous, they provide an excellent service with the resources they have, and have a very good accuracy rate for a small island in the Atlantic that can have literally any weather at any time.

I think I mentioned that I get better and more accurate forecasting from this forum and why I went looking for same.

Dr Klara Finkele has a BSc and MSc in applied mathematics from Germany and the US and a PhD in Meteorology from Australia. Her PhD work was on the numerical simulations and measurements of sea breezes.

Klara subsequently held post-doc positions at CSIRO in Canberra working on land surface processes and their parameterisation, and in Belgium working on bio-geochemical models for use in Global Climate Models before taking up a European funded position at Met Éireann working on Frontal and Atlantic Storm Track Experiment (FASTEX).

Since 2002 Klara is the Agricultural and Environmental Meteorologist at Met Éireann responsible for research and development in that area.

As you can see, she has a CV the length of her arm, and has been a regular on Radio 1 for a good while now. Just because some people here haven't heard her does not give them the right to automatically slate her.

I would second everything thetonynator has said. They issue them to the relevant authorities, it's up to them to act on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Some of the comments here are totally uncalled for. The Saturday Night Show is for entertainment value only.

Probably what would be better is for RTE to have a weekly weather program on that runs for 30 minutes, where a Met Eireann official attends and discusses in depth what is going on.

They could combine this with the forecast for the week ahead and bring in reports of weather from around the world.

Danno wrote: »
    Probably what would be better is for RTE to have a weekly weather program on that runs for 30 minutes, where a Met Eireann official attends and discusses in depth what is going on.

I reckon if they did that it could possibly be one of the most popular programs on RTE. I know the BBC do this though have only seen a couple episodes. On them they have popular weather presenters from the UK Met Office doing various educational pieces on various aspects of the weather with a question and answer time as well.

We could send in a petition to RTE. Get rid of 'Nationwide' and other such pointless programs and produce something of far more of interest to the general public!

Its been a while now since we heard Met Eireann were asking for members of the public to come forward for a documentary they were making about the weather and how it effected peoples lives. I wonder is it still going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Perhaps what is needed is a new style of forecasting in frank everyday language. Let's see how this does at end of week:

TODAY (1st) ... Nobody said it would be this nice.

TOMORROW ... They might have warned us this was coming.

THURSDAY ... I thought it was supposed to get better.

FRIDAY ... Sunshine? Nothing but low cloud and miserable damp rubbish.

OUTLOOK ... I just don't know. :D

OUTLOOK ... I just don't know. :D

Pretty slick there Mr MT, I doth dot my cap ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement