Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

So finally got my sub 30 in cabinteely this morning, helped in part by Olwyn and her encouragement! So since I started parkrun in August I've managed to knock 4:26 off my original run, great way to finish the year.

Thank you to everyone who volunteers, it's such a great organisation. Volunteering next week so anyone thinking about starting it for the new year, do!

Well done, thats brilliant. Do you have another new target to go for?

I was gutted today, I had a mishap with my alarm clock, it didn't go off. I woke up at 8.55 which is too late to get to my local park run. I had planned it all and was determined to also break the 30 minute mark, really, really disappointed not to get the run in. Now if anyone had said that to me back in August I would have thought they were mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

muddypaws wrote: »

I was gutted today, I had a mishap with my alarm clock, it didn't go off. I woke up at 8.55 which is too late to get to my local park run. I had planned it all and was determined to also break the 30 minute mark, really, really disappointed not to get the run in. Now if anyone had said that to me back in August I would have thought they were mad.

Snap! Except I didn't wake until 12:45!!!!!! :eek::eek: Obviously needed the rest! I'm going to aim for Griffeen tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

muddypaws wrote: »

Thank you, plan is to do a 10k in April so training for that starts next week. I'd like to do sub 60 so going to continue chipping away at the 5k time, I know it'll get harder to get more time off but would love to achieve a sub 27 by the summer.

I totally get the disappointment thing, my whole mindset has changed over this year. The me from new years eve 2015 would have laughed at the thought of doing a 5k on new years eve! You'll get the sub 30 next week, remember the alarm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Planning the double here - going to do Highbury Fields in the morning as part of my long run. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Did Castleblaney this morning. Second time I've done it. What a fantastic run it is and an amazing venue.

Really interesting route, nice variety of terrain.

Small enough numbers but super friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

We had an olympian among our 227 finishers in Ballincollig on Sat!

kalegy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Had an absolute ball this morning on DNS with the St. Anne's & Fr Collins double, a warm welcome by both teams, well done guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Achieved a new pb today 29.21 knocking 1 minute 10 seconds off my previous time!
    Not bad considering the rain and wind here in Brighton!! So thrilled, great start to the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Great morning in the northside at St Anne's and Fr Collins parkruns and a great start to the year. Big thanks to all the various parkruns who were represented at both venues.

A big thanks to all who turned up at Fr Collins, a new record of 198 runners this morning for our little parkrun so we're delighted that so many turned up and we hope to see ye all again at some stage. Check out our FB page for some photos of the morning if you're looking to find yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Had an absolute ball this morning on DNS with the St. Anne's & Fr Collins double, a warm welcome by both teams, well done guys :)

So which is better???:p

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So which is better???:p

Which park or which team?!! :D Both teams were equally fantastic however, St. Anne's park wins for me mainly because in today's freezing windy conditions it offered more shelter!! and of course there's Olives Coffee Shop :pac: Of course Cabinteely is still the best parkrun IMO :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

chinguetti wrote: »
    Great morning in the northside at St Anne's and Fr Collins parkruns and a great start to the year. Big thanks to all the various parkruns who were represented at both venues.

A big thanks to all who turned up at Fr Collins, a new record of 198 runners this morning for our little parkrun so we're delighted that so many turned up and we hope to see ye all again at some stage. Check out our FB page for some photos of the morning if you're looking to find yourself.

Sure was, I hope it becomes an annual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

good to see father Collins got big numbers,good fast course , friendly group,needs a boost from north side runners.

my loval run at river valley had a course pb of 16 mins from a young visitor from wigan.

16 mins impressive for river valley ,which has two steephills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't tried Ardgillan. My dentist described it as a "killer", it's on the list. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just floating this one but is parkrun open to unaccompanied teenagers? I'm a secondary school teacher and would love to encourage some of my kids to participate but I couldn't guarantee to always be there myself (I do parkrun in other locations when I'm with family)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Just floating this one but is parkrun open to unaccompanied teenagers? I'm a secondary school teacher and would love to encourage some of my kids to participate but I couldn't guarantee to always be there myself (I do parkrun in other locations when I'm with family)

As far as I know it's only U11s that must be within arms reach of a guardian at all times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As far as I know it's only U11s that must be within arms reach of a guardian at all times

Cool, I can only find stuff about minors and under 11s as you say but our guys would be older. We ran a survey recently that found more than 70% of our students would like to get fitter/be interested in a couch to 5k program. We're hoping to get one coordinated for them but Park run is a great motivator as well for their own runs. I should know, I couldn't even walk 5k last July!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Cool, I can only find stuff about minors and under 11s as you say but our guys would be older. We ran a survey recently that found more than 70% of our students would like to get fitter/be interested in a couch to 5k program. We're hoping to get one coordinated for them but Park run is a great motivator as well for their own runs. I should know, I couldn't even walk 5k last July!!

you'll find the parkrun policy here - ( http://wiki.parkrun.info/index.php/Children_and_parkrun )

Several schools both secondary and primary schools have already done this with great success, - always a good idea to contact your local event and give them a firm date for when you will be bringing your class along and they can ensure that there is a new runner briefing ( Volunteer role ) on that day most events have one but not all.
    Other then that ensure all are registered and that they have their barcodes with them on the day so they receive a time .
    great idea and well done for organizing it
    When you have done it and if you feel it went well please do feel free to leave you feedback here : http://www.parkrun.ie/feedback/
    if you,ve any questions let me know happy to help in any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

ISOP wrote: »
    first parkrun in Ireland today in Ennis, enjoyed it
    It is a cracking course at Leesroad, quite the tester for 5k

But it is very friendly crowd that do it and organise it, I was there too on Xmas eve and look forward to visiting again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

opus wrote: »
    We had an olympian among our 227 finishers in Ballincollig on Sat!

kalegy.jpg
    She came all the way from Australia, and forgot her barcode - must have been gutted! :P

• Advertisement

She came all the way from Australia, and forgot her barcode - must have been gutted! :P

:confused: All three of those in the photo were in the results so not sure who you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know if it's this Saturday or next when Operation Transformation starts with parkrun? I'll be there both days anyway myself but just wondering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

There's also junior parkrun if the kids are 14 or under.... it's only 2k, kids can run unaccompanied... and you get kids from 4-14 doing it. There are 2 around Dublin now (Rush and Albert College Park in Glasnevin) with at least 2 more starting up soon (St Anne's and Bray). Junior parkruns are on Sunday mornings at 9:30.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's this Saturday or next when Operation Transformation starts with parkrun? I'll be there both days anyway myself but just wondering...

Jan 14th is the first OT parkrun as far as I know.

As far as I know it's officially Saturday 14th for parkrun/OT kick off.

Edit: opus got in before me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks that's great. I want to help out as the numbers will swell with OT so that's great I should be able to get my run in this weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thanks that's great. I want to help out as the numbers will swell with OT so that's great I should be able to get my run in this weekend.

From the sounds of the increases in numbers that happens in Ireland with the OT stuff, and general new year resolution increases, it's a good opportunity for the regulars to help out with any extra volunteering roles that may be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Ballina have it down as this Saturday, 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Quite a few seem to have it for this Saturday. I'm volunteering as I thought it would be very busy

• Advertisement

It will most likely be busy anyway with lots of new years resolutions :) Karl Henry was on Today FM earlier and mentioned parkrun so there will be extra people regardless of the exact official date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement