Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grant for someone who lived in Germany the last 8 years

Options
  • 04-07-2019 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

amidst all the confusion of figuring out whether I was eligible for a mature student grant or not, I thought of my good friend boards.ie... Hopefully someone here might be able to give me some advice and clarity that I haven't been able to figure out myself ??...

So, I've applied for a masters (NUIG) and I've been accepted. Now I'm looking into whether I can still get a mature student grant - even though I've lived and worked in Germany the last 8 years. Apparently there is some rule (the last three out of five years need to have been lived in Ireland and otherwise I can only get a certain type of concession??)

I'm currently travelling too, so I haven't been paying any rent for the last five months (and only have an official residence on paper). I wonder how this will affect my application, if at all?

The SUSI application has asked for my CAO number - Is this the CAO number I received ten years ago or do I need to apply for a new one??

Thanks a million for any help you guys can give me in advance!!
    It would be very much appreciated!

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

sc.oconnor wrote: »
    Hi all,

amidst all the confusion of figuring out whether I was eligible for a mature student grant or not, I thought of my good friend boards.ie... Hopefully someone here might be able to give me some advice and clarity that I haven't been able to figure out myself ??...

So, I've applied for a masters (NUIG) and I've been accepted. Now I'm looking into whether I can still get a mature student grant - even though I've lived and worked in Germany the last 8 years. Apparently there is some rule (the last three out of five years need to have been lived in Ireland and otherwise I can only get a certain type of concession??)

I'm currently travelling too, so I haven't been paying any rent for the last five months (and only have an official residence on paper). I wonder how this will affect my application, if at all?

The SUSI application has asked for my CAO number - Is this the CAO number I received ten years ago or do I need to apply for a new one??

Thanks a million for any help you guys can give me in advance!!
    It would be very much appreciated!

Sean

To be eligible, you must have been resident in the Irish State or the EU/EEA/Swiss Federation for three of the last five years. You are limited to only tuition fee grant if this residency was outside of Ireland.

This will likely not make much of a difference to you as there is no maintenance grant at postgraduate level anyway unless you qualify for the Special Rate Award (You need to have been receiving an eligible long-term Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection payment in Ireland). The max grant (excluding Special Awards) is limited to a 2,000 fee contribution.

You will need to provide proof of residence that proves you satisfy the residency rule. A missing five month period in 2019 will not be problematic.

You don't need a CAO number for postgraduate applications, as you will not apply for these courses using the CAO system. Don't use an old one. You should be able to leave this field blank

Advertisement