Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic on coast road at St Annes turning right

Options
  • 17-04-2021 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

Why oh why cant they introduce a second lane at the junction of Mt Prospect ave and Clontarf road,traffic backed up miles because you have to wait forever for the one car in ten to turn right,For god sake theres an effing park beside this road,is it beyond planners wherewithall to use a few feet of this park to create a 2nd lane.I would imagine the carbon foot print of this one set of lights is off the scale,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

*Moved from Dublin County North because Clontarf is in Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

dublin49 wrote: »
    Why oh why cant they introduce a second lane at the junction of Mt Prospect ave and Clontarf road,traffic backed up miles because you have to wait forever for the one car in ten to turn right,For god sake theres an effing park beside this road,is it beyond planners wherewithall to use a few feet of this park to create a 2nd lane.I would imagine the carbon foot print of this one set of lights is off the scale,

Does it really matter, I'm sure 9 times out of 10 you just catch up with traffic city bound very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dublin49

Beersmith wrote: »
    Does it really matter, I'm sure 9 times out of 10 you just catch up with traffic city bound very quickly

Im am not sure to what extent you are correct but to me I feel it cannot be right to have traffic backing up for miles that could easily be moving on with a second lane there is space to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Good luck getting a new lane added in there now! And it's hardly miles.
    It can be a feel like a pain waiting, but once it clears, it's easy enough to catch up to traffic ahead. You're just being impatient.

Effects wrote: »
    Good luck getting a new lane added in there now! And it's hardly miles.
    It can be a feel like a pain waiting, but once it clears, it's easy enough to catch up to traffic ahead. You're just being impatient.

as we cannot increase our road network in the city to any great degree I would imagine we need to challenge particularly bad pinch points ,especially if they are fixable relatively easily ,if we use the excuse that further on down the road there might be another pinch point for not taking action well then why ever do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Basic courtesy of other drivers would sort this problem. A similar issue happens on the Malahide Road at the junction with Killester Avenue, though there is a bus lane there to give some wriggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. I would imagine we need to challenge particularly bad pinch points...
    Why? Surely that would only encourage the use of private cars within the city area. Much better to make private car use an unviable option.

Why? Surely that would only encourage the use of private cars within the city area. Much better to make private car use an unviable option.

perhaps but judging by the traffic yesterday drivers have a huge tolerance for sitting in jams,actually they could sort the issue I raised by banning the right turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It used to be worse but they changed the sequence to give the city bound traffic more time on green than the howth bound.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

perhaps but judging by the traffic yesterday drivers have a huge tolerance for sitting in jams,actually they could sort the issue I raised by banning the right turn.
    There would be massive room to improve traffic flows around the city by removing most of the right turns out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I like the idea of left only turns, appeals to my inner Zoolander

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You don't decrease emissions by making it easier to drive. That always results in more driving.

And you certainly don't do it by turning park land into traffic lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just leave the car at home on sunny days and especially don't go anywhere near the coast, bloody lunatics I can never understand it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just leave the car at home on sunny days and especially don't go anywhere near the coast, bloody lunatics I can never understand it.

and you people with mobility issues stay at home, we don't need to see you as we fly past in our lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

spurious wrote: »
    and you people with mobility issues stay at home, we don't need to see you as we fly past in our lycra.

Yeah because all the people out sat in traffic like idiots at the weekend when the sun comes out are disabled, and I've never owned any lycra.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

spurious wrote: »

I'd say the people with mobility issues that actually need to use their cars to get around love spending their weekends stuck in traffic behind able-bodied people who won't walk 2km instead.

If it was only people with mobility issues that drove at every opportunity, then we wouldn't have any traffic in Dublin. They're not the problem.

Amirani wrote: »
    I'd say the people with mobility issues that actually need to use their cars to get around love spending their weekends stuck in traffic behind able-bodied people who won't walk 2km instead.

If it was only people with mobility issues that drove at every opportunity, then we wouldn't have any traffic in Dublin. They're not the problem.

If the surge in volumes seems to have coincided with the first weekend after the lifting of the 5km restriction, it rather suggests the cars are coming from further than that.

Not much support on here for my idea so I will suck it up .

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Fully agree with you.

If this road design issue is not corrected it is only a mater of time before an Ambulance attemping to travel towards the city is held up in traffic with potential serious consequences .

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

They only have to sequence the lights to give an extra 10 seconds of "green" to the city bound side to help that situation...

• Advertisement

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    They only have to sequence the lights to give an extra 10 seconds of "green" to the city bound side to help that situation...

They already give it extra but not sure by how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Not much support on here for my idea so I will suck it up .

Adding roads just adds traffic, so we should not be encouraging it. That said, I always pee off the drivers behind me when I'm heading north and stop here on green and let as many cars turn right as possible, before catching back up with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    Can they not just put one of those right arrow lights in? I agree it’s a real pain and in my view cars should be taken the right at the animal sculpture instead

Advertisement