Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths and irish

Options
  • 06-04-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all. Looking for any advice on degree courses. My daughter thinks she would like to be s second level teacher of maths and irish. She is looking at 2 options.
    1. A 4 year level 8 in Mary Immaculate which qualifies her as a maths & irish teacher.
    2. Doing maths and irish as a 3 year joint honours arts (?) Degree level 8 and following it up eith a postgrad teaching qualification.

Im wondering should she decide that teaching wasnt for her, would the maths element of the first option be less useful for her in industry than the maths qualification in the second option? Would the second one give her more options in the future if she left teaching?
    Its all new to me, so id be very grateful if anyone has the time to offer any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

carr62 wrote: »
    Hi all. Looking for any advice on degree courses. My daughter thinks she would like to be s second level teacher of maths and irish. She is looking at 2 options.
    1. A 4 year level 8 in Mary Immaculate which qualifies her as a maths & irish teacher.
    2. Doing maths and irish as a 3 year joint honours arts (?) Degree level 8 and following it up eith a postgrad teaching qualification.

Im wondering should she decide that teaching wasnt for her, would the maths element of the first option be less useful for her in industry than the maths qualification in the second option? Would the second one give her more options in the future if she left teaching?
    Its all new to me, so id be very grateful if anyone has the time to offer any advice. Thanks.

A BA in maths and Irish Vs a BA In education , maths and Irish.
    I don’t think if she decided not to do teaching that the education component would go against her. Always handy to have for grinds etc. do you live near Mary I - think this course is on the Thurlus campus. Also, factor in the cost of a 2 year PME if she did the general BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

You definitely need to factor in the cost of the pme in deciding between the two.

If she decides not to go into teaching, she would probably have to do a postgrad of some description either way, so for me, the direct entry would be the best option provided she gets the points for it, as they tend to be higher than for arts degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Thanks. She would tend to do extremely well at school so i doubt points would be an issue, though of course you can never be sure. She has found two direct entry courses ....of course it would be our luck that they could hardly be further away from us! But anyways, its looking like either Mary I or UCC. Shes looking forward to the whole college experience so isnt too enamoured about spending 4 years in Thurles.... says it doesnt have the same lure as 4 years of city life in a big college! So its possibly UCC. Is that a good choice? Thanks.

Thanks. She would tend to do extremely well at school so i doubt points would be an issue, though of course you can never be sure. She has found two direct entry courses ....of course it would be our luck that they could hardly be further away from us! But anyways, its looking like either Mary I or UCC. Shes looking forward to the whole college experience so isnt too enamoured about spending 4 years in Thurles.... says it doesnt have the same lure as 4 years of city life in a big college! So its possibly UCC. Is that a good choice? Thanks.

I suppose UCC will give her the experience of a bigger Town/city but with bigger rents also. Will it mean she will be living away from Home either way? Both will give her similar degrees, it will Be the experience that will differ. If it was me, I’d put both education degrees down as 1 and 2 on CAO in order of preference and then arts with the Intention of studying maths and Irish as no 3-7/8 - in order of university preference.

I suppose UCC will give her the experience of a bigger Town/city but with bigger rents also. Will it mean she will be living away from Home either way? Both will give her similar degrees, it will Be the experience that will differ. If it was me, I’d put both education degrees down as 1 and 2 on CAO in order of preference and then arts with the Intention of studying maths and Irish as no 3-7/8 - in order of university preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If the extra cost and the extra year aren’t issues for her, I’d say she should do them separately. Doing a degree in maths and Irish will give her more varied contacts in non-educational sectors than doing a teaching focused degree. She’ll still make the education contacts doing the PME.

Advertisement