Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed van on rochestown Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

they are certainly out in force by tunnel - 2 vans on approach to tunnel from Blackrock exit to Tunnel yesterday morning @10am ( Tunnel works ongoing at the time !) and on Friday evening no vans but cop on bike at the entrance of tunnel ( same side ) . I say while those works are ongoing now with the 60 km limit keep to limit as they having a field day ! Similar to the speed traps they had on N7 works into/out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

whatever76 wrote: »
    they are certainly out in force by tunnel - 2 vans on approach to tunnel from Blackrock exit to Tunnel yesterday morning @10am ( Tunnel works ongoing at the time !) and on Friday evening no vans but cop on bike at the entrance of tunnel ( same side ) . I say while those works are ongoing now with the 60 km limit keep to limit as they having a field day ! Similar to the speed traps they had on N7 works into/out of Dublin.

If they narrowed the lanes temporarily it might help and 60kph might not seem so out of place. Places like George's quay they should redesign completely, a wide lane (single) dual carriageway just invites putting the foot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

cc wrote: »
    If they narrowed the lanes temporarily it might help and 60kph might not seem so out of place. Places like George's quay they should redesign completely, a wide lane (single) dual carriageway just invites putting the foot down.

On Georges's Quay? That why a speed van can be justified.
    BTW it's not a dual carraigeway.

On Georges's Quay? That why a speed van can be justified.
    BTW it's not a dual carraigeway.

That's my point the road design is poor, the speedvan is needed because of it.

I know it's not a dual carriageway, it's a wide two lane one-way racetrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

No, the speed van is not a consequence of bad road design.

If a driver can't stay within the limit on G's Quay, a busy city centre street, they deserve the fines and points.
    "racetrack", "putting the foot down" I think you might need to review your city driving outlook.

• Advertisement

No, the speed van is not a consequence of bad road design.

If a driver can't stay within the limit on G's Quay, a busy city centre street, they deserve the fines and points.
    "racetrack", "putting the foot down" I think you might need to review your city driving outlook.

No need to get personal for my opinion, I cycle George's quay more than I drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

Speedvan in Mahon on Ringmahon Road near the turnoff for Castle Road.

They are not getting enough revenue so recently the places where they can setup have been added to.

The locations are supposed to be mapped on the Garda website but are conveniently missing

https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/road-safety/view-safety-camera-locations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Great to see more speed checks.

There should be cameras up on all roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mardyke wrote: »
    Great to see more speed checks.

There should be cameras up on all roads.

Totally agree, there's talk of IP cameras built into the next gen of traffic lights. Cars, cyclists, pedestrians will all have to obey. Make for safer roads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Sort out the speed limits country roads with 100km/h limits too high others too low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Totally agree, there's talk of IP cameras built into the next gen of traffic lights. Cars, cyclists, pedestrians will all have to obey. Make for safer roads

How on earth will this work for cyclists and pedestrians. Will we be chopping people?

Traffic Lights are to become revenue generators now ??

Before ye do that maybe sort out the biggest problem with Traffic Lights.

As we are talking about Cork and in the Cork sub forum -
    If you are passing through the main 'Tesco Mahon Point' junction.

When crossing the junction line at exactly 50 Kph the lights go Amber.
    Even before you reach the far side of the junction the lights are Red.

Therefore the lights themselves are forcing you to break the law.
    With modern equipment it is now possible to set the Amber timer to a more relevant time for each junction to give you enough time to get across before the Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

65535 wrote: »

By far the biggest problem with traffic lights is cars not stopping at them when they are red/amber.

I'm not saying that what you describe doesn't exist, but it is far from common.
    In over 30 years of driving, I have never encountered such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

65535 wrote: »
    Traffic Lights are to become revenue generators now ??

As we are talking about Cork and in the Cork sub forum -
    If you are passing through the main 'Tesco Mahon Point' junction.

When crossing the junction line at exactly 50 Kph the lights go Amber.
    Even before you reach the far side of the junction the lights are Red.

Therefore the lights themselves are forcing you to break the law.
    With modern equipment it is now possible to set the Amber timer to a more relevant time for each junction to give you enough time to get across before the Red.

It's the first set of lights that count. Otherwise you'd be breaking a light whenever you turn left or right at a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's the first set of lights that count. Otherwise you'd be breaking a light whenever you turn left or right at a junction.

I'd argue that the only people seeing red before they are through a junction are people who should have stopped on amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

TheChizler wrote: »

Yes, officially you can't ENTER a junction when the lights are red but you can EXIT a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Ye could move to China...they've got all of that there. Facial recognition etc. The lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

glog wrote: »
    Link?

Tattile do them, HikVision, there are a few vairents under development. Saw them at a recent demo of IP cameras for another purpose.

https://www.tattile.com/cameras-on-top-of-traffic-light/

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I'd argue that the only people seeing red before they are through a junction are people who should have stopped on amber.

We were all thinking it!
    That poster should slow down, stop breaking lights and stop trying to be a victim.

• Advertisement

Obviously you did not read or understand what I was saying.

On crossing the first line - at that time the lights went amber - Not before that.

Before exiting the junction the lights were red.

No argument at all - just a fact.

Advertisement