Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding partner to council house

Options
  • 24-03-2021 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I have a council house I took over from my grandfather 3 years ago when he passed away. I know want to add my boyfriend onto it I'm just wondering if it's straightforward or is there a reason why they could actually say no. He'll pay rent and we have no problem getting means tested. Looking for advice in cork region thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Lynnyh wrote: »
    Hi I have a council house I took over from my grandfather 3 years ago when he passed away. I know want to add my boyfriend onto it I'm just wondering if it's straightforward or is there a reason why they could actually say no. He'll pay rent and we have no problem getting means tested. Looking for advice in cork region thanks

Go into/ring your housing officer and they’ll arrange it. It’s straightforward enough. Are you looking to add him as an occupant or joint tenant? If a joint tenant it’s a new tenancy agreement. I’ve been through this in the last 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lynnyh

Brilliant being honest I want him to have security in the house if something happened me he would have no where at all as his mam passed away and that's the only family he had. I don't have any kids and it's a three bedroom house I was worried they'd make my downsize or just point blank refuse to let him live there. This gives me a bit of hope thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Brilliant being honest I want him to have security in the house if something happened me he would have no where at all as his mam passed away and that's the only family he had. I don't have any kids and it's a three bedroom house I was worried they'd make my downsize or just point blank refuse to let him live there. This gives me a bit of hope thank you

That’s great. Nothing better than being secure. As you’re already in there they won’t make you downsize, they may suggest it but can’t force you. They’ll allow him live there no problem, garda vetting is a certainty by the way. Stay positive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,983 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You'll have no problem adding him but you'll be strongly advised to add him as an occupant not a tenant and for your own security I would follow it. I'm just saying for instance, if the relationship didn't work out he can't be removed as a tenant, the council can remove an occupant at your request though. The only way a tenant can be removed is if he agrees to leave or you go through the courts to prove the relationship has broken down and the judge grants the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,983 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And just to add they won't kick him out of the house if something was to happen to you. I think its 2 years of occupancy and they can inherit the tenancy.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    And just to add they won't kick him out of the house if something was to happen to you. I think its 2 years of occupancy and they can inherit the tenancy.

Thanks so much for your reply. The sense of security is making me feel a lot let stressed now thanks ðŸ˜႒

rob316 wrote: »

Thanks so much for your reply. The sense of security is making me feel a lot let stressed now thanks ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

I am in a similar situation to this.......My partner has a council house in which we both live with children, we are looking to buy the house in next few months. What's the best way to go about this so we can own it jointly?

Advertisement