Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subnautica

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've checked smyths, Argos and Gamestop for Subnautica: Below Zero and the PS4 version is around 30 while PS5 version is 35-40. The PS4 version has a free upgrade to PS5 so just a heads up to those who are gonna buy it. I've been reading it's not as good as the first but still still need to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll definitely be picking up Below Zero, will need something inbetween sessions of Mass Effect!

I'll definitely be picking up Below Zero, will need something inbetween sessions of Mass Effect!

Yeah my plan as well. Last time i played ME trilogy, i definitely felt the burn and ended up doing side stuff and never finishing 3. Want to play the remaster properly so my plan is get Resi 8, clear and sell it in a week and get Subnautica and ME and alternate sessions. Nothing else will get a look in for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Started this last night. Seems good so far but no real clue what I'm at. Have extra O2 capacity, scanner and knife unlocked. Just exploring close to the pod but not sure how far I should venture with the limited supplies I have.

skerry wrote: »
    Started this last night. Seems good so far but no real clue what I'm at. Have extra O2 capacity, scanner and knife unlocked. Just exploring close to the pod but not sure how far I should venture with the limited supplies I have.

Make a repair tool to get the radio working and you'll start getting signals to investigate. Good starting point to give an idea of the things out there. Reading about people's experiences starting off, i can't wait to give Below Zero a go.

Speaking of Below Zero, i still don't get the difference in price between ps4 and ps5 versions. Seems like a no brainer to go with the cheaper last gen version and then get the free upgrade.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Make a repair tool to get the radio working and you'll start getting signals to investigate. Good starting point to give an idea of the things out there. Reading about people's experiences starting off, i can't wait to give Below Zero a go.

Speaking of Below Zero, i still don't get the difference in price between ps4 and ps5 versions. Seems like a no brainer to go with the cheaper last gen version and then get the free upgrade.

Thanks, I seen that on the fabricator list alright so will work towards that. Kind of aimlessly investigating at the moment so something that will give a bit more direction on what to check out would be useful

Just to check, skerry, I'm assuming you're checking the survival guide in the datapad? It tells you the first things you need to do.

Havent seen anything called Survival Guide specifically but there is a Survival Checklist in the rightmost tab of the datapab which gives a very high level list of things to do. I just need to adventure further away from the pod I think. Don't want things spelled out too much anyway as I'm guessing its not that kind of game so I'll just get more adventurous and try get mats to repair the other modules I've yet to sort out in the pod

Havent seen anything called Survival Guide specifically but there is a Survival Checklist in the rightmost tab of the datapab which gives a very high level list of things to do. I just need to adventure further away from the pod I think. Don't want things spelled out too much anyway as I'm guessing its not that kind of game so I'll just get more adventurous and try get mats to repair the other modules I've yet to sort out in the pod

I remember I was the same, wouldn't swim far from the pod so wasn't finding anything. Upgraded O2 is essential and then the equipment to help you travel further/faster. One thing that got me out of my comfort zone though was (putting this in spoilers in case you don't want to see it, basically how I found roughly how big the playable area was)
    deciding to just swim away from the pod as far as I could. Found the 'limit' and saw how many meters away I was. Did this in a few directions and found the rough size of the map. Made me a lot more comfortable to venture out then with an actual area in mind as the entire ocean is a bit daunting.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I remember I was the same, wouldn't swim far from the pod so wasn't finding anything. Upgraded O2 is essential and then the equipment to help you travel further/faster. One thing that got me out of my comfort zone though was (putting this in spoilers in case you don't want to see it, basically how I found roughly how big the playable area was)
    deciding to just swim away from the pod as far as I could. Found the 'limit' and saw how many meters away I was. Did this in a few directions and found the rough size of the map. Made me a lot more comfortable to venture out then with an actual area in mind as the entire ocean is a bit daunting.

Sound, good to know I won't just wander off into an infinite ocean and there's a limit to how far I can go initially. I think I need to sort a torch cos once it gets dark I'm kind of limited in how far I can adventure.

I've had it on Game Pass for a while and on PS5 now as its part of the collection. It's never been too high on my radar but I've been reading the updates on this thread and it definitely seems to be a title well worth investing my time in.

Progress, I now have fins so I can swim faster and catch up with/ swim away from fishies. Found cave sulphur so have repair tool fabricated now. Fixed anything that needed fixing in the pod. Still wandering around but progress at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah get the fins/rebreather etc and upgrade them ASAP, massive improvement in comfort.

This and the sequel are out on Switch in a couple of days. Haven't played much on PS5 but I can see how this could be a great title to have portable

This and the sequel are out on Switch in a couple of days. Haven't played much on PS5 but I can see how this could be a great title to have portable

I think a game like this deserves the biggest screen possible. You will want to be surrounded by it, that's how good I found it. Would love to try the VR mode for it.

I have Below Zero bought, few euro off with Plus until today. I'm off the weekend so if I don't cave and get Mass Effect, I'll be taking my time exploring. And bricking it.

I think a game like this deserves the biggest screen possible. You will want to be surrounded by it, that's how good I found it. Would love to try the VR mode for it.

I have Below Zero bought, few euro off with Plus until today. I'm off the weekend so if I don't cave and get Mass Effect, I'll be taking my time exploring. And bricking it.

Never realised it had a discount, 27 euro for ps4 and ps5 version until Friday, very tempting but still trying to decide whether i want this physical or digital.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gonna try Below Zero entirely in VR this time. In theory, it should be amazing, but will be interesting to see how it runs.

Below Zero review. Starts with "Subnautica is a game I wish I could wipe from memory and play again. Below Zero is the next best thing". Sounds good to me :)

I skipped through the vid as I don't want any visual spoilers but they gave it a 9.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PS5/Series update for Subnautica is coming on Friday too.

Might be time for another playthrough....

Just got the Sea Glide. Proper exploring now and encountering some interesting things. Liking the way the game is organically drip feeding the upgrades and opening up the world. Looking forward to venturing a bit further tomorrow now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Reviews on Below Zero are coming in with some very fulsome praise. RPS say that it's the prefect continuation.

• Advertisement

More of the same and I'll be very happy. I know there's more on land stuff in this, but as long as they fixed having to hold the analog stick to run, it'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Ps5 version of the original game (free upgrade if you own ps4 version, which itself was free recently) is live on the store now

Below Zero is downloaded and ready to play, but I won't be going near it till Saturday evening. Working and it's busy so won't get a proper go of it tonight or tomorrow. Stoked though! Had planned on getting the ME trilogy, but the Plus auto renewing put a dampener on that until the 25th now!

Will have to give the first a go again with the updates, see how much has changed/improved. Hopefully the loading!

****ing hell. Decided to go with a physical copy. Both my local smyths and Argos out of stock for both ps4 and ps5. Out of 3 Gamestops in my area, only one had one ps4 copy which i managed to order for collection (3.50 delivery is cheeky when it costs 2 euro to post a game in Ireland). Saying staff have to check to make sure it's still available and will email me shortly. Might be getting it digitally yet.

The ps5 copy was 10 euro more so glad i was able to get the ps4 but not holding my breath. When there is 1 copy left, there's always the chance it goes missing or staff takes it and then tough ****. Going straight in this morning.

I should have just got it digitally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ah sugar. Just started this a few days ago thinking that save game would transfer over to PS5

https://twitter.com/virtual_don/status/1387912099372929026?s=20

Ah sugar. Just started this a few days ago thinking that save game would transfer over to PS5

https://twitter.com/virtual_don/status/1387912099372929026?s=20

Well that sucks. Was looking forward to the update but not gonna bother now. Is this a Sony thing or a Dev thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Well that sucks. Was looking forward to the update but not gonna bother now. Is this a Sony thing or a Dev thing

Hard to say.

From what I've seen on this issue from all the other games that it affects, it's primarily Sony, with the dev with a little bit of responsibility.

Games on the PS backend are quite siloed, so the same game in different regions are classed as different games. This has carried over to the PS5 era, as games on PS5 are seen as totally different games to the PS4 version, even within the same region. Sony don't do anything to mitigate this, so leave the problem up to the studio to solve, which generally involves having a server so that you can sync PS4 saves to, which then get converted and synced back down to your PS5.

It's in stark difference to the way Steam, MS, et all do it. Not sure on Nintendo.

Yupp, I had 3 different save files for Days Gone, my original PS4 physical one, my US digital copy and my PS5 ps plus collection one. Even though that wasn't an actual PS5 version, it still treated the save files differently.

Anyway, with Subnautica, you can speedrun it if you know the locations of items. I got a bit unlucky with the cutting tool as it took ages to find but you should be quick getting back to your last save point if you follow a guide maybe. Definitely wouldn't let that stop you experiencing the full story.

Got my order confirmed with Gamestop, phew. Between this and Mass Effect, I'll be a happy gamer for quite some time.

CatInABox wrote: »
    From what I've seen on this issue from all the other games that it affects, it's primarily Sony, with the dev with a little bit of responsibility.

Games on the PS backend are quite siloed, so the same game in different regions are classed as different games. This has carried over to the PS5 era, as games on PS5 are seen as totally different games to the PS4 version, even within the same region. Sony don't do anything to mitigate this, so leave the problem up to the studio to solve, which generally involves having a server so that you can sync PS4 saves to, which then get converted and synced back down to your PS5.

It's in stark difference to the way Steam, MS, et all do it. Not sure on Nintendo.

Should have went with my gut instinct and started it on Game Pass so. PS5 not getting much use so figured I'd fire it up on that, lesson learned.

I might start it on Game Pass with the new update and see how long it takes to get to where I am. Just got the Sea Moth last night and reluctant to go back to doggy paddling

• Advertisement

Should have went with my gut instinct and started it on Game Pass so. PS5 not getting much use so figured I'd fire it up on that, lesson learned.

I might start it on Game Pass with the new update and see how long it takes to get to where I am. Just got the Sea Moth last night and reluctant to go back to doggy paddling

Yeah, see if it's so much better that you can't imagine playing on last Gen consoles, and if so, then the second through is always so much faster.

More of the same and I'll be very happy. I know there's more on land stuff in this, but as long as they fixed having to hold the analog stick to run, it'll be grand!

Controller settings -> Run Mode
    1 - Hold to Run
    2 - Hold to Walk
    3 - Press to toggle

That'll do pig :)

Saves don't carry over? Ah shucks, guess I'll just have to play the first one again... But as said above, once you've played it once, you can basically fly through it then if you wanted. I'll give it another whirl after Below Zero, which is starting at me, ready to play, but stupid work!

Well Below Zero is a pure joy to play. Straight away, it looks soooo nice on the ps5 and i have it set to favour framerate, so much smoother than the first game. Then you can pin resources and equipment to show up on the side of your screen so you can see what you need and how many resources to collect, it's so handy. Was able to go straight out and build the basic items, i forgot how bad your oxygen levels are without even the standard tank. I also like the voiced protag, gives a nice personality and drive to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Such a great game.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Curiosity got the better of me and just checked Before Zero stock in Argos and Smyths and both have copies now. There must have been some delay in Ireland. 30 euro for the ps4 version and you get an option for a ps5 upgrade free when you put in the disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Started this tonight, definitely has potential and excellent atmosphere with the headphones on. Got a bit frustrated tho by having to bob up for oxygen every 20 seconds, I'm guessing once you've some upgrades you can breathe for longer underwater? Looks like I need repair tool to fix some important stuff in the dingy-capsule yoke but couldn't find a spongey thing to craft it

Surprised by the amount of graphical pop up on the ps5 version, was ps4 the same? That kinda of thing wouldn't normally bother me but really noticeable, especially near that island

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Started this tonight, definitely has potential and excellent atmosphere with the headphones on. Got a bit frustrated tho by having to bob up for oxygen every 20 seconds, I'm guessing once you've some upgrades you can breathe for longer underwater? Looks like I need repair tool to fix some important stuff in the dingy-capsule yoke but couldn't find a spongey thing to craft it

Surprised by the amount of graphical pop up on the ps5 version, was ps4 the same? That kinda of thing wouldn't normally bother me but really noticeable, especially near that island

Found the pop in very bad myself but didn't ruin the experience. Went from playing PS4 version to Series X and its definitely not as bad on Series X. Once you get equipment to make you faster underwater the pop in gets bad to the point of crashing into things that just emerge in front of you in certain biomes. Still a great game so far from what I've played though.

Is it cave sulphur your short on for the repair tool? Visit a few caves and some mad yolk will chase you and go back to where he came from, red thing on the wall, and you'll get sulphur.

Like the others, yupp the pop in was awful on ps4. I nearly gave up as i couldn't find cave sulphur for the repair tool . As above, check caves near your starting point, a small fish thing should swim out of a shell and chase you. It explodes when it gets near so swim away until it does and then go back to the shell for the sulpher. Fix the radio then for story beats and points of interest for you to explore.

As above, just focus on creating oxygen tanks, fins to go faster and the scanner at the start, that will help you explore and once you start scanning things, especially any parts that look like they've come from the ship, you unlock recipes for better equipment and soon you won't have to worry about air.

Not sure about anyone else but i play on the mode where you don't have hunger or thirst. It felt cheap at first but there's so much to worry about in the sea, it really helped me focus on the good stuff instead of food management. I'd recommend it is anyone gets annoyed by eating/drinking distractions.

About 6 hours into BZ and its more of the same so far so happy out. Haven't done much above water yet, and it was a bit of a pain having to craft everything from scratch again, but its a lot quicker this time around.

Line Zero, I play without hunger/thirst for the same reason. And yeah, forgot how little you could stay underwater at the beginning. Can't remember if it's in the first one, but that yoke that pulls you to the surface has saved me a few times. But I have the Seatruck now so no longer an issue.

Runs quite smooth on the 5, and still just as immersive. Gonna take a while to get used to the map and not confuse it with the original. Definitely recommend BZ if you're finished with the first.

• Advertisement

Bouncing between ME and Below Zero so not spending too much time with it yet but had another quick blast and decided to head in a random direction, found my first habitat.
    Went swimming, resurfaced to find myself in a cave, wandered around, caught in a storm and about 5 seconds from death when i found a habitat. Absolute ton of items to scan as well as finding out it was Sam's base, found her room and lab as well as the next story beat. Felt incredibly flukey to come across that like i did or else the game is incredibly well designed. Anyway, need to make a torch ASAP as the place was fecking dark. Turned on the object to highlight objects that can be interacted with and found a few things i had walked right past. Might leave it on while I'm still getting my bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

In my 90 minutes with BZ, I’ve probably done the equivalent of ten hours work in the original game. I was really nervous of this, but I’m liking what I’ve seen so far. Although, I am slightly concerned at how rapid my pace has been.

Yeah, it does feel like you're moving fast, but experience of the first game and a relatively quick period to get over the initial lack of oxygen and speed, means it feels faster. But only time will tell.

Zero, I'm not there yet but I also could have gone off in a tangent too, so probably just a very well designed map. Again. Speaking of maps, it was good to actually get one! Makes moving about slightly easier. Won't work for depth, but good bearings all the same.

Back to where I left off on my Series X game from dropping it on PS5 due to me being disgruntled about having to re-start to avail of the update on PS5. Much quicker this time getting the Sea Moth, which is the point I left off at. Picked up some more blueprints I had missed on first round too. Story opening up a bit now and really enjoying it. Was tempted to pick up Mass Effect but can't see myself dropping this anytime soon so Subnautica has saved me a purchase for the time being. Great game so far. I'm kind of regretting starting on survival mode though, gathering food and water supplies is getting a bit tedious.

Another session of Below Zero last night and found absolutely nothing :pac: Need some silver for my next bunch of equipment and I'm not hitting the right spots but sure I'll come across it soon. It would actually annoy me if I had to stop looking for resources to go find food and drink instead.

A nice addition is every now and then you'll find some lumps of rock with 6-10 of a certain resource. I was lucky to have found 2 silver ones and have more silver than I need right now. Will be getting back to this again tomorrow night, need to have the headphones on imo and can't do that while working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

Anyone get this for the switch ? If so how is it on this platform vs a ps5 / series x

So according to the save file, I've 18 hours played. It's good, especially under water, as expected. The on land bits take a while to get used to, but once you get the Snowfox it's grand, albeit I've no idea of where I be going at times. Spent a good 20 minutes last night trying to get back out of an area. Doesn't help that there's constant fog/snow storms rolling in making it very hard to keep track of where you are.

There appears to be 2 stories, the reason you're there and something else that happens soon after you start. Neither really gives good direction, and I've stumbled upon a few things by accident. I also somehow managed to avoid the "first" base until last night, so maybe other people will get parts there first and be far beyond me in terms of what's been done. Had to Google a few things, especially how to get Snow Stalker fur, I couldn't see anything point towards this being the only way to gather it, so I've either missed something or it really left it up to the player to figure out.

Overall, so far, it's good, but it's definitely not as good as the first. Going on land has taken away from the experience, and the underwater parts suffer as a result (smaller). There's excellent opportunities here though, and 4546B is a world I want to explore more of. They have said they will be making a "proper" sequel some day, but they're working on a different project right now. All I want is a proper mapping system! We can do all this mad stuff, but we can't make a map!

Went back to this finally and went off exploring. Found the Delta site and surprised to find a map of the whole area, definitely smaller than i thought would be. I have 2 beacons to follow and 2 spots on the map to reach but too deep for me so just made the rebreather, vehicle bay and sea glider. Nearly have the ingredients for the sea truck but i need a high capacity tank, that's my next goal.

Agree on the constant fog and snow storms. It's a beautiful world and most of the time, you just see a wall of white. Uber water is so much nicer to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

I started this on switch and im

utterly lost . Any tips starting off ?

Advertisement