Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm surprised its taken so long, Fury Road is probably one of my favorite films of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm surprised its taken so long, Fury Road is probably one of my favorite films of the last decade.

There was a legal dispute that took a couple of years to sort between Warner Brothers and Millers Production company. You really would have though after the success of Fury Road they'd have tried to sort it quicker and get a sequel green-lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did you know Immortan Joe was played by the same actor as Toecutter in the first Mad Max? Hugh Keays-Byrne:

54nzkfmiz9k41.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Thargor wrote: »
    Did you know Immortan Joe was played by the same actor as Toecutter in the first Mad Max? Hugh Keays-Byrne:

54nzkfmiz9k41.png

Is it ment to be the same charachter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is it ment to be the same charachter?

No, Joe has an entire back story in a comic series that acts as a prequel to Fury Road. I think he was high up in the military and he took over the citadel (the bullet farmer and people eater may have been under his command).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Confirmed: George Miller is working on Furiosa prequel, with casting underway for the titular role. Someone in their 20s, so trying to think myself who might be a good stand-in for Theron.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/movies/mad-max-sequel-furiosa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

pixelburp wrote: »
    Confirmed: George Miller is working on Furiosa prequel, with casting underway for the titular role. Someone in their 20s, so trying to think myself who might be a good stand-in for Theron.

Surely they’d just digitally de-age Theron?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭fitz

Jodie Comer might work if they were shooting now, but I suspect they'll want someone younger, especially as it'll probably be another couple of years at the earliest before this starts shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Meh not sure about this. We know where the character ends up. Would have preferred a sequel to her character.

Would have preferred a sequel to both characters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How about just making a Mad Max with Mad Mel actually playing him as an old guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TBH I don't care who the lead is, never really thought the "Max" part was important inasmuch as the bonkers, fuel injected apocalyptic world itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Joey King?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

I thought Mackenzie Davis did a decent job in "Terminator: Dark Fate" and would suit the role. She's in her 30's but I think could play in her 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

As an aside, I just rewatched Mad Max, Mad Max 2 and Mad Max beyond Thunderdome.... I forgot how bad Thunderdome was.... so so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I watched this couple of weeks back. I'd never seen the previous films so knew nothing about the history there. I just knew it was set out in a desert type setting with barbaric characters/groups etc.

As a stand alone movie, it's not up to much. It's just a constant chase back and forth. Blowing up vehicles.

For those that consider it a masterpiece, what am I missing. Is it that you'd want to have read the books to understand some context that is not clear from the film. I dunno.
    I do like action films to a point. I like Mission impossibles, Bonds etc. , where thay have at least some plot running through the film.
    But Fury Road had nothing. Just one big long chase scene. And a guy playing guitar, strapped to the front of a truck in the middle of a war zone. I think that was the final straw for me. But I kept watching thinking there must be something meaningful going to happen. But it didn't happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The key is Fury Road is the ultimate chase movie. It distills the action film down to its most primal elements: movement, momentum, survival.

There is a plot, but it's kept to something close to a bare minimum (although there are plenty of moments given to developing the story). We are told what we need to know, and trusted to infer the rest. It's a triumph of world-building in that regard: it's a wasteland filled with characters, history and relationships, but Miller often allows us to figure so much of that out through actions, hints and even character names. It's a world where fanatics spraying themselves with chrome seems perfectly natural, even though the film doesn't stop to say 'by the way, this is why they're doing that'. This is a grotesque, ugly, bizarre, absurd world - and we're always shown rather than told that. So often the plot gets in the way of why we watch action movies - Fury Road centres the action, and minimises the complications to focus on what really matters.

But really it's the filmmaking that elevates this: an unparalleled piece of artfully crafted action cinema. The hyper-saturated clarity of the visuals. The artificially sped-up movement that gives everything a twitchy, nervous energy. The relentless pounding of the soundtrack, which often overtly matches the in-world sounds so that the score and diegetic sound become delightfully tangled up together. The craft is something that complements and enhances the no-nonsense storytelling.

I really liked Fury Road when I saw it in the cinema, but was a little miffed at how seemingly simple it was (I'm sure my original thoughts in this thread reflect as much). It's only on rewatches - and I've surprised myself how many times I've returned to it in a relatively short period of time - that I've come to appreciate just how artfully and confidently crafted the film is to achieve that sense of simplicity. Come for the chase, stay for the incredible cinematic craft.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For me, it was that rare breed of action film that managed to absolutely nail the visceral thrill of the action sequences from start to finish without ever devolving to either "Here's the boring bit of the film where you watch big blobs of variably-convicing CGI wallop each other" or "and now the film screeches to a halt for ten minutes while a big leaden Exposition Turd is dumped inelegantly onto the screen", and as such I ended up going to see it at the cinema twice.

It brings to mind that description of sculpture as being about understanding how to see all the bits of your material that aren't part of the final work, and just removing those. There's barely a trace of flab to Fury Road, and it's all the better for it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The key is Fury Road is the ultimate chase movie. It distills the action film down to its most primal elements: movement, momentum, survival.

There is a plot, but it's kept to something close to a bare minimum (although there are plenty of moments given to developing the story). We are told what we need to know, and trusted to infer the rest. It's a triumph of world-building in that regard: it's a wasteland filled with characters, history and relationships, but Miller often allows us to figure so much of that out through actions, hints and even character names. It's a world where fanatics spraying themselves with chrome seems perfectly natural, even though the film doesn't stop to say 'by the way, this is why they're doing that'. This is a grotesque, ugly, bizarre, absurd world - and we're always shown rather than told that. So often the plot gets in the way of why we watch action movies - Fury Road centres the action, and minimises the complications to focus on what really matters.

But really it's the filmmaking that elevates this: an unparalleled piece of artfully crafted action cinema. The hyper-saturated clarity of the visuals. The artificially sped-up movement that gives everything a twitchy, nervous energy. The relentless pounding of the soundtrack, which often overtly matches the in-world sounds so that the score and diegetic sound become delightfully tangled up together. The craft is something that complements and enhances the no-nonsense storytelling.

I really liked Fury Road when I saw it in the cinema, but was a little miffed at how seemingly simple it was (I'm sure my original thoughts in this thread reflect as much). It's only on rewatches - and I've surprised myself how many times I've returned to it in a relatively short period of time - that I've come to appreciate just how artfully and confidently crafted the film is to achieve that sense of simplicity. Come for the chase, stay for the incredible cinematic craft.

Ok. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Just not for me. I couldn't imagine sitting down again to watch it. Probably just that I'm not into balls to the wall action e.g. hated that film Extraction. I like more character driven with a bit of drama and action. Watch three billboards outside Ebbing last night and loved it. And Hell or High Water before that. Anyway, not going to sidetract the thread any more.
    I do love Tom Hardy in movies. I've never seen anything disappointing that he was in. I might give the original Mad Max a spin some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

For those that consider it a masterpiece, what am I missing.

I would be of the same bewilderment as I've always found the movie to be average at best, with some very ropey dialogue and acting. The action was decent, but not enough to improve the movie, for me.

• Advertisement

In a recent interview, George Miller himself recently speculated Furiosa might have become a warlord, and as bad a tyrant as Imortan Joe:
    "I've often thought about it. There are two ways to go," Miller said of what comes after Furiosa frees the people of the Citadel from the rule of Immortan Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne). "One is utopian, which is not an interesting story, really. I've somehow imagined that the first thing she would do in line with that, is go up and release the water ... it wasn't withheld. … A New Deal, politically."

However, Miller notes that such a thing isn't likely, and draws upon influential theorist Joseph Campbell to explain why it is more likely Furiosa would become a tyrant.

"Campbell said that the usual story is that today's hero becomes tomorrow's tyrant. The hero is the agent of change. They basically relinquish self-interest in order for some common good," said Miller. "[Campbell] basically says … you love what you've built, or saved, too much. You become holdfast. You become the orthodoxy. You develop the dogma and basically then you have to protect it. That tends to be the rhythm of these things."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-miller-imagines-two-futures-mad-max-fury-road-1307554

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chris Hemsworth linked to male lead

Damn, Hugh Keays-Byrne, who played Immortan Joe, has passed away aged 73.

Filming for the Furiosa spin-off to start shooting in New South Wales in June this year; and going by Miller's comments will be a "saga".

https://twitter.com/AngelaBishop/status/1383948908263403523

Filming for the Furiosa spin-off to start shooting in New South Wales in June this year; and going by Miller's comments will be a "saga".

https://twitter.com/AngelaBishop/status/1383948908263403523

He's an incredibly active 76 year old, the fact he's planning out a saga is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

He's an incredibly active 76 year old, the fact he's planning out a saga is great.

I think he's being taken up wrong on the use of the word saga.
    I don't think he's implying there will be multiple movies, but that this one movie will be set over a longer period than the 3 days of Fury Road.

That does suggest it would be a very different movie though - and maybe lose that energy you get setting a movie in a shorter time period.

Yeah, I took "saga" to mean it was a film that'd jump back and forward across time - presumably encompassing Furiosa's life - allowing for the (studio mandated?) presence of Charlize Theron in the "present-day" segments. It'll definitely be trickier recreating that manic, unrelenting energy of Fury Road if the narrative has to constantly shift time periods; but if anyone can make it work ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I took "saga" to mean it was a film that'd jump back and forward across time - presumably encompassing Furiosa's life - allowing for the (studio mandated?) presence of Charlize Theron in the "present-day" segments. It'll definitely be trickier recreating that manic, unrelenting energy of Fury Road if the narrative has to constantly shift time periods; but if anyone can make it work ...

I was thinking the same. Also my impression has always been that Miller finds dialogue scenes boring to the point of not wanting to direct them (as happened in Mad Max 3). Flashbacks throughout an action-packed present might be how he'll do it. Or maybe he'll find a way of telling Furiosa's life story visually.

I think he's indicated in past that Max is gonna get another movie too. So that's two lined up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement