Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP2 Interview

Options
  • 20-04-2021 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi everyone,
    I have an interview for an AP2 post next week. This is my first time applying for such a role.

Can anyone advise what sort of questions will come up? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

The questions will be based on the four management domains from Laos. Learn them well. Make sure you are familiar with your form, and that every answer is in the star formation, same as the form. They may ask for a different scenario where you used certain skills also, so be prepared with one more example for each domain. They expect that you will use the language of Laos throughout, so make sure your answers are littered with the buzz words.

You need to be familiar with your SSE too, and your part in it.

There are usual 2 questions from each domain, with a different interviewer asking questions from each.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Floricwil

Thanks for that info. Very useful.

Would anyone be able to recommend someone who teaches interview skills or who can assist with the application form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

A good place to start is to write out all the initiatives or policies you've been involved with or teams you've lead. Try and assign the list to domains then. You can find you have weaknesses in a domain and will need to work on that before an interview. The scores are for each section so one bad section can let you down.

I spent a good bit of time really going though the LAOS document and scouring other circulars and policy docs. I had two concrete examples from each domain that I could expand upon. The forms are long but if you have been in the school a few years and are working away in the background you won't have a problem filling it out.

Really think about yourself as a leader, for your sake and those around you. How would you foster teamwork, how have you done that? What are your real weaknesses and how have you worked on them? How do you reflect on yourself as a professional?

Lastly, if you don't get it get your points. As I said above it could be one domain letting you down and you can then work on this.

I don't know anyone who does prep for this but a friend who's been through it or a deputy or principal you know in a different school would be a good place to start. They lean heavily on the application so get a few pairs of eyes on it if your not confident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Harry freeman does a very worthwhile course in middle leadership, it’s on regularly in the different education centres. Not much good to you right now though! I think he does individual sessions too, if you contact him through his website you could get more details on that.

Advertisement