Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skerries

Options
  • 14-04-2021 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have been looking around Skerries recently and I was wondering if there are any council estates in Skerries?

Unusual not see any in a town this size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hi all,

Have been looking around Skerries recently and I was wondering if there are any council estates in Skerries?

Unusual not see any in a town this size?

Mourne Park, Hillside Close and Drive and St Patrick's.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

No way, Thanks for the reply, how is the area to live in generally? Is it quiet?

No way, Thanks for the reply, how is the area to live in generally? Is it quiet?

I don't live in Skerries, but know plenty who do, by all accounts it's a lovely place to live. My only issue would be the location, and the fact it's fairly removed by road from Swords and by extension Dublin itself. It is well enough served by the trains so it would depend where you have to get to to work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's a grand place to live..pricey to buy there.
    I don't really know what else to say other than it is very nice, but yes you would have a long enough commute if you were going to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Inquitus wrote: »
    ... and the fact it's fairly removed by road from Swords ...
    :confused: Has Swords become the centre of the universe now? :D

(Reminds me of the famous headline in The Sun - "Fog in Channel - Continent Cut Off").

• Advertisement

(Reminds me of the famous headline in The Sun - "Fog in Channel - Continent Cut Off").

Well Swords is the closest decent shopping center, and decent cinema, plus a fair bit of amenities otherwise. Skerries is well enough served by local shops, and the supermarket, as well as having a very good selection of restaurants. It's just if you work somewhere in town not well served by the train then the commute can be a major pita. I love Skerries, don't get me wrong, but you must agree it is a fair traipse to the more major conurbations of Dublin!

It's main saving grace is the train service is pretty decent if you time it right, and if you work close to Connolly, Lansdowne, Tara et al it gets you to work quicker than the Dart from Malahide would, also good for days out in Town.

I have heard of no trouble from the council estates in Skerries @Wishbone Ash? It also seems these council estates are slowly becoming gentrified as people used the rent to buy scheme and then latterly sell onto private buyers, if my understanding is correct that is probably where the best value lies in Skerries if you have a long term eye on the future. I had a cousin who lived in Islington London in a council townhouse 30-40 years back, when his mum, my aunt passed, he bought it on the "rent to buy scheme" for a song and sold it recently for over £500k as the whole of Islington gentrified and became trendy AF.

Glad to hear there is not much trouble up that way. I agree very pricey but the peace and quiet would be worth it I think. Plus the beach!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Glad to hear there is not much trouble up that way. I agree very pricey but the peace and quiet would be worth it I think. Plus the beach!

Are you looking at moving to Skerries? Or the north county in general?

Yes looking to move to skerries. Are there any other spots you would suggest similar to Skerries?

• Advertisement

Yes looking to move to skerries. Are there any other spots you would suggest similar to Skerries?

Skerries is imho by far the best stretch of that bit of NCD coastline. Amenities wise, beach wise, some great restaurants and bars, I have heard the schooling is good to if that's a concern.

Thanks for all the feedback! Skerries seems a great spot. Just want to be cautious where I buy. Don't want to end up somewhere that's noisy and troublesome

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well Swords is the closest decent shopping center, and decent cinema, plus a fair bit of amenities otherwise....
    Yes, I'm only winding you up! Seriously though, apart from the meeting point for club rides (pre Covid) I rarely have any need to be there and when I do, it's usually to Airside rather than Swords itself.
    Thanks for all the feedback! Skerries seems a great spot. Just want to be cautious where I buy. Don't want to end up somewhere that's noisy and troublesome
    You won't regret buying in Skerries. You'll get the odd incident of young lads roaring and shouting in the middle of the night but generally the loudest thing in Skerries are the bloody seagulls (squawking around my house from 4am each morning).

Litter seems to be on the increase since Covid/lockdown. I clean several streets around me almost daily but I often feel that it's a losing battle. Huge increase in discarded coffee cups/ice cream tubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭billyhead

Op. There's a reason you pay a premium price for a house in Skerries compared to Rush, Lusk, Donabate and Balbriggan.

billyhead wrote: »
    Op. There's a reason you pay a premium price for a house in Skerries compared to Rush, Lusk, Donabate and Balbriggan.

Aye

#1 Skerries by a long way

#2 Donabate
    #3 Rush
    #4 Lusk
    #5 Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

The older estates near the town centre are quiet. The newer developments to the north of the town also - but you'd need a car for everything. If you don't want noise and non-stop traffic then the town centre and the Harbour area are best avoided. The Harbour is busier than before Covid, with most of the pubs doing take-away pints and food up to 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I looked at a place in a ‘nee’ housing complex out there a way back & was a bit dumbfounded - parking a huge issue - HUGE - and higgledy piggledy houses everywhere - appartment blocks being built in corners and a whole new estate of micro houses sand gardens and ting appartment being built on what had previously been a meadow overlooking the estate. It’ll be a total nightmare in a few years - Heron Bay area - just outside of the council houses as you walk on by the coast out of the village centre. Huge new development.

Skerries itself seems lovely but very small - a cosy community & nice vibe but really sleepy quiet old village air to it. I’d say if you fall out with the wrong people you’ll be out forever. If you’re work from home forever or only one person working iy’d be a nice idyllic place to raise children - assuming they’re not in school in balbriggan . But pre-covid - having a friend who lives out there and staying overnight the drive commute to get out of the area and onto motorway for Dublin city is eyewatering.

I’d love a place down by the harbour but apart from the price tag and size of what I’d get the parking seems to be a bit of a nightmare - on street for most. Not something I’f be able to deal with tbh.

.. parking a huge issue - HUGE - ...
    I have yet to hear anyone in Skerries mention that parking is a problem.

...out of the village centre.
    .....Skerries itself seems lovely but very small - a cosy community & nice vibe but really sleepy quiet old village air to it....
    Have you lived all your life in Tokyo or Mexico City? In Ireland, Skerries falls into the category of 'Large Town'. I have never before heard anyone refer to it as a 'village'.

....I’d say if you fall out with the wrong people you’ll be out forever....
    :confused:
    .... the drive commute to get out of the area and onto motorway for Dublin city is eyewatering....
    You seem to have an obsession with private transport. I'd hardly consider a drive of 15 minutes to get to a motorway as 'eyewatering'. Many people live a few hours drive from a motorway.
    ..what I’d get the parking seems to be a bit of a nightmare ..
    More obsession with private transport and parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Have you lived all your life in Tokyo or Mexico City? In Ireland, Skerries falls into the category of 'Large Town'. I have never before heard anyone refer to it as a 'village'.

In fairness I've always known it as a village, even a quick Google search brings up 'coastal village' and 'fishing village'.

I think the word village sticks, like people still say Swords village or I'm heading down to the village etc. Sounds funny when someone says Swords town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's true about Swords - I've never referred to it as anything other than a village.

• Advertisement

Seems to be alot of houses for sale in Kelly's bay compared to other areas, Any ideas on why that would be???

Are you looking at buying there? What other areas in Skerries are you looking at?

Yes I'm looking buy. Hopefully in the next few weeks! Not set on any particular area just trying to figure things out.

Will drive out and have a nosey around this week but just wondering about Kelly's bay as there are a few houses available there currently.

Do you know anything about the estate or why there seems to be more availability there than in other parts?

Please feel free to pm me if you prefer.

.. but just wondering about Kelly's bay as there are a few houses available there currently.

Do you know anything about the estate or why there seems to be more availability there than in other parts?....
    Threre are quite a large number of houses in that area so, pro rata, there will be more houses for sale there on average. A lot of people buy a starter home there before moving on after a few years. I haven't heard anything negative about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Nothing negative about Kelly's Bay. I would imagine people are just cashing in and trading up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I clean several streets around me almost daily but I often feel that it's a losing battle. Huge increase in discarded coffee cups/ice cream tubs etc.

Thanks for doing that :)
    billyhead wrote: »

I'm convinced that at least part of that premium is because it's a massive pain in the arse to live the far side of the train tracks. Like you could be (as the crow flies) 50 metres from Selskar the far side of the tracks but it's completely inaccessible. Nearly all the available land between the tracks and sea has been developed already.

That plus Skerries people really don't like leaving as they're incredibly fond of the place so that pushes up demand. Understandably too. It's a lovely town and I found the commute by train grand when I was doing it.

OP: I live here and find it lovely. Great place to raise a family if that's a consideration. I also think Rush is a great spot and you'll get better value for money there and a similar commute if you're going by car (the Rush train station is a pain to get to however). Worth considering at least.

Khannie wrote: »
    ...I'm convinced that at least part of that premium is because it's a massive pain in the arse to live the far side of the train tracks. Like you could be (as the crow flies) 50 metres from Selskar the far side of the tracks but it's completely inaccessible... .
    I think that's a good thing as the railway acts as a sort of border preventing sprawl. I'd say 95% of people with a Skerries address live to the east of the railway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, I agree. It also forces house prices upwards by limiting supply is all.

Advertisement