Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Months in New Zealand

Options
  • 21-01-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning a 3 month holiday to New Zealand this year and we have a few questions. Some details before I proceed:

- We're arriving the first week in October and staying until mid December before going to Australia for a few weeks on the way home.
    - We're renting a campervan for our 3 months and plan to travel both islands doing a lot of hiking, sightseeing, kayaking and general exploring.

My first question is regarding the route. Our current plan has us arriving in Auckland and heading down the centre/west side of the north island for about 20 days, crossing to the south island and spending 38 days here and then working our way back up the north island for the last 15 days of our trip. Would this be the best route to take or should we just see one island in totality and then move on? What should be our split between north and south islands? We are hoping to do at least 1 great walk in both the north and south islands but haven't decided when or where (recommendations welcome!)

We're going to rent a self contained camper van but are stuck between one that has a 45L water tank and one that has an 80L tank. There are a few other differences but they are minor to us. Price difference is 3000 NZD between the two. We would definitely like to freedom camp as much as possible and only stop in to campsites once or twice a week max. Would a 45L tank be sufficient for a few days on the road if we used it sparingly?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

3 months in nz and then a few weeks in oz- bring 30 grand with ye! Would ye not do a few weeks in asia instead of oz-save a fortune.
    Nz is great, ended up doing an activity most days n they're costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Hi,

What company are you getting the campercvan off? I would certainly spend more time on the South Island than the North though that is personal choice. The camping facilities are incredible, for example on the Hooker Valley walk we pulled up and had a hot shower for 2euro in the facilities. I know you want to freedom camp as much as possible but I am just making the point you can pop in for a shower for so cheap, so I would take the cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d mooch up north of Auckland to start then work my way south keeping westish, cross over doa big lap of the south going anti clockwise then cross back and go up the east side back toward Auckland.
    I think I’d be looking to spend a bit more time on the South Island if it was me.

Yeah I would be the same. On the South Island go Picton, Kaikoura, Christchurch, Dunedin, The Caitlins, across to Milford Sound, Queenstown, go through Greymouth and Westport quite quickly and finish in Abel Tasman. Then follow route described above.

Also are you in a campervan in Oz? We were in one this time last year and sweet jesus it was roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

enricoh wrote: »
    3 months in nz and then a few weeks in oz- bring 30 grand with ye! Would ye not do a few weeks in asia instead of oz-save a fortune.
    Nz is great, ended up doing an activity most days n they're costly.

We've wanted to go to NZ for years so its top of our list of destinations. We have family in Oz that we can stay with and spending Christmas with so the costs over there shouldn't be an issue.

Hi,

What company are you getting the campercvan off? I would certainly spend more time on the South Island than the North though that is personal choice. The camping facilities are incredible, for example on the Hooker Valley walk we pulled up and had a hot shower for 2euro in the facilities. I know you want to freedom camp as much as possible but I am just making the point you can pop in for a shower for so cheap, so I would take the cheaper option.

We're planning to rent with Wendekreisen. They are one of the cheapest we have found (0 excess insurance included) and seem to have hundreds of excellent reviews. The camper will cost us about 5500 euro for the ~3 months but that's our transport and accommodation sorted for the most part (excluding fuel, camp sites etc.)

• Advertisement

Ah very good, I am jealous. A tip from me is to budget for some accommodation too, it is nice to break up the trip with an actual bed as a treat!

Also I forgot Blenheim in the above which would come after Picton, great for a wine tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Queenstown for the view from the ledge

Great jump too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Absolutely do the Hydro Attack shark in Queenstown, one of the best experiences of my life for lots of reasons.

I did 6.5 weeks in NZ on the Lions Tour in 2017. Loved the South Island and the very North of the North Island. Loved Christchurch and Wellington, not so keen on Auckland.

If you go to Tauranga head to The Crown and Badger, Jess there is a sweetheart and food and drink are awesome.

Caranica wrote: »
    Absolutely do the Hydro Attack shark in Queenstown, one of the best experiences of my life for lots of reasons.

I did 6.5 weeks in NZ on the Lions Tour in 2017. Loved the South Island and the very North of the North Island. Loved Christchurch and Wellington, not so keen on Auckland.

If you go to Tauranga head to The Crown and Badger, Jess there is a sweetheart and food and drink are awesome.

How did you travel around for the time you were there? Campervan or car rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Chavways wrote: »
    How did you travel around for the time you were there? Campervan or car rental?

I was on an organised tour so we had a coach, took some internal flights and took the ferry from Picton to Wellington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

clearly, no posts since. Welcome to the NZ forum OP, it deathly quiet here (Much like most of NZ :P)

I'd echo a lot of people and say concentrate on the south, its fantastic.

Taranaki is also considered the second best region in the world to visit by Nat Geo, though it's out of the way for most people and living there i'd say you'd be better off going east coast to be able to see more than staying on west coast.

Advertisement