Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving schools / instructors in Sligo

Options
  • 14-06-2007 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've decided that it's about time I learned how to drive.
    I would be grateful if ye could post up recommendations ye have about driving schools or instructors. Which did you use and which were the best and how much were the lessons?
    If you have had any bad experiences with a certain school you can PM me about it.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

madge
    I learned with the irish school of motoring, which i think is now the professional school of motoring.

But just on tip for ya, carrick on shannon is a better place to do your test. It is so much easier and not as busy as sligo.
    But then again that was 15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Give Vinnie McGuinn a shout.
    A few lessons with him and I could have done my test in my sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Madge wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I've decided that it's about time I learned how to drive.
    I would be grateful if ye could post up recommendations ye have about driving schools or instructors. Which did you use and which were the best and how much were the lessons?
    If you have had any bad experiences with a certain school you can PM me about it.

Thanks a mill

Patsy Gallagher. Brilliant instructor. I'll PM you his number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Patsy is good enough but will depend on your personality i think some people have varying opinions on driving instructors depending on personality.

I found James Kearns very good passed the test after a few lessons with him and used his car as my clutch just before my test.

http://www.kearnssom.com/home.htm not the greatest website but thats not important at the end of the day. He trained with ISM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

nanook wrote:
    madge

But just on tip for ya, carrick on shannon is a better place to do your test. It is so much easier and not as busy as sligo.
    But then again that was 15 years ago
    Sorry nanook but Dont do it Madge! I had heard the same way that carrick was easier. For a start, for me it was time consuming to get to (if coming a fair way away) and want to practice the route. Thats something that you'l be needing to do a huge amount to feel comfortable for the test. The traffic is atrocious which of course can be good practice but you'l have that in Sligo anyway!
    The other thing is i had a woman tester there that 'tutted' her way around the course at me. By the time we had finished my confidence was shattered and I was small enough to be put in the compartment on the dash board. :o
    Shall keep an ear out for you re a recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

tuppence wrote:
    The other thing is i had a woman tester there that 'tutted' her way around the course at me. By the time we had finished my confidence was shattered and I was small enough to be put in the compartment on the dash board. :o

She has no right to do that you know!?:mad:
    You should have complained!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

tuppence wrote:
    Sorry nanook but Dont do it Madge! I had heard the same way that carrick was easier. For a start, for me it was time consuming to get to (if coming a fair way away) and want to practice the route. Thats something that you'l be needing to do a huge amount to feel comfortable for the test. The traffic is atrocious which of course can be good practice but you'l have that in Sligo anyway!
    Shall keep an ear out for you re a recommendation.

ok may have to agree with tuppence on this but I do have a good bit of advise for you, no matter where you do your test, make sure and book an hour or two immeadiatly before you test is due, they will go over any potentail course and you have already done a trail run .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianwilliams82

Shannon School of Motoring is good. Paddy Noone is the man. Apparantly, he was a notorious boy racer in his day.
    Seriously, this guy is great. You will absolutely hate him at first because he'll have pointed out all your driving faults within 3 minutes, but he'll get you through the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Um. I'm not sure about the Shannon School of Motoring. I had two lessons, and although he has a right to take no chances with a driver he doesn't know in his car, when he put on a C.D. of what I think was the "Proms", I found found it more than a little distracting. I wouldn't criticise anyone's taste in music, but tooling along at all of twenty miles an hour, to the rousing strains of "Land of Hope and Glory", was comical in the most surreal sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

My wife has been to 3 different instructors in Sligo for various reasons and all of them should be struck off, the last 2 asked her to drop them off at their car and aloneher way back to our meeting point alone which is completely against the rules of the road and under new laws could result in having our car confiscated. One even told her she doesn't "really" need a qualified driver if nobody is available. This is the dreadful standard and no doubt it is countrywide.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nice of you to search for and dig up a 11 year old thread just to have a rant. No more grave digging please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement