Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safest town in Longford?

Options
  • 15-01-2021 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, so myself and my boyfriend are hoping to move in together in 2022 as we want to start a family and considering how high rent prices are all over the country we can only afford to move to Longford as rent prices are so cheap and we want to be able to live comfortably after rent is paid and it’s close to both of our jobs but the only downside is that my friends have been telling me that Longford is a very rough county and it’s unsafe and it’s a bit off putting. We were looking at Edgeworthstown as the town we’d like to move to but I’m just wondering is this a rough area too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hi, so myself and my boyfriend are hoping to move in together in 2022 as we want to start a family and considering how high rent prices are all over the country we can only afford to move to Longford as rent prices are so cheap and we want to be able to live comfortably after rent is paid and it’s close to both of our jobs but the only downside is that my friends have been telling me that Longford is a very rough county and it’s unsafe and it’s a bit off putting. We were looking at Edgeworthstown as the town we’d like to move to but I’m just wondering is this a rough area too?
    I'm afraid your friends are right, largely. The larger towns are the worst, but smaller communities are quite nice.
    I'd probably give Edgeworthstown a miss, but villages like Ardagh are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Its hard to say how rough things are. There are certainly estates in Longford Town and Edgeworthstown that are have a rough Irish element, but overall most towns are quiet enough away from those hotspots. But I'd think the same of Tallagh, blanch, lucan, etc

If you can find a house a little away from the town you'll have no bother, but you'd need a car (or two when you have kids) for everything.

If you are thinking long term, big well funded primary school in Edgeworthstown, but no secondary school. 2 secondary schools in both Granard and Ballymahon.

Edgeworthstown has the advantage of being on N4 and has a train station. Lots of investment in the town, new library and a new coworking business hub opening this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

• Registered Users Posts: 29 valarmorghulis

hey,just wondering if i could get some local advice ,considering buying in longford town,i’m renting in dublin 13 years,i see 2 beds in harbour point bang in town for 70k ,what’s the catch :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Madd002

Ok, so as someone who grew up in the town but now lives on the Ballinalee side, I can safely say do not live in the town, there are very little places to rent and those available are not great area wise. Nicer estates on the outskirts very rarely have vacancies as they tend to be longterm renters living there and know their in a nice estate. Aim for villages or enroute to one as most are only 10k either side to get to N4. also schools in each village have a bus service. As with most towns u have good bad and the ugly, Longford has become bit of a drugs hotspot in recent years, but like all towns and cities they are confined to certain areas, the town itself has become a bit rundown but if your like most people who go for the weekly shop etc all other services available. Nightlife not so good and theres not 1 restaurant u could go for a decent dinner. Chinese Indian & chippers main food services. As a mother of 2 older teenagers they very rarely frequent the town so would definitely recommend a village as they are fantastic local sports centres, community games etc.Hope this helps..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Good advice from previous posters, places like Ballinalee, Drumlish, Newtownforbes, Killashee only a short run to Longford. Smaller places like Ennybegs and Cullyfad or Bunlahy worth a look too, bit more rural but have good local communities.

For those thinking of moving you'll have to let us know what your priorities or expectations are.

The villages are small, and might just have one shop. Even the bigger towns would just have a Supervalu, so if you want to shop in Dunnes/Lidl/Aldi you have to drive to Longford Town or get a bus (search for local link to see timetables)

No jumping on a bus to town and nitelink back home.

Re Harbour Point, is it still used for asylum seekers? Used to be so lots of young men were there who can't get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Madd002

Yeah harbour point not great, alot of young multinational men hanging around that spot, on the upside Aldi right behind it..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

As previous posters have said def avoid Longford Town - the smaller villages few km outside the town the best option and even though they have local link bus I think you would still need access to car as the bus wouldnt be that frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

messrs wrote: »
    As previous posters have said def avoid Longford Town - the smaller villages few km outside the town the best option and even though they have local link bus I think you would still need access to car as the bus wouldnt be that frequent.

there are a few areas of Longford town that are not too bad
    Edgeworthstown as a town has really gone downhill

I'd say Ballymahon is probably the best town in the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Full of those with fancy caravans.

there are a few areas of Longford town that are not too bad
    Edgeworthstown as a town has really gone downhill

I'd say Ballymahon is probably the best town in the county

Edgeworthstown has got a lot of investment recently, so hopefully fortunes are changing.
    New library, civic building - near completion
    Business hub / coworking space- held up by covid, should be open at end of summer
    New steet scape approved
    Planning permission approved for new filling station

Hopefully it'll do to Edgeworthstown what centre parcs did for Ballymahon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Rent in Leitrim, it's cheap there too.

Advertisement