Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Scutigera coleoptrata?

Options
  • 27-10-2019 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Living in the SW part of Germany it’s not unsusual to find new species every year. A praying mantis or bee eaters are nothing special. But a few nights ago i found an interesting new insect on my porch.

It was quite fast and went down the outer wall to the basement. This night i was lucky and got two cell phone photos. So what is it? What i found at Wiki or something else?

493801.jpeg

493802.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

The body was easily 7-8 cm big. So twice the size of Scutigera coleoptrata which would be my guess. *scratches head*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

An interesting beast - according to wiki it gives the appearance of being 7-10 cm because of all the appendages, so this is probably it.

It has occurred to me that the spiders in my house must control flies, but now I need something to control the spiders. This beast looks like the solution. Can you send a few over to me in the post please.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Scutigera can grow huge (relatively speaking). And yes, that's one of them. If you disturb them, they easily drop their legs off, but if they die (e.g. if they drown) the legs don't fall off. IIRC, they also eat mosquitoes.
    They give me the creeps, the way they scuttle away. They're very fast, too!

Centipede-Bite.jpg
    rWGWQt6.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Thanks @New Home. They are creepy;)

Hopefully i find my CF card to get a few good shots with my real camera. Fascinating hunters and i hope successful. Can’t stand mosquitoes. :D

Advertisement