Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Financing a new motorhome

Options
  • 28-02-2021 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭

I know this might be a personal thing that people don't want to discuss, but given its a Sunday I can't ring a dealer to ask.

What are the most common ways that people finance new motorhomes? I'm sure not everyone has a nice big inheritance or a lump of money sitting in their accounts, so are there finance deals like with cars? PCP? HP?

Anything up to 30k or so I'd imagine people use the traditional credit union or bank loan over a 5 year term, but when brand new or nearly new ones can cost 80k + can anyone suggest how their being paid for?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

They're not pcp anyway. Hp is of course an option.
    Like everything in life, you have the option of paying for them from your own funds or borrowing, there's no 1 way people are paying for anything, be it a motor, a home or a motor home.
    80k is not really massive money, a well specced premium car can run to that figure, audis and BMW and merc, and you wouldn't even get a look at their flagship models for under 100k.

Motorhomes to me says older people in general, so maybe pension lump sums and severance packages have something to do with it. My own father bought a brand new van (Opel Movano) and is building one himself at the moment.

I buy them cheap as commercials and spend the legacy adding bits. By the time I'm done the conversion is worth about 3 - 4 times what the base vehicle cost. I just do one thing at a time.

If I was buying something already converted I'd haveta pull it all out and up-spec it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I buy them cheap as commercials and spend the legacy adding bits. By the time I'm done the conversion is worth about 3 - 4 times what the base vehicle cost. I just do one thing at a time.

If I was buying something already converted I'd haveta pull it all out and up-spec it anyway.
    We bought an older coach built 2 years ago not really knowing how much we'd use it or like it after years with a touring caravan. Turned out we loved it. That same camper needs work now though so I've been contemplating upgrading. 30-40k for a late noughties one doesn't strike me as fantastic value which was what led me to wondering if 80k on a brand new one to be kept a good number of years would be worth it - and if it was, what's the most common way of financing such a purchase. You never see finance deals mentioned on any of the bigger Irish dealers websites, it's always a case of ring us to find out more. It's like a big dark secret :rolleyes:

Sadly I haven't the time, the skills the space or the tools to fit out our own conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

As a previous posters says if you compare the price of a MH to that of a top end car if your in that sort of price range 80k is not that big of a whack .
    Id say a lot of people that buy new have got there over a couple of years, say a 35k initial investment you decide you like this camping lark so after 3 years you upgrade say 7k pa so you have you have another 20k to invest ... you see where I'm going with this ... you do ok with the trade in ,you now have a 50k van and before you know it after a few trades your kicking tyres of a new yoke
    not me unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I bought mine new in 2005, in the current climate it's worth over 50% of what I paid for it. That's 16 years of travel and holiday accommodation for about 35k. or put another way about €3,000 per year including tax, insurance, servicing and other incidentals.
    My current car is an 03 reg Volvo with over 256k miles on the clock.
    I'm a firm believer in buying quality and keeping longterm, I'm certainly not a numberplate snob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

As a previous posters says if you compare the price of a MH to that of a top end car if your in that sort of price range 80k is not that big of a whack
    Thing is though, finance deals are advertised all over the place to encourage you to buy the 80k car. 20% deposit with monthly repayments of X over 5 years. It's not hidden. There's no such advertising for motorhomes.

I can't help but think that buying new (if you can afford it) it's actually better value for money.
    niloc1951 wrote: »
    I bought mine new in 2005, in the current climate it's worth over 50% of what I paid for it. That's 16 years of travel and holiday accommodation for about 35k. or put another way about €3,000 per year including tax, insurance, servicing and other incidentals.
    You also have the peace of mind of knowing the entire vehicle history with nothing hidden. :)

That was another part of my musing yesterday while browsing Donedeal - wouldn't it be nice to buy something that has never been abused, nothing hidden, enjoy it for 10 years and still be worth over 50% of the initial outlay at that stage should you want to go again. I wouldn't be a number plate snob either, and while it must be great to be a seller with 50% equity left in the vehicle, as a buyer is sometimes wonder are they really worth it. While we'll probably end up buying used again, I can't help but think that buying new (if you can afford it) it's actually better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Motorhomes to me says older people in general, so maybe pension lump sums and severance packages have something to do with it.

Not always! :D Twenty years ago - so mid-thirties for me - our Volvo 740 estate, with extra rear-facing seats in the boot, was getting a bit tight for space when filled with the Mrs & 4 children & shopping/luggage/Christmas tree/stuff the children collected when out for a walk ...

We looked into buying a new SUV, saw the cost was :eek: and figured out that it wouldn't actually improve our situation very much, as most of our holidays at the time were spent getting to wherever we were going. We realised that logically, it would make more sense to spend the same amount of money on something that had everything including a kitchen sink (we already had a stove, a coolbox and a toilet of sorts in the Volvo).

Fast forward twenty years, the Volvo is parked in the lane out the back; the camper is parked on the lane out the front, most recently used to collect a load of timber from the DIY shop. Second best £45k I ever spent (the best-best was the £45k on the house that we sold to pay for it, and our new house in France)

I have no idea what it's worth now, but it's too useful to sell.

Top Dog wrote: »
    I can't help but think that buying new (if you can afford it) it's actually better value for money

I dunno...that first 10 miles costs ya €10k and then there's all that leisure market hardware they're charging you for fitment that wasn't worth the cost in the first place and needs an up-spec retrofit outtov the factory if you want to take yer tourer touring.

I like machines with no computers, no DPFs and no add blue. That means old time proven.

As regards the ideal; never abused...most people don't keep up with the maintenance or even know what's required, which can cause a hellova lottov issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I like machines with no computers, no DPFs and no add blue. That means old time proven.

The only problem with those kinds of machines is that they are banned from many cities and areas and the list is growing.
    Worst still in some countries they are tolled at up to €0.27 per kilometre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We're toying with the idea too, and it's a choice between updating a car or possibly, a camper/MH.

A friend of ours spend €70k on a VW and tbh, I think it's the way to go.

Otoh, my brother imported a 00 Hymer from NL last week, for a 1/3 what the VW and it looks like he got a great one.

Another friend went the other way and bought an old LT35 here. OMG. For all the tea in china I couldn't hack it, it's brutal.

Funny how I don't reallly see anyone actually pushing sales here at all.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

We purchased a second hand one about 10 years ago after getting a bit of inheritance. Normally motor homes are well looked after as they are a bit investment.
    I honestly don’t think I could justify paying for a brand new one .. no matter how much I would love one.
    Kept it for 2 years and sold it on and purchased a caravan. We actually sold it for same money we purchased it for.
    Local garage near to me sells them and I know he does finance if you have a trade in .

harr wrote: »
    I honestly don’t think I could justify paying for a brand new one .. no matter how much I would love one.

One of the major advantages to us in buying new was that we were, to borrow a housing term, buying "off plan" and had the opportunity to change that plan in some ways. Prior to settling on one make and model, we took all four children around showrooms and motorhome fairs and got them to role-play living in each vehicle. That really highlighted for us various design features that were important, and others that were lovely to see but totally impractical in a lively family situation.

As was mentioned above, much of the motorhome market is aimed at the "older" age group, so buying new meant we were able to, for example, ask that a comfortable-looking sofa was replaced with a second table, an additional seat and an extra wardrobe. That didn't cost us a penny more (although perhaps it was partially responsible for a delay in delivery ... :rolleyes: ) but the new configuration has been invaluable throughout all the stages of evolution of our 'van's use. A few years ago, I visited a multi-marque dealer's open day and couldn't find a single vehicle there that felt like an improvement on what we bought.

It might not have been quite as detailed a custom build as SirLiamlot would recommend, but it was certainly a lot easier to re-draw a design on paper than retro-fit, retro-fix a secondhand model.

(Full disclosure: 15 years later, I'm still fixing&fiddling with various things in a quest for perfection ... but sure that's only the same as with any house! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We recently took delivery of a brand new VW Grand California, which we've used financing to purchase. For us, it was worth the extra expense of buying new and manufacturer-built because I trust a company like VW to really put extra effort into the engineering and design of such things. Buying used obviously wasn't an option because the used market for Grand Californias doesn't exist yet, otherwise we'd have considered it.

We bought a used, converted VW T5 in the past and had incredible times with it, but there were just a few things here and there that were clearly compromised by the fact that it was post-converted and not built in a certain way from the start. It may even be that VW are doing a kind of post-conversion on already produced Crafters for the GC, but there's a level of access and knowledge there that I just don't think could be matched by a third-party converter.

There's lots of little details that I'm already loving, even though we obviously haven't been able to get away in it yet (picked it up before the VAT increase came in, otherwise we'd have stored it with the dealer for a while) — the built-in fly screens and how they work with the window blinds; the clever space-efficient design of the bathroom; the way the reversing camera is positioned so that a bicycle rack won't block it; the wonderful airplane style luggage cabinet; the ambient lighting; etc.

I'll praise one particular incredibly minor, but representative, detail that I love — there's a rooftop bed, and it has this slide-away design. It's supported on one side by the sliding mechanism, and on the other side there's a separate fold-away support hinge. The detail I love is this — when you slide the roof bed out, something in the internal mechanism causes that fold-away hinge to automatically fold-out, so you never forget about it.

Plus there are certain benefits from buying from an actual commercial manufacturer, which were hard to resist.

Buying new is not for everyone, and you need a fairly hefty deposit, but I think a lot of people write it off too much.

The other thing I'll say about this is more philosophical, perhaps. Motorhomes are one of those purchases where you just have to put a lot of financial logic aside and realise that what you're buying isn't an asset or an investment. You're buying years and years of incredible memories, and that's worth more than a whole lot of money.
    We didn't want to be the people who spend their lives saving up for a happy retirement, only to croak at 65 full of regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

MJohnston wrote: »
    We recently took delivery of a brand new VW Grand California, which we've used financing to purchase.

Can I ask what way you financed it? Downpayment? Over 10 years? I would think of doing similar myself in next couple of years

sumo12 wrote: »
    Can I ask what way you financed it? Downpayment? Over 10 years? I would think of doing similar myself in next couple of years

Hire Purchase, over 5 years, with just over 10% deposit.

We had the option of PCP too, but because that's limited to 3 years, it was actually a higher monthly payment, and in this case we absolutely want to keep the vehicle at the end, so it'd cost more at the end too.

We're in a (very fortunate) financial position where our assets are likely to grow a good bit more than the percentage we'll pay in interest over the HP period. So it didn't really make sense for us to cash-buy or even increase the deposit amount.

The only problem with those kinds of machines is that they are banned from many cities and areas and the list is growing.

Yeah but at least I'm guaranteed to get there. :pac:

Meh. Hasn't ever stoped me.
    I never go further than an oil change in the rest of the EU anyway. (5k miles).
    I do 10k mile a year in Éire

Those poor dolphins..:o

I never go further than an oil change in the rest of the EU anyway. (5k miles).

(does quick conversion to real money) :P 8000km ??? - one way, round trip or total? And there I was thinking you were a serious globe-trotter/roller! :pac:

The access restrictions in continental Europe are becoming a real pain for me, with my Euro3 engine, so I would list that as another reason to opt for a shiny new Euro6 if you could get it. In the last year of free-and-easy travel, I had to make a significant detour, or stop short of my destination about half a dozen times because of access restrictions that only applied to older vehicles such as mine. The stopping shorts were much more of an inconvenience than the detours, as they were all times when I would previously have stayed overnight exactly where I needed to be, instead of xkm away.

Of course that depends on how one uses ones motorhome. If you're going to pay expensive campsite fees to stay in a glorified field on the outskirts of the LEZ anyway, even though you have everything you need to stay in the city centre, well that's a whole other discussion ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Hire Purchase, over 5 years, with just over 10% deposit.

We had the option of PCP too, but because that's limited to 3 years, it was actually a higher monthly payment, and in this case we absolutely want to keep the vehicle at the end, so it'd cost more at the end too.

We're in a (very fortunate) financial position where our assets are likely to grow a good bit more than the percentage we'll pay in interest over the HP period. So it didn't really make sense for us to cash-buy or even increase the deposit amount.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel finance over 5 years would be ball-crushingly expensive every month for me anyway. I wonder do any finance companies do it over longer period here like in UK

(does quick conversion to real money) :P 8000km ??? - one way, round trip or total? And there I was thinking you were a serious globe-trotter/roller! :pac:

Berlin is only 1kmiles away similar to the Pyrenees.

Not a globe trotter. Full time live-aboard 5-years, part-time (6 month annual) live-aboard 4 years, I've been rebuilding a suspension about 2 years now and starting a truck conversion soon after I relaunch the original.

This is why I'm so intolerant about hardware that's leisure orientated. If you can't use it everyday like a normal person then it's junk. QED hands up who'd put a gas fridge in a house?
    And go anywhere vehicles setup up to require a permanent mains tether...what a calamity of design...:rolleyes:..

...One of these days I'm gonna report myself to a moderator about off-topic conversations...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

We recently took delivery of a brand new VW Grand California,
    You should definitely do s thread, love.to see it! Did you sell the old van?

Alkers wrote: »
    You should definitely do s thread, love.to see it! Did you sell the old van?

Yeah sold it back last September, used the money as deposit for the new one basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

As a previous posters says if you compare the price of a MH to that of a top end car if your in that sort of price range 80k is not that big of a whack .
    Id say a lot of people that buy new have got there over a couple of years, say a 35k initial investment you decide you like this camping lark so after 3 years you upgrade say 7k pa so you have you have another 20k to invest ... you see where I'm going with this ... you do ok with the trade in ,you now have a 50k van and before you know it after a few trades your kicking tyres of a new yoke
    not me unfortunately

Do you think lads buying 80k cars are buying them for cash? I bet most of them are PCP with 3% interest or less funded by the manufacture- not an option with motorhomes

For motorhomes I would go the credit union route who will likely give a longer finance option than they would for a car and a reasonable finance rate. They know that unlike a car, an 80k motorhomes isn’t going to shed 50% value in 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭covey123

What countries would that include?

covey123 wrote: »

GB, France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Cezchia and Poland for a start. Probably others, but they're the ones that bother me (all but the last two are effectively "home turf" for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭covey123

GB, France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Cezchia and Poland for a start. Probably others, but they're the ones that bother me (all but the last two are effectively "home turf" for me)

Didn't realize that! Could be a costly drive down the coast of France!

The hidden costs, unfortunately. There's a big difference, too, between how "small" MHs are treated and bigger ones. Anything over 3m high is prohibitively expensive on Pay As You Go motorways (France, tunnels, etc; not too bad in Austria and Switzerland where it's a flat rate for the week/year); and anything over 3.5t is penalised either by access restrictions or extra per-km tolls (e.g. Austria!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Casati wrote: »
    Do you think lads buying 80k cars are buying them for cash? I bet most of them are PCP with 3% interest or less funded by the manufacture- not an option with motorhomes

For motorhomes I would go the credit union route
    I'd say there's a fair amount of retirement lump sums are used some of the figures bandied about by my civil service pal's would make your eyes water 🀔

I would agree that the credit union would be the best option, home improvements it might held your case if you didn't mention that the said home was on wheels 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

covey123 wrote: »

CelticRambler : could I ask you to clarify something for me, please? What exactly are you saying about those countries? That they have cities where old motorhomes are banned, or that old motorhomes in those countries "are tolled at up to €0.27 per kilometre."

I own an 1994 Hymer with which we've travelled a bit in France, Spain and Portugal. I know that there are some cities with Low Emissions Zones that we can't visit with our van, which is fair enough. We sometimes use toll roads, but I'm not aware that the age of the vehicle or the type of engine had any effect on the tolls that we paid. Are you saying that all of those countries somehow toll our van differently to newer, cleaner vans? (That could possibly be true, I suppose, based on number plate recognition cameras, but this is the first I've heard of it, if so.) I'm genuinely interested, as we will hopefully take the van on the continent again once the restrictions are lifted. Thanks in advance. :)

• Advertisement

CelticRambler : could I ask you to clarify something for me, please? What exactly are you saying about those countries? That they have cities where old motorhomes are banned, or that old motorhomes in those countries "are tolled at up to €0.27 per kilometre."

It's a bit of all kinds of everything, and subject to change (e.g. France is on the point of re-introducing the contentious EcoTax polluter-pays-by-the-km system, but not in its previous form ... ) Some measures are engine-related (e.g. France's Crit'Air vignette), some are height and/or weight related.

For any particular trip, the most complete resource is probably this site: https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/

Advertisement