Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope suitable for rifle

Options
  • 26-02-2021 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Looking for opinions I have a hawke sidewinder 8.5--25x42 I'm looking at getting a 243 and I'm wondering would this scope be OK or even up to the job, or should I be looking for something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

Johnner2 wrote: »
    Looking for opinions I have a hawke sidewinder 8.5--25x42 I'm looking at getting a 243 and I'm wondering would this scope be OK or even up to the job, or should I be looking for something else.

Perfect for your new rifle IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

clivej wrote: »
    Perfect for your new rifle IMO
    Cheers Clive, I might just buy a new rifle for the moment and see how it goes, don't seem to be many packages around that won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What is your intended use / quarry?
    What type of land, topography, ranges are you going to shoot over?

If your intended use is for deer stalking and the particular land scape has open ground ie hill stalking then your minimum magnification will be ideal. I use both a fixed 6 power and a fixed 8 power for hill stalking. My average range would be 150 yards or less. Both scopes well capable of 250 +ish neck shooting.

If your stalking is woodland then by all means your lower end mag will also suffice but I can tell you from experience there are times the 8 power scope is too much power when dealing with animals close - 10 yards or less.

My previous stalking scope was 3-12x56 and I hardly ever took it off 7.5 power but when sitting in close cover waiting for that stag to come in I tended to wind it down.

My own preference now is less is more, although I won't be rushing out to change my fixed scopes, if I had a choice I would have something in the 1.5/2 to 10 / 12 power.

Thanks for the detailed reply, yes primarily for deer with an odd fox in the mix, mainly open ground with a small bit of woodland shooting. I don't really want to be going buying more scopes if I can manage to get a bit of use out of the sidewinder, I was thinking of looking for a complete second hand package but something niggling at me and telling me to just buy a new rifle and build it up from there. Scope is on a. 22 but I have a much cheaper scope that could go on that, and if it don't work out I can invest in a decent scope if one pops up. I was more concerned that the hawke might not behave around the slightly bigger recoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Absolutely understand where your coming from there. It's all grand for lads to recommend the high end stuff, buy once, cry once and all that, but it's not as easy as that. Sometimes you want to get into something quickly and the way to do that could mean sticking to a budget. I started off with an old 3-9x40 scope, moved up to a
    3-12x56 and eventually along the way picked up Schmidt and Benders and do you know what, I took deer with them all. The .243 is a good calibre, stick a moderator on it and you'll have a great duel purpose rifle.
    Best of luck with your choice.

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I have been in touch with a dealer, coming back to me with a slot time to go and view a few options, I want to get the ball rolling as soon as I can.

Advertisement