Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninsurable

Options
  • 19-02-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im 24, 2 years no claims bonus and every company is refusing to insure me on 4-5 different cars im looking at. Among them a Golf GTI and BMW 235i. The last insurer called me a boy racer and said i wouldn't get insured on anything above my 1.6 swift until i was 27.

I understand there are claims, and i probably am on the leading edge of this age group but its insane that insurance companies can dictate what car i'm allowed to buy. I like cars, i enjoy driving that doesn't mean i have any desire to slap on some ****ty springs and a fart can and drive from McDonalds to McDonalds revving out my car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Norensien wrote: »
    Im 24, 2 years no claims bonus and every company is refusing to insure me on 4-5 different cars im looking at. Among them a Golf GTI and BMW 235i. The last insurer called me a boy racer and said i wouldn't get insured on anything above my 1.6 swift until i was 27.

I understand there are claims, and i probably am on the leading edge of this age group but its insane that insurance companies can dictate what car i'm allowed to buy. I like cars, i enjoy driving that doesn't mean i have any desire to slap on some ****ty springs and a fart can and drive from McDonalds to McDonalds revving out my car.

Insurance companies love taking money from people - the more they take and the less they pay out on claims means the more money they make.

They have years and years of factual data to use to calculate the potential of making money from insuring you and the cars that you are asking about. Based on this historical data they obviously feel that the risk isn't worth the potential profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Did you try XS Direct, Quote Devil and ring Chill. I had an Aristo at 22 through Chill and a M3 at 27 through Liberty so it's definetly possible to be insured on a GTI at 24. Maybe a 2 year NCB is a problem though.

Brokers will get cover where dealing directly with insurer will be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Norensien wrote: »

Can I ask -
    what car/cars and their BHP have you earned the 2yrs ncb on?
    What spec is GTi, as BHP differ majorly as you well know. & you could potentially be doubling BHP!
    Have you reg #’s for the proposed cars as that determines the ins group, prior history of the cars, number of prior owners, prior flags on car, current nct-mot, prior crash damages on cars.
    Mightn’t solely be all you.
    PS...if your FB page is littered with you boy-racing,modifying cars or you prior insurance record is colourful then they ain’t gonna take risk of paying out for undisclosed declarations.

Sorry brunt but worked 20+Yrs in insurance circles.
    I too had, civic Lsi, Astra Irmshire kitted etc so liked my wheels then and now still 😜
    Hope you get sorted

Advertisement