Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Philadelphia Project"

Options
  • 24-07-2001 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Ok for you lerned people out there who happen to know about the top secert Philadelphia experiment i wish to start this trend for.

For those of you who don't know what this is The Philadelphia Project was a research program n the 1940's carried out along side the Manhatten project (A-bomb) by the Us goverment.It envolved teloportation of a ship and bringing it out a faze.The aim of the project was to make it go invisible.
    The experiment had disasterous results and was kept top secret to this day

For mor info go to http://www.wincom.net/softarts/philexp.html

"I can't speak for command, but I'm gonna clean the place out" - Jc Denton, Deus EX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are 3 things the the US Navy deny -

1. the Philadelphia Experiment, see http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq21-1.htm

2. The film "Hostile Waters" http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/hostlh2o.html

3. This radio conversation:
    Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
    CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
    US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.
    CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!
    US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!
    CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

*Note: USS Coral Sea (CV 43) was decommissioned and scrapped 2 July 1993. Other ships' names appearing have been USS Missouri (BB 63) which was decommissioned on 31 March 1992 and USS Nimitz (CVN 68) which is an active ship.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/litehuse.html

- they will take the rap for the rest.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 24-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

When bad Science attacks.

I believe the US Navy also deny the existance of Godzilla and Mothra but we all know they are hiding them.

On the other hand some of the new tech coming out of the Navy is pretty impressive.

They are working on a new torpedo which actually creates a bubble around itself allowing it to travel at supersonic speeds underwater. Also a "Sub Killer" auto cannon which works on the same princible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

Hey does any Know about this thing or do i have to tell you all. SOMEBODY must know something about the project

"I can't speak for command, but I'm gonna clean the place out" - Jc Denton, Deus EX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

I heard about the project(and it's catastrophic effects on some of the participants). When the (Cloaking)process was started, the ship is said to have been "envelloped" by a shroud of green mist, which started to become stronger and more dense. Eventually, then entire ship disappeared. Scout boats who were on the project moved in for a closer look. The ship had indeed "cloaked" and all the scout boats could see was the depression of the hull in the water, the ship was there, just invisible.

As for the effects on the crew of the ship, some were said to have spontaneously combusted, weeks or even years after the incident. There is even a story of one man who would shift in and out of phase for years at a time. He would totally disappear for years at a time, emmerging uncontrolably at random times. He described the place he went to (possiby another dimension) as "a horrible place which was constantly cold and dark and in which he had no actual body, and just existed as consciousness".

Scary, huh?

How Do You Prove You Exist? What If We Don't Exist? - Vivi Ornitier, Final Fantasy IX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It never happened. I think the whole urban myth started with the release of this movie:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087910

As the publicity stated it actually happened. But if you follow Conorisco's link you'll get the following message "Sorry! You have tried to reach an object that does not exist."

played!

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CriminallyInsane:
    Scout boats who were on the project moved in for a closer look. The ship had indeed "cloaked" and all the scout boats could see was the depression of the hull in the water, the ship was there, just invisible. </font>

But why didn't some water disappear? (if as you say, they were in contact) -> But why didn't all the water disappear? -> But why didn't the whole world disappear? tongue.gif

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well people this is a site that i am currently reading and is interesting about the whole incident. Look for yourselves: www.ecafe.org/philadelphia

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:

On the other hand some of the new tech coming out of the Navy is pretty impressive.

They are working on a new torpedo which actually creates a bubble around itself allowing it to travel at supersonic speeds underwater. Also a "Sub Killer" auto cannon which works on the same princible.

</font>
    Super-cavitation weapons. I believe the russians are also heavily researching this type of weapon. Rumours suggest it was the test firing of such a torpedo which caused the sinking of the Kursk. And the submarine may have had an observer from the Chinese Navy onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

interesting but inconclusive:

In July 1943, the destroyer U.S.S. Eldridge pulled into the Delaware Bay area for a United States Naval experiment that involved the task of making the ship invisible. The project's official name is Project Rainbow, but was nicknamed and more commonly known as the Philadelphia Experiment.

Much has been written and speculated about the legendary experiment into invisibilty, but sorting fact from fiction is a near impossible task, especially with the recent influx of misinformation and deliberate disinformation that has been spread by those connected to the U.S. Intelligence community and professional skeptics.

There is much controversy over what exactly happened, but one thing is for sure. For some reason, soon after the test was completed, a massive blanket of secrecy and denial was placed over what happened in Delaware Bay. It is thought that a huge scientific breakthrough was made, and the ship was accurately transported over space and time, disappearing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and reappearing in Norfolk, Virginia. Whatever did happen is still not known, but different theories are discussed below:

The "Official" Navy Record:

The Navy admits that the U.S.S. Eldridge took part in an experiment that involved wrapping wire around the hull of the destroyer in an attempt to cancel out the magnetic fields of the metal on the ship. This is known as degaussing. This would render the ship "invisible" to underwater magnetic mines that rely on proximity sensors to trigger the detonation. These sensors operate by detecting magnetic fields around ships. Without the magnetic field, the ship would be able to pass through regions mined with these sensors, invisible to enemy mines, but not to radar or vision.

The Navy's report is very plausible, and doesn't mention any exotic results or circumstances. But could this just be a believable account to drop the interest by the general public, leaving only the true minority of investigators in doubt?

Physical Invisibility:

Some scientists have developed the theory that the Navy was working on a way to make the ship invisible to vision. However, it didn't involve warping space time or any complex task of a similar nature. This theory suggests that the Eldridge was equipped with high frequency generators that would heat up the surrounding air to cause a mirage, making the vessel invisible.

This phenomenon is naturally occurring, and there have been cases where entire islands have disappeared from view in the right weather conditions. The high frequency generator would heat up the surrounding air and the water (creating a green-colored fog that was said to have engulfed the ship), causing a mirage to form, concealing the ship from view.

The generator would also account for the sickness (physical and mental) of the crew after the experiment. A high freqency generator can cause serious harm to a person's wellbeing, especially at close range. This is more plausible than the degaussing theory, and would also explain the crew's sick condition as a result of the test.

The main problem with these theories though, is that it doesn't explain how the U.S.S. Eldridge was seen in Norfolk, Virginia by the civilian crew of the SS Andrew Furuseth, when the ship disappeared from view in Philadelphia in a space of only about fifteen minutes. There are also details such as crewmen being fused to the hull of the ship and some not even reappearing.

Transported across space and time?

The most interesting theory about the Philadelphia Experiment is that the destroyer did in fact disappear and was teleported across space and time. Supposedly, there was a great number of ingenious scientists (including Tesla and Einstein) that were taking part in the experiment. However, Nikola Tesla was supposed to dead at the time of the Naval experiment.

The theory is that light has to be bent around the ship to make it invisible. To accomplish this, the Navy wrapped the ship's circumference in wire and passed a measured current through it. This caused a huge oscillating magnet to form a magnetic field around the ship, not only bending the light, but space and time as well. The physics of the experiment are reminiscent of Einstein's Unified Field Theory that once you bend light, you are also unwittingly bending space and time as well.

The first time this experiment was undertaken, the ship didn't completely disappear, and an imprint of the hull could be seen sitting in the water. The second time, the ship totally disappeared in a green fog and was sighted in Norfolk, Virginia.

A haunting fact is that when the ship reappeared, the crew were all in a state of disorientation. Some were mentally ill, while other crewmen didn't even return. There were also crewmen that returned embedded in the hull. eek.gif Later accounts arose about the crewmen, including a former crew member who was involved in a bar fight, and all the participants froze in time, as reported by a local newspaper! There were also accounts of people who were on the ship, spontaneously combusting.

The mystery remains

It is still not known what happened that day in 1943, mainly due to the lack of witnesses coming forth who served aboard the Eldridge. There is also no documentation available to the public which details Project Rainbow. It may have simply been a degaussing experiment. But how did the destroyer appear seconds later in Virginia? Its possible the answer will never be known, but the mystery may be solved when scientists rediscover what happened in Delaware Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Just a gentle reminder- this is the science board, not the X-files or "Paranormal/Paranoia" board. Dannyd20- Nicola Tesla was at no time officially involved with the alleged Philadelphia Project. And I doubt Einstein was involved. Anyone with even a basic understanding of physics knows that the energy cost of moving an object across space and time is unbelievably high. Infinite in fact, if we consider the acceleration to the speed of light required for time dilation effects.

Spook and UFO enthusiasts have thrived on garbage such as this- fortunately, no scientists have jumped on the hysteria bandwagon.

Just to remind everyone again- this board isn't to discuss whether Area51/Philadelphia/Rockwell happened. There is however, significant promise if we were to discuss the scientific possibilities of some of these happenings. Fortunately, that would be a short discussion indeed given the present state of technology.

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

BobtUO, yeah that article did have a few far-fetched 'facts' flung in there. I don't claim to know whether or not tesla or einstein worked on this, I only reproduced the article as I thought it might be of some interest to the thread readers. Like anything today, don't believe everything (or anything!!) you read!
    As you said, this board is to discuss the scientific possibilities of this stuff.
    And imho teleporting, time travel, spontaneous combustion, etc. belongs in a 'paranormal/sci-fi' board for the moment!

Bob is in on it too!!

Actualy Tesla, Einstien and Turing were all at the experiment as they actually brought them forward through time (Including Einstien who was later sent back with an update on his unified field theroy).

(removed bobs edit)

[This message has been edited by Bob the Unlucky Octopus (edited 01-08-2001).]

Bob.
    If you have a problem with what I post say so, feel free to remove it as long as you say why your removing it, but kindly don't doctor my posts.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 01-08-2001).]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Thats a good idea too, a sci-fi board.
    And tesla and einstein were there alright, they were to help create a theory that could put degaussing and invisibility into practice. And the generators, [sonic generators] would kill people from the frequency they have to operate.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Given what we are asked to "believe", I think we're probably better off not doing so.

It is highly unlikely that, in 1943, the US Navy were capable of hiding a ship in such a manner.

Today may be another story however, because now we have alien spaceships and aliens and other stuff from Roswell like and you know they all store them in Area 51 which is *dead secret* like only a couple of hundred million people know about it like you know.

Seriously though, just because objects that have mass distort light (or rather light travels in a straight line through distorted space-time -- help get a physicist!) does not mean that we are capable of distorting light so much. To defract light by so much of a degree, the mass of the ship would need to be increased to such an immense value that the Earth's orbit would probably have changed significantly.

It's great when people ignore fact because they like to believe in things. On the topic of aliens - personally, I'm quite happy to accept it as a valid hypothesis that aliens of some description may be capable of this; hell, I don't know what they're up to, or if they exist at all... but I *know* that our understanding of the universe is so limited that we could not possibly have done this. We're dumb.

Here was the picture in question. smile.gif

How does creating a magnetic field around a boat make it distort time and space? Why doesn't the bits inside my computer distort time and space?

Apologies Hobbes- didn't even realize I'd edited it- not even sure what the pic was tbh...must have been drunk at the time.

Please accept my apologies, and +3 imaginary karma points- won't happen again. The pic must have been a bit spammy or I'm sure I wouldn't have touched it.

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

They do, just by *very little*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

yeah i heard about the Philadelhia project. I read a few books(no not X-file type ****e) about it... The most interesting thing in regard to it was what happened to the crewmen after(even years later)... The way they themselfs would continue to drift in and out of Quantum Phase with the current time. They would freeze to everyone else and would have to be touched to come back from it... Sort of like the childs game "Freeze".
    Anyway i never finished the book cause i got side tracked on how Einsteins Publically unfinished General Theory was associated with the project... Its frightening to think of what is possible if Einstein actually helped teh project with his current knowledge of his unfinished(as far as the public is concerned) General Theory... I mean Relativity was (E=mc.c) but General theory deals with ElectroMagnetism and how to minipulate them and how gravity relates to them.... Ah my head hurts now...
    I'll get back here later and read some more posts smile.gif

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

What amazes me about all this is the fact that people actually think this is true. rolleyes.gif

Did anyone here actually study Physics in school?

Unified Field theory
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Einstein and others attempted to construct a unified field theory in which electromagnetism and gravity would emerge as different aspects of a single fundamental field. They failed, and to this day gravity remains beyond attempts at a unified field theory. </font>

I did. Hopefully you would have seen the sarcasm in my post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

Ok things may seam a bit strange in this post especially people who have studied Physics this is because it deals solely with particle and sub atomic physics.If you ever read any thing about Quantum mechanics you will see that this experiment is plausible ,at least in theory.

It is also "theoretically" possible that every single atom in a person's body could leap a meter into the air in perfect synchrony. In fact, most anything is possible "in theory". Let's please refrain from using phrases like "in theory"- true scientific theories begin as hypotheses- and after thousands and thousands of tests, is accepted as a theory. Example- the Theory of Evolution.

If anyone has a good link to post regarding reliable information about what could have happened from a scientific point of view, please post it. Otherwise we'll rapidly slide towards a conspiracy theorists' bed-time story argument.

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bonkey:
    The stories of weird things happening to survivors, phase-shifting, blah blah blah are about as scientificallyl credible as "eye-witness" accounts of the existence of Nessie.</font>

Well the stories could be put out by the navy. The Military are always doing things like that. Like telling people carrots make it easier for pilots to see in the dark when it was Radar. Or saying there was UFO's at Area 51 when it was just a weather ballon. smile.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dannyd20:
    ...and professional skeptics.</font>

Do you need a college degree to get into this industry... or some kind of secret handshake...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaos-Engine:
    yeah i heard about the Philadelhia project. I read a few books(no not X-file type ****e) about it... </font>

Given that there is no more proof of the Philly experiment than (say) Roswell or anything like that, coupled with the general complete lack of credibility it appears to have with the scientific community in general, I fail to see how any book on the subject could not be "X-Files sh*te", as you so succinctly put it.

Its relatively easy to publish a book which appears scientific in nature. Its another thing for the book to *be* scientific in nature.

The Philly experiment, from what I recall reading at some point, was either an attempt to mask a ship from magnetic detection, and/or from radar through the use of electro-magnetic fields, either generated from coils wrapped round the hull or from twin pylons (one at each end of the boat).

The stories of weird things happening to survivors, phase-shifting, blah blah blah are about as scientificallyl credible as "eye-witness" accounts of the existence of Nessie.

jc

In the absence of intelligent and supportable discussion, I have no choice but to send this thread to the Trolls(unless someone wants to propose a cult phenomena board?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement