Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Marketplace

Options
  • 22-06-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Just a question on this. I know it's not open in Ireland yet.

But if I was to put either a US or UK sim in my phone, am I right in saying that I could register an account on the android marketplace over wi-fi.

My understanding is that the phone just needs a US/UK sim and then you can fire ahead and register.

Can anyone confirm/correct me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It is open in Ireland!! Just log in with your google details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It is open in Ireland!! Just log in with your google details

Think he means for paid apps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Any idea when its gonna open in Ireland ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Just a question on this. I know it's not open in Ireland yet.

But if I was to put either a US or UK sim in my phone, am I right in saying that I could register an account on the android marketplace over wi-fi.

My understanding is that the phone just needs a US/UK sim and then you can fire ahead and register.

Can anyone confirm/correct me?
    I put in a UK sim and signed in and was able to get apps not currently available in Ireland such as Sky News app

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

such as Sky News app

REALLY REALLY REALLY want that app. Its crazy that its not available here.

Can you get it if you root your phone? (HTC Desire)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

"Market Enabler is an Android app for ‘rooted’ devices that could be used to fake a phone’s location and access Android Market from other countries."

http://www.sizzledcore.com/tag/market-enabler/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Thinking about getting a HTC hero on sat, just a noob question.... if i dont root the hadnset can i still download and insatll apps say (download via comp, saved to memory card and install from that to handset)

Is it a case that if you dont root the handset you can only download / install apps from the market place through the handset itself.

Ideally I would like to be able save .apk files to the mem card from my comp and install then. I wouldnt be too pushed about rooting for things like roms or paid apps from the marketplace

I'm a bit of a noob too but I think this is how it works.

I believe some apps can only work with root access due to restrictions or lack of access for unrooted phones but I wouldn't say the number is high.

The thing with the market is that you currently cannot pay for apps in Ireland but you can still download the free ones. Its probably something to do with the same reason google checkout not being available in Ireland... Again I'm not 100% on this but as far as I'm aware this is the case.

Yelnahs wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a noob too but I think this is how it works.

I believe some apps can only work with root access due to restrictions or lack of access for unrooted phones but I wouldn't say the number is high.

The thing with the market is that you currently cannot pay for apps in Ireland but you can still download the free ones. Its probably something to do with the same reason google checkout not being available in Ireland... Again I'm not 100% on this but as far as I'm aware this is the case.

Yeah thats pretty much as I took it up myself. I'd just like the option to be able download apps from the net using my pc and a website eg mobile9 , transfer from there to the handset and install that way. (non root access required apps) Not sure if thats possible or if the only way to download and install apps is from the market place only on the handset. (free apps only) :confused::confused:

I believe thats the only way.

I've made the decision to root my desire (sounds a bit seedy) so I won't have that issue.

I've no idea when they plan to allow paid apps in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hogzy wrote: »
    REALLY REALLY REALLY want that app. Its crazy that its not available here.

Can you get it if you root your phone? (HTC Desire)
    You can but if you don't fancy rooting your phone drop me a pm as I have a spare UK sim that you can have :)

I have an Australian Vodafone sim, do you think that would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Market Enabler is an Android app for ‘rooted’ devices that could be used to fake a phone’s location and access Android Market from other countries."

FYI, the market enabler project has been taken over by a new guy, who has rewritten large chunks of the program. Works alot better too. It's now called Market Access. More info (and APK download) here:

http://amip.tools-for.net/wiki/android/marketaccess

I believe thats the only way.

I've made the decision to root my desire (sounds a bit seedy) so I won't have that issue.

I've no idea when they plan to allow paid apps in Ireland...

Well if thats the case I think I'll be doing a root myself too!
    Just dont like the idea of poking about the OS of a new device when its litterally hours old and box fresh. The hassle of it too is putting me off, download astro, start formatting cards etc urgh, installing image files from the card urgh.

I'm sure its not that bad but entering untested waters here from my own experience and not looking forward to it one bit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

hightower1 wrote: »
    I'd just like the option to be able download apps from the net using my pc and a website eg mobile9 , transfer from there to the handset and install that way. (non root access required apps) Not sure if thats possible

There is nothing to stop you doing that.

draffodx wrote: »

Ahhh thats great then, I take it then the only real restriction on installing apps would be on ones that need root access of thats the case? And paid ones from the marketplace of coarse.

(I more than likely will root the handset eventually but not straight away)

There is a good thread about it here that should put your mind at ease.

Also you can easily unroot so it is reversible.

Also I love doing all that flashing stuff, reminds me of when I rooted my psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

draffodx wrote: »

Really? You buy the APK files from your desktop?

JustinOval wrote: »
    Really? You buy the APK files from your desktop?

Well from what I can see there are a lot of websites that have .apk files to download for free. From there I imagine you just transfer them to handset form pc then open / install them from the media card in the handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Well from what I can see there are a lot of websites that have .apk files to download for free. From there I imagine you just transfer them to handset form pc then open / install them from the media card in the handset.

You can even just download them to the sd card from the net and install from there, no need for pc on ones I did before.
    As long as its an apk file and not a torrent or whatever it should work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

By the way, I use EStrongs File Explorer to install the .apk files. Just search estrongs on the market.

Keith186 wrote: »
    You can even just download them to the sd card from the net and install from there, no need for pc on ones I did before.
    As long as its an apk file and not a torrent or whatever it should work fine.

Oh yeah, I would only be using the pc to view and download the files simply for convenience of having the larger screen and navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I came across appbrain.com last night, have to have another look but it looks like you can manage all your apps from there and you'll be able to see paid apps too even if not rooted. Not sure if you lose the paid apps once you sign in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Yeah, sorry. I thought he meant from the Market. Some apps are only available on the paid market.

Advertisement