Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I have mental problems?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Growing up I had rituals I had to carry out everytime I saw buttons.

I had to have all the doors and cupboards closed in my house. All the caps on toothpaste, deodrants, ketchup, marmalade in ANYONE's house had to be screwed on. Theres alot more complicated stuff like this.

I couldn't think certain things and if I did I had to think about it word for word a second time. My little green monster friend who lived in a control centre in my head used to help me with this.

If I did something wrong I had to do it twice because twice = 0 in my world. Examples, stepping on cracks on paths, watching certain TV shows before a certain event (for example if I saw even a snippet of the Simpsons while flicking through TV channels around exam times I'd rush up to the internet and watch a snippet online),

If I saw saliva leave someone's mouth (eg a stand of saliva stuck to food), I'd go to a toilet and puke. I couldn't eat any food as soon as someone licked their fingers.

The worst was the obsession I had with knowing everything. I'd have to know who was exactly in what class at what time in school. I had to know all 50 states, every country capital, every person evicted from big brother in eviction order, every player in the Premier League (which is why I avoid football to this day). This weirdness helped me though as I am a great networker of people, I remember every detail about every person I've met and who they know, their strengths, their jobs, everything.

Random times during the night I'd suddenly have to recite something or else something bad would happen eg once when I was 15 I had to recite every UK number 1 hit from 2000 to that day. The little green man in my head would control this. I often used to have violent day dreams about killing the green man.

I got over 90% of my obsessions (the ones I mentioned are NOTHING compared to some which I can't bring myself to say) last summer because one day I broke an obsession I had and nothing happened. Literally. Then I just stopped.

The biggest obsession was not telling people I had them but people did notice weird things I used to do (like slapping myself whenever I walked under a signpost or knowing people's ohone numbers off by heart or the names of every person in a large workplace of 300 people). The obsession with people gave me good social skills as I found ways of becoming acquanted with everyone, this saved me from being a depressive OCD.

I only found out (from Oprah and this forum) that I had OCD. I got over it pretty suddenly. I just said one day that it wasn't real.

I recently found out that my friend's brother had scizophrenia, was I heading down that route? Or did I just have very bad OCD?

Anyway it feels good to finally talk about the things that dominated my thoughts for my whole life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Might be a form of OCD OP .

I dont like ....I hate watching somebody speak while eating .Thinking of one indivudal in question who never chews his food as we are ment to do .....quietly and sometimes ( unintentionaly ) spits :( .

It hasn't affected or taken over my life ( just yet) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Compulsive obsessive disorder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 20somethings

The worst part is I kept it a secret, any of the really obvious obsessions were a joke in my family! Or with friends.

One obsession I had was touching fire hoses in my school. If I ever go back to my school I'll probably do it. With OCD you just HAVE to do the things, you HAVE to theres no alternative.

The worst for me was the circle game; a game where someone makes a circle shape with their hand and if another person looks at it then the circle person gets to punch them (it came from Malcolm in the Middle). Anyway this game was a nightmare for me because A) I always HAD to look at the circle and B) If someone couldnt punch me eg. a teacher saying "stop playing the circle game", then I wouldn't sleep that night because I know I was owed a punch and didn't get it whcih meant I had to compensate for it by reciting every major town in the UK.

Would I have been put on pills if my family knew the extent of what I was putting myslef through? Or my brain was putting myself through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

ocdireland.org has links to various ocd discussion forums which you might find more useful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

20somethings, it realy does sound like it would be useful for you to go and speak with someone about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

I think many people are somehow "dominated" by rituals that are nonsense to others.
    Of course, when this habits dominate your life, it is not healthy.
    I think one big step is admitting it, because by admitting it to others you admit it mainly to yourself.
    I did not understand from your post if you talked about it with a psychologist/counsellor.
    You should, even though you think you have solved most of your obsessions, you should try to understant what's at their origin. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I only found out (from Oprah and this forum) that I had OCD.

I recently found out that my friend's brother had scizophrenia, was I heading down that route? Or did I just have very bad OCD?
    QUOTE]

deciding you have an illness based on what you read on the internet and see on TV is very dangerous and irresponsible.

self-diagnosing is a very slippery slope.

by the looks of it, with your last comment above, you're still on that slope.

you should discuss your concerns with a medical professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

jpfahy wrote: »
    Compulsive obsessive disorder

I second this diagnosis.I used to be a bit like that,but no where near as intense as the OP,I managed to get out of it.I recommend a psychotherapist or whatever since it's interfering with your life.Thankfully O.C.B. is very treatable and it's not uncommon-especially in Ireland it seems....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

You should be discussing this with your gp and only take his advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

hey there,

I'm a 20 year old female with OCD, Bipolar spectrum disorder, psychosis and Complex Post Traumatic Disorder.

What you just described is typical of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

It doesn't sound like schizophrenia, but you said you withheld information. I have psychotic depression related illness and was under watch for schizophrenia for a couple of years, you've said you have withheld the worst of it, and I can understand. Some of the stuff I did/felt/thought when I had a psychotic episode isnt something I'd necessarily wantto broadcast.

Feel free to send me a pm if you would like to talk about it.

Aside from that....you said your OCD cleared up. Are you having any symptoms at all now? Any of the ones you havent told us about?

If you are largely symptom free, I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. If you are not OR symptoms return I'd take a quick visit to the GP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Growing up I had rituals I had to carry out everytime I saw buttons.

I had to have all the doors and cupboards closed in my house. All the caps on toothpaste, deodrants, ketchup, marmalade in ANYONE's house had to be screwed on. Theres alot more complicated stuff like this.

I couldn't think certain things and if I did I had to think about it word for word a second time. My little green monster friend who lived in a control centre in my head used to help me with this.

If I did something wrong I had to do it twice because twice = 0 in my world. Examples, stepping on cracks on paths, watching certain TV shows before a certain event (for example if I saw even a snippet of the Simpsons while flicking through TV channels around exam times I'd rush up to the internet and watch a snippet online),

If I saw saliva leave someone's mouth (eg a stand of saliva stuck to food), I'd go to a toilet and puke. I couldn't eat any food as soon as someone licked their fingers.

The worst was the obsession I had with knowing everything. I'd have to know who was exactly in what class at what time in school. I had to know all 50 states, every country capital, every person evicted from big brother in eviction order, every player in the Premier League (which is why I avoid football to this day). This weirdness helped me though as I am a great networker of people, I remember every detail about every person I've met and who they know, their strengths, their jobs, everything.

Random times during the night I'd suddenly have to recite something or else something bad would happen eg once when I was 15 I had to recite every UK number 1 hit from 2000 to that day. The little green man in my head would control this. I often used to have violent day dreams about killing the green man.

I got over 90% of my obsessions (the ones I mentioned are NOTHING compared to some which I can't bring myself to say) last summer because one day I broke an obsession I had and nothing happened. Literally. Then I just stopped.

The biggest obsession was not telling people I had them but people did notice weird things I used to do (like slapping myself whenever I walked under a signpost or knowing people's ohone numbers off by heart or the names of every person in a large workplace of 300 people). The obsession with people gave me good social skills as I found ways of becoming acquanted with everyone, this saved me from being a depressive OCD.

I only found out (from Oprah and this forum) that I had OCD. I got over it pretty suddenly. I just said one day that it wasn't real.

Anyway it feels good to finally talk about the things that dominated my thoughts for my whole life.

im no doctor but i wouldnt be afraid to take a lift from you

people who have real mental health problems would never ask themselves , have i mental health problems so id rest easy if i was you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

irish_bob wrote: »
    im no doctor but i wouldnt be afraid to take a lift from you

people who have real mental health problems would never ask themselves , have i mental health problems so id rest easy if i was you

actually....it depends on the illness. People with OCD would probably know something was up....they know what they are doing is irrational.

as for schizophrenia....in the early stages people can sometimes tell something is up. It's when you get to a certain point that it becomes tough.

You clearly have OCD...if instict tells you something, go with it, cause you're most likely right. And if you are having some problems and you know scizophrenia runs in your family, it doesnt hurt to keep an eye on it.

Advertisement