Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly questions, I'm sure....

Options
  • 06-11-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭

Two silly questions, I'm sure, but you never know until you ask...

1. Is yoga anything like pilates?

2. Can men do yoga? and I don't mean physically do a yoga class but sucessfully harness ones own energies and harmonise with your own life force?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

Hi,

I can't answer your first question as I don't do pilates, but I would say for your second that yes, of course men can do yoga. In terms of the spiritual side of things there's no gender restrictions that I'm aware of. Before the commercial popularity of yoga in the west, I understand it was largely dominated by men anyway, and many famous gurus were men. I think it's only since the 1970s that it's come to be associated with middle-class ladies.

What do other people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Two silly questions, I'm sure, but you never know until you ask...

1. Is yoga anything like pilates?

2. Can men do yoga? and I don't mean physically do a yoga class but sucessfully harness ones own energies and harmonise with your own life force?
    No such thing as a silly question, as one of my lecturers always says. Anything you don't know is a good question!

Anyways.

1. I've done both yoga and pilates, and there are similarities. Both place great importance on the breath, and movement in alignment with breathing. Core strength is quite important to both, and consequently, both can have a great impact upon your posture. I would say Pilates is slightly more like an exercise class, but then again, some styles of yoga can be quite physically exerting, too. So really, since yoga styles can vary so vastly, how similar Pilates is to yoga depends really on what style of yoga you have in mind.

2. Yep, men can definitely do yoga. I know of some bigger studios in Dublin which run "Yoga for Men" classes, but all yoga classes would generally be suitable for both sexes ( excepting pre-natal yoga classes, maybe :p).

Happy bending!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thank you both for the replies. As I get older I feel parts of myself freeze up at times..:p..so I've decided to do something about it. Also the meditation aspect of yoga really appeals so I just needed to straighten out some issues in my own head. I'm aiming for the new year, new year new beginnings and all that...:D

No doubt, I'll be back again...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Edit: misunderstood post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I hadn't actually seen that thread until flikflak posted it above....:o There is some very good information in it. Thanks very much for the imput and thanks Hermione for looking out for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aidybop

Yoga and pilates are all too frequently compared where in reality they are very different. It really confuses me why people continue to even talk about them in the same breath...However having practiced yoga for many years I can see the benefit of both. If all you are seeking is a toned body then stick with the pilates. If however you are seeking a transformational tool that if practised well and daily, under trustworthy and experienced instructors, and will have a profound influence on how you live your life (for the better I might add!) then go with the yoga. Just seek out the teachers who have experience and a genuine connection with the yoga tradition as there are quite a few around selling yoga classes with no real respect for the richness and breadth of the practice. And by the way I am a man...and you will quickly discover that any notion of yoga being female orientated is bull**** pure and simple. Good luck with whichever one you choose!

Advertisement