Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with HTC DESIRE

Options
  • 06-07-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

I've decided to get a HTC Desire on Meteor Bill Pay tomorrow.

There is a 1gb internet allowance in the tariff pacakge.

Can anyone tell me if that is a sufficient allowance for light browsing (Gmail, Facebook, etc)?

And more importantly, is there a way of switiching off the 3G connection so that it is not constantly downloading data from the internet?

I plan on just using wi-fi connections to access the internet - which I presume does not interfere with my data allowance, or does it?

I'd really appreciate help with those Qs. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Excellent choice.

Can anyone tell me if that is a sufficient allowance for light browsing (Gmail, Facebook, etc)?
    Absolutely. I mostly use wi-fi, but when I'm out of range I look up a lot of things...and I've done no damage to my 1 gig at all.

And more importantly, is there a way of switiching off the 3G connection so that it is not constantly downloading data from the internet?
    This is really simply done on the Desire - and essential when you are abroad, to ensure you don't get slaughtered with data roaming charges. I consider the new 50 euro limit slaughter, not to mind what guys have got caught for in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Plenty if using WiFi. You can turn off auto syncing and mobile data if u want.

#15 wrote: »

Yep. I only use it for light browsing and have never gone over 100mb a month, so you should be fine.

Yep, just the press of a button away! :)
    I plan on just using wi-fi connections to access the internet - which I presume does not interfere with my data allowance, or does it?

Nope it doesn't. Use your wifi as much as you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Thanks for the help, I'm getting the phone tomorrow and going on holidays next week - needed to be sure that I wouldn't be 'slaughtered' with data charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Thanks for the help, I'm getting the phone tomorrow and going on holidays next week - needed to be sure that I wouldn't be 'slaughtered' with data charges.

Your aware that your 1 gig is useless abroad?
    Its only for use within the republic.
    You will be charged an extortionate rate for any data you use abroad.

• Advertisement

Tiesto wrote: »
    Your aware that your 1 gig is useless abroad?
    Its only for use within the republic.
    You will be charged an extortionate rate for any data you use abroad.

If I connect through wi-fi abroad, I'll be ok though, right?

Also, is there a GPS facility on the DESIRE, and if so, do I need to be connected to a 3G network to use it? Will I be charged while I use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

Also, is there a GPS facility on the DESIRE, and if so, do I need to be connected to a 3G network to use it? Will I be charged while I use it?
    AFAIK the excellent Google Maps Navigation uses data, yes.

However I'm sure there are plenty of GPS only navigation apps in the marketplace.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

One more thing - I don't think Meteor have 3G coverage in my area.

How will this affect my use of the DESIRE?

Will the phone automatically switch back to 2G?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Yes, and if you want you can switch it to GSM only (2G) so that it won't waste battery trying to get 3G signal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

There is a GPS on the Desire. Used it yesterday trying to find some town in the backend of Meath. Basically. If you want to be able to use it for navigation you'll have to switch on the 3G to enable you to download routes and maps. But simply using the GPS doesn't use data. I think you can preload the destinations and maps on wifi, set the destination in the google navigation and then switch iff the 3G. I THINK that works. You should test it before you go though.

As far as the 1Gb goes, I am mostly on wifi but do get to use the 3G quite a bit. Two weeks into my bill I have used less than 5% (<100Mb) of my 2Gb download limit. Plenty for what you'll be looking for. Browsing, facebook etc.

• Advertisement

There is a GPS on the Desire. Used it yesterday trying to find some town in the backend of Meath. Basically. If you want to be able to use it for navigation you'll have to switch on the 3G to enable you to download routes and maps. But simply using the GPS doesn't use data. I think you can preload the destinations and maps on wifi, set the destination in the google navigation and then switch iff the 3G. I THINK that works. You should test it before you go though.

As far as the 1Gb goes, I am mostly on wifi but do get to use the 3G quite a bit. Two weeks into my bill I have used less than 5% (<100Mb) of my 2Gb download limit. Plenty for what you'll be looking for. Browsing, facebook etc.

Excellent, thanks for the help Brian.

How do you find the battery life?
    I have to say that is a major concern for me and is the only thing that's making me think twice about this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Gotta say, the battery life isn't the best I've had from a phone. But you do get used to it. I get a full day out of it and then some. Charge it every night though. I usually have the WiFi on most of the time. If i didn't charge it, it would run out by nighttime the next day. I'm currently changing some setting to see what I can get out of my battery. I think having the screen brightness on it's highest, wifi pretty much always being turned on and having a 3G connection active when the wifi is turned off is kinda killing the battery for me.
    Brilliant phone otherwise and from the looks of it, it's bound to get better what with Android 2.2 coming out soon enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

kesey wrote: »
    I consider the new 50 euro limit slaughter

That €50 figure is actually ex-VAT, so i assume u add another 21%, and thats the cut-off point??? Also its only within the EU, this limit doesn't apply outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Just wondering...has anyone actually found a decent GPS only app in the store for the Desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

1GB is plenty for that
    Add the following widgets to your main screen:

1. Widgets-->Settings-->WiFi: Turns Wifi on and off with one push

2. Widgets-->Settings-->Mobile Network: Turns on and off mobile data

3. Widgets-->Power Control: has on/off switch for wifi, bluetooth, GPS, application syncing (e.g. emails weather updates etc that you may not want to be getting all the time) and screen brightness all in one panel. I leave this on one of the other screens

4. Downlaod "2G-3G OnOff" from the market which will take you to the mobile networks settings page with one push. Here you can select WCDMA for 3G or GSM for 2G. GSM can still use data over EDGE so be carefull. GSM generally gives better battery life.

4. Install "3G watchdog" from the market and set it up with your monthly limit and the date that the monthly limit ends. You can stick the widget for this on your main screen and see at a glance how much you have used. You can also set it to warn you if you approach your limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Fairly basic question, but: if I'm on 2G, when the phone is checking my email or whatever it is doing that uses data when it's just sitting in my pocket, if a phone call comes through at the same time, does that go straight through to voicemail, or can the phone stop using data to take the call?

Advertisement