Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Data-Analytics

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bleuhh wrote: »
    Hey there! Thanks a million, I was delighted to secure the place. Are Maynooth going online now? I was going to apply there too as I did my undergrad there but it's a little bit far out for me and I am not driving!
    Best of luck with yours too!

Thanks

It's going to be blended afaik.

The first three weeks, starting on Monday are solid coding on campus. So we'll see how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SonicTheGerHog

Hey Guys,

I did the course in 2018. You won't be dissapointed. I came from a digital marketing background and wanted to get a better understanding of data analytics.

It's tough going if you haven't got a background in data analysis, but very achievable for anyone who is willing to put the work in!

Lecturers are fantastic. I did my night masters in NCI before this course. Can't beat the support and set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Don't forget guys, if you have your login details you can now avail of Spotify Student (half price) once you have your college email set up. Every little helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Habata wrote: »
    I'm doing the post grad version of this course and I think it's a joke and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The standard is low, the teaching resources limited, there's useless and superfluous modules. I take it that Springboard is just an easy way to get government cash and tick a few boxes. I feel like I've learned little. Highly unimpressed with the NCI in general.

Interesting - I was looking at doing a part time course aNd from the attitude and non-answere I was getting to fairly basic questions I’d tend to agree with you. Different ‘institution’ thou - their attitude was basically you’re getting it for free why give a s*** - they certainly didn’t care and evwn basics like the name of the course and awarding body on the cert/paperwork, who was doing the lectures, how many nights a week etc way wY beyond their ability to provide details. The HEA really needs to scrutinise the quality and clue for money they are delivering. The taxpayer are paying for it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cimf

Hi all,

Was looking at doing this course in September vua SB. It's between this one and the Masters in CCT in Data Analytics (if anyone had any knowledge of this college too that would be helpful). I will say I have good exposure to data anlysis and would like something that is more than just teaching the basics as I already have that. I am looking for the certification more than anything to help the CV a bit as I have no qualifications at the moment that say I can do data anlaytics. How did people find the course? How has employment gone for people since they have graduated?

Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 slugger_otoole

I did the Higher Diploma in NCI in 2018 and got a job as a Data Analyst afterwards, i've been working in the area for 2 years now.

Unlike you, I had almost zero knowledge going into it, so if you already have some programming skills (Python or R) that will help a lot, there is also an entire module on SQL and two modules on Stats.

I would say it's worthwhile, although I subsequently went on to do a MSc afterwards. You get out of it what you put into it, a had a plenty of friends in the class that either dropped out or scraped a pass mark and came out with little-to-no DA knowledge, but also plenty who went on to DA roles and grad programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭magnus500

NCI seem to have a few positive comments here which is great as I’m trying to decide between their 2 year diploma course or the equivalent at Galway Mayo IT. I’m based in Wicklow but I think everything will be online this year so distance shouldn’t make difference, I’m more interested in comparative standards of courses and job prospects on graduation if anyone had any insights. And thanks Slugger, your comment re getting out what I put in will probably be the biggest factor in that regard anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭plee

Anyone doing the HDIp this year - September 2023 - ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NellyH

Hello

I got accepted to GMIT higher diploma in science in computing in data Analytics. I was wondering if anyone has done this course and could give feedback ? There is very little detailed information like hours per week etc detailed course content. I am currently an accountant and want to be able to use DA confidently in my role. Appreciate it.

Advertisement