Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kept on after Xmas?

Options
  • 19-11-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hoping somebody out there can answer my question once and for all :confused:

Last weekend, I started working at my local Dunnes, and absolutely love it. It is a temporary contract which is up on Xmas eve..... but I was just wondering what the likelihood of being made permanent is? A friend of mine started last year in a different branch mid-December, again temporary and was made permanent a day or two before her contract was meant to be up.

From talking to several of my colleagues (who have already been working there for a number of years), there seems to be different opinions amongst them. Some say I will be let go and called back weeks later, some say I will be kept on full stop, and some say I won't be. Although they have all advised me to do well, clock in early and be punctual, don't call in sick etc. So far I have followed all these tips and haven't had any issues.

I recently quit a permanent part-time role as a waiter in a hotel, as shifts were horrible & depressing, and management treated the staff like dirt. With Dunnes, its the total opposite, a good, positive relationship between floor staff and managers, handy shifts etc.

I absolutely love working in Dunnes and would be devastated if I were let go for good on Xmas eve :(

Anyone here who works/has worked for Dunnes, or similar, hoping you guys could answer my question? :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Many Dunnes branches are cutting staff so find out from people working there if yours is one of them.
    Apart from that work hard and lick up to the right managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

AFAIK my branch aren't cutting staff.

I am working to my best, getting there 30 mins early, getting things done quickly etc, so fingers crossed :cool:

mark2912 wrote: »
    AFAIK my branch aren't cutting staff.

I am working to my best, getting there 30 mins early, getting things done quickly etc, so fingers crossed :cool:

Not a manager but staff there myself for way too long now! Usually (in my store at least) some of the floor managers will just ask staff who have been working with you if you are any good. If the awnser is yes you will probably be kept on. If a lot of people work out well and they don't keep everyone on they will call you back and see if you are still interested if someone else leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Do you still think you're entitled to lie ons at the weekend OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

mark2912 wrote: »

Surely they'd have to keep some male staff? (Not trying to be sexist, but that's how it usually goes unfortunately :rolleyes: :D)

What on earth do you mean? I’d keep that opinion to yourself- if I heard member of shop staff saying that they would be crossed straight off my list of potential permanent staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

[PHP][/PHP]
    What on earth do you mean? I’d keep that opinion to yourself- if I heard member of shop staff saying that they would be crossed straight off my list of potential permanent staff.

Like I implied, I didn't want to cause any offence, sorry. I don't agree with the whole thing myself tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No one can answer the question for you.

In my experience from working far too many retail jobs, Christmas staff were kept on or else first called if someone left.

Keep your nose clean and get on with the job.

If there's a Christmas party / drinks do not over do it.

Express an interest to stay to your reporting supervisor closer to the end your contract unless it comes up organically before that.

Enjoy it, I miss the buzz of retail at Christmas, don't miss the public though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

1) Do a good job (especially time keeping and reliability).

2) Develop a relationship with your manager, especially the senior managers.

Don't neglect (2) as this will play a big role in you being kept on over someone else.

Advertisement