Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads....Thurs Night!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I think this thread is the perfect opportunity to unveil Fiachra's Law. Based on Godwin's Law except based on Irishness and Begrudgery:

"As an online discussion on all things Irish grows longer, the probability of the mention of Typical Irish Begrudgery approaches 1."

In other words, given enough time, all discussions on things Irish —regardless of topic or scope—inevitably end up being about Typical Irish Begrudgery.

bono-begrudgery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

acman wrote: »
    Chart success? "Pretty Much" playing music? Please, elaborate...
    I make my living gigging and working in my recording studio...
    acman wrote:
    I don't think you are quite getting the fact that even to be associated with that show is an embarrassment. What is more, why on earth would you want to attract the attention of people who watch that show is beyond me: they are either a) people in shock and disgust, vowing to never see it again b) mindless idiots, much like the characters on it.
    Thats all in your opinion. Rest assured lots of people that the show is actually aimed at aren't a member of this site. And even if they were, would never admit to watching it due to the onslaught thats happening in multiple threads.
    acman wrote:
    Even more baffling is how on earth you think that THIS thread is a positive thing for them...
    Exposure. It's not rocket science.
    acman wrote:
    "DJ Music" - just priceless.
    Dance music then or whatever genre ye wanna put it in...I hadn't had coffee Mr. Pedantic...:rolleyes:
    acman wrote:
    I hate to repeat myself but here goes: even to be associated with that abomination of a show is an embarrassment. The only opportunity I can see them having is getting some quick cash while it lasts and be forever associated with what I'm pretty sure is RTE's worst show to date.
    Probably. I never said that it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Einstein wrote: »
    I make my living gigging and working in my recording studio...

Thats all in your opinion. Rest assured lots of people that the show is actually aimed at aren't a member of this site. And even if they were, would never admit to watching it due to the onslaught thats happening in multiple threads.

Exposure. It's not rocket science.

Dance music then or whatever genre ye wanna put it in...I hadn't had coffee Mr. Pedantic...:rolleyes:

Probably. I never said that it wasn't.

My point here is that this show is diabolical and we should really be putting a stop to this "any publicity is good publicity" attitude. It's exactly this socially acceptable nonsense, along with "Fiachra's Law" that has filled our world with the talentless, bullshyt sellouts that we are forced to listen to, watch / actively avoid every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

My point here is that this show is diabolical and we should really be putting a stop to this "any publicity is good publicity" attitude. It's exactly this socially acceptable nonsense, along with "Fiachra's Law" that has filled our world with the talentless, bullshyt sellouts that we are forced to listen to, watch / actively avoid every day.

you're not forced to listen to or watch anything. there's a wealth of channels out there, stick on discovery or history and learn about our world if you dont like fade street. or there's the big off button on your tv. im pretty sure that as humans we've evolved enough to be able to press the right button on our remotes if we desire?

some people are going to like this program and those people are as entitled to be entertained as much as you are.

your opinion, like everyone elses, is really only valid to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

there's a wealth of channels out there, stick on discovery or history and learn about sharks and Nazis if you dont like fade street.
    FYP

• Advertisement

yes cause clearly sharks and nazi's is ALL they're about, DESPITE a wealth of informative historical/educational series on regarding barbarian tribes,ancient civilisations, rome, egypt, world wars, the universe (starring the genius that is hawkins!), geology, biology, crime, survival... the list is endless.

and all you see is sharks and nazi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

jtsuited wrote: »
    I can absolutely see no way in which Fade Street is doing something positive.

RTE doesnt seem capable of making programmes with any originality. Other TV stations around the world make original shows - the BBC for example, Discovery etc etc. RTE seem to just mimick (badly) concepts that are already well used and uninteresting.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

you're not forced to listen to or watch anything. there's a wealth of channels out there, stick on discovery or history and learn about our world if you dont like fade street.

Fine, but whether you actually watch it or not doesn't change the fact that RTE are taking a yearly licence fee from you to produce crap exactly like this.

What I can't stand about it all is how poor an imitation it is of American television. I can't stand American "reality" TV. The engineered situations, the heavily edited close-up reactions, the "heart-breaking" stories of rags to riches, nobody to somebody, fat to skinny...that style is creeping into TV everywhere this side of the Atlantic, this is just another terrible attempt to reflect it.

I'd rather watch something low budget and original from RTE than watch another episode of the bad imitation that is Fade Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Erm, I'm slightly worried that so many people on this forum think the Discovery channel is some bastion of cerebral endeavour.

Oh and I'm going to do a massive U-turn on this and say how wrong I was. I have been misled about the purpose of music. I thought it was humanity's great communicative craft. The mathematics of emotion, the emotiveness of stucture.

And all the while, it was about exposure and being known by as many of the ignorant masses as possible...how silly of me.

Oh and Einstein, a few weeks back, I publicly declined an oppurtunity for a national radio station to broadcast my 'dj music' (there's a good bit about it on the clubbing forum should you need to check). You know why???
    Because the terrible lowest common denominator show that would have been a vehicle for said 'exposure' would have benefitted by my involvement.

If you are interested in making money, do something that doesn't fill the world with sh1t.
    Doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc, are all of far more benefit to society than another wedding covers band uncomfortably straddling the dodgy world of wedding covers bands and actual original artists with absolutely no motivation beyond 'we just want to be famous'.

Fame does not equal success, to anybody outside the demographic that Xfactor is aimed at. Or anybody with half an ounce of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭iquinn

Glad someone finally brought up the Nazi's. I thought we'd go to a few more pages.

• Advertisement

Oh and Einstein, a few weeks back, I publicly declined an oppurtunity for a national radio station to broadcast my 'dj music' (there's a good bit about it on the clubbing forum should you need to check). You know why???
    Because the terrible lowest common denominator show that would have been a vehicle for said 'exposure' would have benefitted by my involvement.
    That's your choice and you made decisions based on your experience of the scene that you're involved in. I'll have to take your word that it was the correct thing to do.
    jtsuited wrote:
    If you are interested in making money, do something that doesn't fill the world with sh1t.
    Right so, next time a 17 year old rapper wannabe that can't rap, knocks on my studio door wanting to pay me to record and mix his single, I'll say no, just to avoid adding to the existing sh!t. Will you lend me money to pay my car loan?
    jtsuited wrote:
    Doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc, are all of far more benefit to society than another wedding covers band uncomfortably straddling the dodgy world of wedding covers bands and actual original artists with absolutely no motivation beyond 'we just want to be famous'.
    Benefit to society? Am I in the wrong thread?
    jtsuited wrote:
    Fame does not equal success, to anybody outside the demographic that Xfactor is aimed at. Or anybody with half an ounce of sense.
    I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Theres a bigger problem here than the fact that the show is trash, and that the band are happy they got coverage, and that ye all thought this was great and congratulated them.

This concept of getting the name out there by any means necessary is pretty soul destroying. Its so apart from the creative inspiration that drives music making initially that it really breaks my heart. Yeah, fine, that’s the music business, that’s the game. But it sucks.

For some reason there’s an analogy in my brain of a situation where someone would aim to score someone really really hot, and would, as a means of getting them, score everyone else around them, just to show that they’re out there, available, and up for it. Only to be congratulated by their peers for scoring the mingers, because they agree that the looker will fall into their arms any second now.

Its bloody ridiculous. Seriously. Its bloody ridiculous.

The point is, just because many people here choose to play this game, doesn’t mean that we all agree that the game is the one true calling. Shure what have you to loose? Your integrity, your soul – shure what do those things matter when you’re rich and famous. No wait, hold on – try being creative with no integrity and no soul.

Will you lend me money to pay my car loan?

Not my fault you had to borrow money to buy a car you can't pay for without taking whatever work's going even if it's sh1te.

Look I've done a billion and one dodgy gigs over the years to pay the bills (between playing in wedding bands, recording church choirs singing about Jesus, etc.).

My point is, that when someone choose to take such an active role in something as truly awful as this, and then from the outset tries to fob off the entirely justifiable criticism as 'just haters etc', they deserve to be called up on it.

Listen, we all do degrading sh1t to pay the bills, and in fact I think one of the primary goals in life is to be able to pay the bills without doing degrading sh1t.

But when people whose talent is massively outweighed by their ambition start floggin their wares, and think 'haters be hatin' and 'typical Irish begrudgery', when they get called out on it, they really really really paint themselves in a bad light to anyone with a brain.

On the opposite side, when people get some sort of critical or commercial success, often some people close to them will tag along, defending them and plugging them because it's actually beneficial to the tag-along too.

Very much like how parasites work tbh.

Not my fault you had to borrow money to buy a car you can't pay for without taking whatever work's going even if it's sh1te.
    Quote 1 line of a full post just to take a dig? Talk about missing my point...
    jtsuited wrote:
    My point is, that when someone choose to take such an active role in something as truly awful as this, and then from the outset tries to fob off the entirely justifiable criticism as 'just haters etc', they deserve to be called up on it.
    Again, I never said I thought the show was great viewing. Have you never gotten involved in something that sounded like a potentially great idea, but in actual fact turned to mush?
    jtsuited wrote:
    Listen, we all do degrading sh1t to pay the bills, and in fact I think one of the primary goals in life is to be able to pay the bills without doing degrading sh1t.
    Sorry to hear that, I've never done anything degrading to pay a bill in my life.

On the opposite side, when people get some sort of critical or commercial success, often some people close to them will tag along, defending them and plugging them because it's actually beneficial to the tag-along too.[/quote]
    I don't see how this is relevant tbh.
    jtsuited wrote:
    Very much like how parasites work tbh.
    Are you able to have a mature conversation/debate without the insults?

Are you able to have a mature conversation/debate without the insults?

My point about parasites is hardly a dig. I hear it all time from many professionals in music. I wasn't aiming it anyone.

My point about parasites is hardly a dig. I hear it all time from many professionals in music. I wasn't aiming it anyone.
    I just don't generally refer to people (nobody in particular) as parasites.
    I've a bit more respect for people and their choices.
    The difference is, their choices appear to bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Funny stuff, dont kiss up..... :) love it !

Im to old to be bothered by others now, and im not really into anyones view but my own :( i have no need, I have nothing to gain....

When I was younger I would of been all over this thread attacking etc...especially another band... haha, I just have no need.

im doin 6 gigs this week, just got our 2nd single back from mix engineer in states, im mixing a track on sunday for a xmas release,10500 facebook fans, travel all over this fine country meeting people, earn my living from music, healthy and have been given free EXTRA exposure to this land via RTE? should I stand here and argue?!? why?

If I wasnt involved or show didnt have anything to do with me, I would NOT watch it, its not my style I dont like reality shows and TBH I dont have time so I sky+'ed it.....

fight away :)

love the 200 point bit, do not pass go ! :D brilliant !

PMI wrote: »
    im doin 6 gigs this week, just got our 2nd single back from mix engineer in states, im mixing a track on sunday for a xmas release,10500 facebook fans, travel all over this fine country meeting people, earn my living from music, healthy and have been given free EXTRA exposure to this land via RTE? should I stand here and argue?!? why?
    .Good man. The life philosophies of Kanye West seem to have made a great impact on Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

This is indeed a Monumentous Day -

Myself and JT agree on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

.Good man. The life philosophies of Kanye West seem to have made a great impact on Irish society.

Funny you should say that, the mix we got back was from Kanyes Mix engineer haha guess it came out of that....ha

• Advertisement

I just don't generally refer to people (nobody in particular) as parasites.
    I've a bit more respect for people and their choices.
    The difference is, their choices appear to bother you.

Erm, it's a fairly apt description for many areas of business (not least in certain areas of the music business). I genuinely don't mean it as a sort of mega-insult. It's merely describing the mechanism by analogy to phenomena in the natural world.

Fine, but whether you actually watch it or not doesn't change the fact that RTE are taking a yearly licence fee from you to produce crap exactly like this.

What I can't stand about it all is how poor an imitation it is of American television. I can't stand American "reality" TV. The engineered situations, the heavily edited close-up reactions, the "heart-breaking" stories of rags to riches, nobody to somebody, fat to skinny...that style is creeping into TV everywhere this side of the Atlantic, this is just another terrible attempt to reflect it.

I'd rather watch something low budget and original from RTE than watch another episode of the bad imitation that is Fade Street.

so vote with your feet like so many of us do, dont pay your license fee!

listen, i seen some of this "fade street" last night. its thrashy entertainment, no more no less. quite why its getting people's backs up is beyond me. we have to deal with the musical equivalent every day on the major radio stations (westlife, boyzone blah blah). its easy to just tune the dial or turn the radio off.

now if bono had made an appearance in it then it'd be a different story.. the anger would be justified :pac::pac::pac:

***sits back and waits for the fun***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

PMI wrote: »

If I wasnt involved or show didnt have anything to do with me, I would NOT watch it, its not my style I dont like reality shows and TBH I dont have time so I sky+'ed it.....

From what I gather, you seem to consider yourself quite "successful" at this point. Which begs the question: Why would you still feel the need to associate yourself with such an awful television program which even you wouldn't watch?
    you're not forced to listen to or watch anything. there's a wealth of channels out there, stick on discovery or history and learn about our world if you dont like fade street. or there's the big off button on your tv. im pretty sure that as humans we've evolved enough to be able to press the right button on our remotes if we desire?

Nice tip genius, now read what I wrote, but properly this time:

so vote with your feet like so many of us do, dont pay your license fee!

I actually think people should have to pay a license fee for the purpose of us having a State run public broadcaster.

PROVIDED, said broadcaster actually fulfills it's role.

What you are saying there is akin to saying 'do what a load of us do and avoid tax, then you don't have to worry what that money is spent on'.

Which has certain merits tbf, but come on, we'd be a fairly fcuked state if everyone took that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    This is indeed a Monumentous Day -

Myself and JT agree on something.

What bit do you agree with:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6nHcCB-xoY

To add more spice to the thread here is another reality show crossover into music.
    Now I am off to watch Fade St

I actually think people should have to pay a license fee for the purpose of us having a State run public broadcaster.

PROVIDED, said broadcaster actually fulfills it's role.

What you are saying there is akin to saying 'do what a load of us do and avoid tax, then you don't have to worry what that money is spent on'.

Which has certain merits tbf, but come on, we'd be a fairly fcuked state if everyone took that attitude.

so you'll hand over money for something that isnt up to scratch? fair play to you. i dont. and if everyone thought the same then maybe rte would have to listen up and we'd have a proper national broadcaster.

you're getting angry about them. i decided rather than get angry i'll just take action. it might be small but i feel better for it :)

Nice tip genius, now read what I wrote, but properly this time:

firstly theres no need for that kind of attitude. ive been nothing but civil in talking to you and jtsuited. so afford me the same respect that he is, thanks. its only a discussion after all.

secondly i still dont understand why its annoying you so much if you are activly avoiding stuff you dont like. im not trying to be smart with you but switching the channels just doesnt get me angry.

life everyday is a multitude of choices to be made, watching or not watching a tv show is just another choice, does it really warrant wasting energy on anger?

so you'll hand over money for something that isnt up to scratch? fair play to you. i dont. and if everyone thought the same then maybe rte would have to listen up and we'd have a proper national broadcaster.

Would you believe, I have devoted a great deal of time lately to thinking about this subject.

Here are a few things....

1. If you don't pay your tv license and get caught, there are actually a good few jobs out there you can't get in broadcasting, and not paying your tv license is actually grounds for dismissal from such broadcasting jobs.

2. Like I said, I would love to hold out from paying, but we actually got landed with one of those thirty day notices last month, so it was a decision I needed to make quick on whether I was going to pay.

3. In principle, I genuinely believe in the idea of a State public service broadcaster being funded by television licenses. I think on the whole, it is a very beneficial concept for society.

4. Interestingly, RTE as an organisation is a spineless one easily pushed over by popular opinion and public complaints.
    Bitching on the internet and freely airing your grievances does actually matter to them (I'm telling you this from the inside so to speak).

If there is a coordinated national movement to refuse to pay the license fee until certain questions are asked and sufficiently answered, I will be there on the frontline. And yes I am giving thought to the idea myself.

Ah yeah and to be fair to Damaged here, he's only saying 'chill out, relax, change the channel', which in most circumstances is completely valid but the issue of the license fee coupled with the 'haters be hatin/Irish begrudgery' really pushes this discussion into an entirely different area imo.

1. If you don't pay your tv license and get caught, there are actually a good few jobs out there you can't get in broadcasting, and not paying your tv license is actually grounds for dismissal from such broadcasting jobs.

didnt know that to be honest. if it came to paying or a court date i know i'd end up paying anyway, im far too pretty for prison :P
    2. Like I said, I would love to hold out from paying, but we actually got landed with one of those thirty day notices last month, so it was a decision I needed to make quick on whether I was going to pay.

i suppose its quite easy for me when im tucked away in a massive apartment complex. i can look out my window and see who's at the door. if they have a clip board i aint answering :)
    3. In principle, I genuinely believe in the idea of a State public service broadcaster being funded by television licenses. I think on the whole, it is a very beneficial concept for society.

i believe in either license fee OR advertising revenue. when you receive income from both and still dont reach an acceptable service level then something needs to be done.
    4. Interestingly, RTE as an organisation is a spineless one easily pushed over by popular opinion and public complaints.
    Bitching on the internet and freely airing your grievances does actually matter to them (I'm telling you this from the inside so to speak).

will someone PLEASE get that idiot brendan o'connor off the air waves!!!!

do you think they heard me? :D
    If there is a coordinated national movement to refuse to pay the license fee until certain questions are asked and sufficiently answered, I will be there on the frontline. And yes I am giving thought to the idea myself.

lets do it. we'll organise a march and barricade ourselves into RTE and demand kisses from aobhinn ni Shuilleabhain before we leave!!!

• Advertisement

didnt know that to be honest. if it came to paying or a court date i know i'd end up paying anyway, im far too pretty for prison :P
    Really???? I guess the only reason is that i know this is I'm third generation Montrose, but yeah tis true.

i suppose its quite easy for me when im tucked away in a massive apartment complex. i can look out my window and see who's at the door. if they have a clip board i aint answering :)
    oh here's the stickler. The guy that will come, is from the Post and Telegraphs department.....whose public wing is called An Post. He can get into your building as easy as a postman.
    I live in an apartment complex too and he already had the notices signed by the time he got to each door. I'm not sure if anyone in our building actually had a TV license tbh!!

i believe in either license fee OR advertising revenue. when you receive income from both and still dont reach an acceptable service level then something needs to be done.
    yup I'd agree. Unfortunately for a country the size of Ireland, we can't have it as an either/or situation. Haha, you could probably say that about the Irish economy as a whole!!

will someone PLEASE get that idiot brendan o'connor off the air waves!!!!

do you think they heard me? :D
    Is he on RTE again??

lets do it. we'll organise a march and barricade ourselves into RTE and demand kisses from aobhinn ni Shuilleabhain before we leave!!!

eh ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement