Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halves on a house

• 14-11-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Looking for advice. Thinking of going halves on a house with my sister in Dublin. The plan would be that she’d rent 2 rooms under the rent a room scheme to go towards the mortgage.

If she owned the house by herself the rent would not be liable to tax but I suspect that if I own half the house I’d have to pay tax on half the rent.

Any way of working this so that I wouldn’t have a tax liability ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

adam88 wrote: »
    Hi all. Looking for advice. Thinking of going halves on a house with my sister in Dublin. The plan would be that she’d rent 2 rooms under the rent a room scheme to go towards the mortgage.

If she owned the house by herself the rent would not be liable to tax but I suspect that if I own half the house I’d have to pay tax on half the rent.

Are you going to live in it too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

No. I’ve my own house and have lodgers in there already.

Want to do things by the book but just wondering is there a way to legally avoid paying the tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

No. I’ve my own house and have lodgers in there already.

Want to do things by the book but just wondering is there a way to legally avoid paying the tax

If the rent pays anything off your mortgage repayments it's rental income and taxable.

Your sister will have a CAT liability on use of half of the house.

Best to talk to a tax advisor about it.

davindub wrote: »
    If the rent pays anything off your mortgage repayments it's rental income and taxable.

Your sister will have a CAT liability on use of half of the house.

Best to talk to a tax advisor about it.

Would she not be entitled to rent a room relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Rent a room relief is where a homeowner rents out a room in their own home - their own principal private residence.

Think of it as a 'make use of the spare room' initiative.

• Advertisement

Rent a room relief is where a homeowner rents out a room in their own home - their own principal private residence.

Think of it as a 'make use of the spare room' initiative.

This would be her home. She’d be living in it and would be her residence. I’d merely be assisting her in buying the house. It would be an investment on my behalf but would be her home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This would be her home. She’d be living in it and would be her residence. I’d merely be assisting her in buying the house. It would be an investment on my behalf but would be her home
    How many names on the deeds?
    Who is borrowing the mula?
    How many names on the debt?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

How many names on the deeds?
    Who is borrowing the mula?
    How many names on the debt?

Was thinking of going proper halves.

Joint ownership, mortgage in both our names,,, it’s just I wouldn’t be living there She couldn’t afford it on her own

Would she not be entitled to rent a room relief

She would be.

But if any of the rent benefits you directly or indirectly, you are not entitled to it.

She is receiving a gift of half of the house, there are Capitial Acquisitions Tax implications.

• Advertisement

She would be.

But if any of the rent benefits you directly or indirectly, you are not entitled to it.

She is receiving a gift of half of the house, there are Capitial Acquisitions Tax implications.
    How do you figure that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She would be.

No she's not, if both names are on the deeds.

I would maintain ownership and control of half the house, if or when it is sold I would receive half the sale of the house.

What we are currently thinking the tax situation would be is the following

For e,g. Total rent from tenants (housemates)

She would get half and pay no tax on it (rent a room relief) I would also receive half and pay tax on my half.

Could I sign over my half of the rent and let her pay that towards the mortgage ???

I want to stress I’m not looking to evade paying tax only avoid or reduce my liability

How do you figure that?

The ability of the sister to claim ROR?

Revenue Tax Briefing

"4.1 Sole or main residence
    The room or rooms must be in a residential premises situated in the State that is occupied by an individual as his or her sole or main residence during the particular tax year. An individual may live in more than one residence but can only avail of rent-a-room relief in respect of his or her sole or main residence. In general, an individual’s sole or main residence is that individual’s home for the greater part of the time and where friends and correspondents would expect to find him or her. The individual does not have to own the residence and it could, for example, be occupied as rented accommodation.
    "

I don't think the legal title to the property is material, once the rent is entirely received by the sister as her income and not the OP's, it should be claimable under ROR.

No she's not, if both names are on the deeds.

Sorry, where have you established this from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

davindub wrote:

There is no gift. The sister is buying half of the house herself

the first clue is in the title.
    The rest is explicit in some of the OP's replies

the first clue is in the title.
    The rest is explicit in some of the OP's replies

I wasn't confused about the title situation. The post I replied to appeared to either state that ROR would not apply or that gift tax would not apply if there were two names on the deeds, gift tax would apply if the OP were not to receive a MV rental income on his half of the property from his sister or a rental income directly from the tenants and I covered the criteria for ROR in my reply to you.

dubrov wrote: »
    There is no gift. The sister is buying half of the house herself

Actually apologies for this, after re-reading my reply to the OP, it should have read "if she is receiving a gift of use of half of the house"

This is referring to CAT implications of free use of a house and arm's lengths rules for rent received from a family member.

Can someone break this down to simple English.

If we buy the hosue together does she have to pay cgt on my half that I am allowing her to use???

What happens to the rent that is received from the lodgers ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Can someone break this down to simple English.

If we buy the hosue together does she have to pay cgt on my half that I am allowing her to use???

What happens to the rent that is received from the lodgers ??

If she has a 50% ownership interest in the house, I do not see that it can be a gift unless she has exclusive use of the house. You are not entitled to rent a room relief. She probably is. It would be indicative (but not determinatory) of a gift if she received and retained the lodger’s rent. Using the lodger’s rent to pay your half of the mortgage would still necessitate you taxing the rent in your own hands with limited entitlement (if any) to interest relief.

One way to structure this while not having to pay tax is that you both own half the house, both pay half the mortgage and the person living there received 100% of the lodgers rent.

Then 3000 can be gifted per year tax free from the occupier to the other owner. It should cover most of their half of the mortgage, if the other owner has a partner/spouse then you can give them 6k per year tax free.

Lots of other ways to work this also but unfortunately they can't be discussed here.

One way to structure this while not having to pay tax is that you both own half the house, both pay half the mortgage and the person living there received 100% of the lodgers rent.

Then 3000 can be gifted per year tax free from the occupier to the other owner. It should cover most of their half of the mortgage, if the other owner has a partner/spouse then you can give them 6k per year tax free.

Lots of other ways to work this also but unfortunately they can't be discussed here.

No, you can't claim rent is a gift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Halves on a house? Celtic Tiger is well and truly back !

No, you can't claim rent is a gift.

Who said the gift is rent? Co-owning a house and the occupier receiving rent a room money does not exclude the co-owners from gifting money to each other if they wish to.

How much would a tax consultant or tax accountant charge to sort this out

How much would a tax consultant or tax accountant charge to sort this out
    Sort what out?: anyway most folk won't open a file for less than 2k

Who said the gift is rent? Co-owning a house and the occupier receiving rent a room money does not exclude the co-owners from gifting money to each other if they wish to.

I say it is. An revenue auditor will say it is. Why are you proposing it? I couldn't believe that anyone who has any professional knowledge would even suggest this. An accountant or tax advisor wouldn't even file this for you.

What you are proposing is tax evasion and a silly one at that, Revenue are very tuned into idiots who think they can swop income for gifts.

I say it is. An revenue auditor will say it is. Why are you proposing it? I couldn't believe that anyone who has any professional knowledge would even suggest this. An accountant or tax advisor wouldn't even file this for you.

What you are proposing is tax evasion and a silly one at that, Revenue are very tuned into idiots who think they can swop income for gifts.

There is no obligation to file a gift of 3k or under so you are showing your lack of knowledge there.

A revenue auditor can sing for it, he cannot do anything about a gift between individuals of 3k or under simple as that.

Also Using the small gift exemption for transferring money between individuals will 100% be given as advise from a tax advisor. It’s a perfectly legal way of moving money and it is common place to use it in ways like the above and for a multitude of other similar types of scenarios.

• Advertisement

There is no obligation to file a gift of 3k or under so you are showing your lack of knowledge there.

A revenue auditor can sing for it, he cannot do anything about a gift between individuals of 3k or under simple as that.

Also Using the small gift exemption for transferring money between individuals will 100% be given as advise from a tax advisor. It’s a perfectly legal way of moving money and it is common place to use it in ways like the above and for a multitude of other similar types of scenarios.

For gods sake, your IT return...…it's 3k short....that is where the offense is being committed. Whomever files it for you signs and submits and when they do, there is a nice red warning about deliberate or carelessly submitted returns. So no lack of knowledge on the subject.

Have you experience in telling revenue to go sing for it? I'll tell you if revenue ask you to make a prompted qualifying disclosure and you didn't rectify the above = prison time as well as the interest and penalties.

As I stated it is tax evasion, I am categorically telling you, if you reduce your Case V income by 3k in lieu of a gift, you are committing an offense by filing. I don't know what tax advisor you used, but if you have done this on the advice of one, you had better rectify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

New question (somewhat related)
    If two adult siblings buy a house jointly (mortgage, not cash) for their parent to live in what would be the tax implications? If the parent is retired.

For gods sake, your IT return...…it's 3k short....that is where the offense is being committed. Whomever files it for you signs and submits and when they do, there is a nice red warning about deliberate or carelessly submitted returns. So no lack of knowledge on the subject.

Why would your income tax return be 3k short? Firstly a large number of people don’t make a tax return as they are paye and secondly a private gift of 3k or under does not need to be filed, it’s not income it’s a gift.

You don’t even need to make a return on the gift if it’s over 3k unless it’s over 80% of the category threshold.

Have you experience in telling revenue to go sing for it? I'll tell you if revenue ask you to make a prompted qualifying disclosure and you didn't rectify the above = prison time as well as the interest and penalties.

As I stated it is tax evasion, I am categorically telling you, if you reduce your Case V income by 3k in lieu of a gift, you are committing an offense by filing. I don't know what tax advisor you used, but if you have done this on the advice of one, you had better rectify the situation.

To me it looks like you are confused? Are you talking about the person in receipt of the rent declaring 3k less than they receive? As if you are I don’t know why you are, that’s not what’s being discussed. Why would they do that especially in this situation where the money is tax free?

This discussion is not about the person who received the rent it’s a about the person who gets an unrelated cash gift.

Person A owns half a house, pays half the mortgage and doesn’t live there.
    Person B owns half a house, pays half the mortgage and lives there. They also rent out a room under the rent a room scheme and they keep all the rent. They declare all the rent and claim rent a room relief thus pay no tax on it.

Once a year person B gifts person A 3k. No tax or declaration required on either side as it’s exempt under the small gifts exemption.

Why would your income tax return be 3k short? Firstly a large number of people don’t make a tax return as they are paye and secondly a private gift of 3k or under does not need to be filed, it’s not income it’s a gift.

You don’t even need to make a return on the gift if it’s over 3k unless it’s over 80% of the category threshold.

To me it looks like you are confused? Are you talking about the person in receipt of the rent declaring 3k less than they receive? As if you are I don’t know why you are, that’s not what’s being discussed. Why would they do that especially in this situation where the money is tax free?

This discussion is not about the person who received the rent it’s a about the person who gets an unrelated cash gift.

Person A owns half a house, pays half the mortgage and doesn’t live there.
    Person B owns half a house, pays half the mortgage and lives there. They also rent out a room under the rent a room scheme and they keep all the rent. They declare all the rent and claim rent a room relief thus pay no tax on it.

Once a year person B gifts person A 3k. No tax or declaration required on either side as it’s exempt under the small gifts exemption.

Regurgitation of unrelated matters is not going to be helpful. Thresholds, small gift exemptions are all CAT matters which only apply if it is a gift, this is rental income you are trying to disguise as a gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Regurgitation of unrelated matters is not going to be helpful. Thresholds, small gift exemptions are all CAT matters which only apply if it is a gift, this is rental income you are trying to disguise as a gift.

TBH the 2 dotn have to be connected, the person receiving rent a room benefit is availing of that, they can seperately gift anyone 3k if they please, the occupant is availing of rent a room, its npt like they are renting the property, Id say there are bigger things for revenue to go chasing than things which they already approve of.

1874 wrote: »
    TBH the 2 dotn have to be connected, the person receiving rent a room benefit is availing of that, they can seperately gift anyone 3k if they please, the occupant is availing of rent a room, its npt like they are renting the property, Id say there are bigger things for revenue to go chasing than things which they already approve of.

You would say based on personal experience of dealing with Revenue or just unjustified ignorant opinion? Sounds like the latter.

As I said, calling rent a gift is idiotic. According to you two, revenue couldn't state the gift of free use of a house and an annual payment are in fact related?

• Advertisement

You would say based on personal experience of dealing with Revenue or just unjustified ignorant opinion? Sounds like the latter.

As I said, calling rent a gift is idiotic. According to you two, revenue couldn't state the gift of free use of a house and an annual payment are in fact related?

Play the ball not the man. No need for personal attacks in here.

You way of looking at this is arseways, you are going out of your way to drum reasons this can’t happen.

Going by your logic any two people with a financial connection to each other cannot avail of the small gifts exemption, yet the small gifts exemption is clearly open to all people and is a fundamental rule in irish taxation.

You cannot stop private individuals availing of a completely legal way of transferring money between each other. If a company tried to give their employee a 3k cash gift from a company account then that’s obviously nonsense and would not be eligible however if the owner of the company gave a 3k gift from his private account to an employee then that is totally above board.

No matter how much you want to you can’t invent a rule that excludes people from using the small gifts exemption, you appear to really want to but you can’t.

Saying person B can’t gift 3k to A because they are receiving rent is like saying I can't gift 3k to someone because it’s a way of transferring money from my employer to someone else. That’s the type of knots you are tying yourself in.

You way of looking at this is arseways, you are going out of your way to drum reasons this can’t happen.

Going by your logic any two people with a financial connection to each other cannot avail of the small gifts exemption, yet the small gifts exemption is clearly open to all people and is a fundamental rule in irish taxation.

You cannot stop private individuals availing of a completely legal way of transferring money between each other. If a company tried to give their employee a 3k cash gift from a company account then that’s obviously nonsense and would not be eligible however if the owner of the company gave a 3k gift from his private account to an employee then that is totally above board.

No matter how much you want to you can’t invent a rule that excludes people from using the small gifts exemption, you appear to really want to but you can’t.

Saying person B can’t gift 3k to A because they are receiving rent is like saying I can't gift 3k to someone because it’s a way of transferring money from my employer to someone else. That’s the type of knots you are tying yourself in.

No, the issue is whether the payment is case v income or a gift. The amount or source of the funds is not relevant.

No, the issue is whether the payment is case v income or a gift. The amount or source of the funds is not relevant.

If the money is given as a gift then it's a gift. You have no way of proving it either way the same as with any gift given under the small gifts exemption.

Person B can gift person A 3k per year tax free full stop, take twist out of your knickers and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You need to acquaint yourself with section 811C!

• Advertisement

If the money is given as a gift then it's a gift. You have no way of proving it either way the same as with any gift given under the small gifts exemption.

Person B can gift person A 3k per year tax free full stop, take twist out of your knickers and move on.

Ah great, so you are now admitting tax evasion, just you think revenue can't prove that it is income rather than a gift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

noxxy, you're smart at lots of things - but tax ain't one of them. And I say that knowing 9/10th of nothing about it myself.

If a property generates income, then legally that is income split between the owners of that property, divided backed on the ownership proportions. They have to pay tax on that income, based on their circumstances.

What the owners do with the cash after that is up to them, and may or may not have additional tax liabiliites (eg gift duty).

The question about getting 1/2 a house to live in for free is an interesting one. I have no idea how Revenue would weight up the relative value of this (eg should the resident-owner also be paying rent to the non-resident one) - vs the value of the 24x7 property management, maintenance and on-site security which they are providing. Suspect they might be regarded as cancelling each other out.

noxxy, you're smart at lots of things - but tax ain't one of them. And I say that knowing 9/10th of nothing about it myself.

If a property generates income, then legally that is income split between the owners of that property, divided backed on the ownership proportions. They have to pay tax on that income, based on their circumstances.

Tax very much is one of them, particularly around CAT I know it inside out.

You are incorrect of course saying that the income is legally split, particularly when we are talking about rent a room as we are in this instance.
    Ah great, so you are now admitting tax evasion, just you think revenue can't prove that it is income rather than a gift?

I’m admitting nothing? Sure I am not involved in this situation at all. Revenue will be very very hard pressed to prove a 3k gift between co-owners/siblings is anything but a gift. Revenue won’t even have any interest in it, 3k gifts between private individuals that legally doesn’t have to be declared? What’s going to flag their interest?

And btw I’m not saying take a chance sure they won’t know, in my opinion I see no reason these two people cannot legally avail of the small gifts exemption, those saying otherwise are wrong imo.

Next you will tell me half my wedding presents were income or some other nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I’m admitting nothing?

Kinda pinned your colours to the mast here though...:pac::
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110621116&postcount=18
    Ha ha not a chance would I report anyone, I say fair play to them and anyone who saves themselves a few bob. The amount I’ve saved by paying cash in hand for rent or to trades peoples etc and other things here and there over the years is significant so I’m quids in on black market stuff rather than people “stealing :rolleyes:” from me.

I don’t know anyone in real life with this sort of attitude, everyone I know would say fair play to someone finding ways to pay less tax.

Tax very much is one of them, particularly around CAT I know it inside out.

You are incorrect of course saying that the income is legally split, particularly when we are talking about rent a room as we are in this instance.

I’m admitting nothing? Sure I am not involved in this situation at all. Revenue will be very very hard pressed to prove a 3k gift between co-owners/siblings is anything but a gift. Revenue won’t even have any interest in it, 3k gifts between private individuals that legally doesn’t have to be declared? What’s going to flag their interest?

And btw I’m not saying take a chance sure they won’t know, in my opinion I see no reason these two people cannot legally avail of the small gifts exemption, those saying otherwise are wrong imo.

Next you will tell me half my wedding presents were income or some other nonsense.

No proof is actually required, just the opinion of an auditor.

Your wedding gifts were presumably gifts? You didn't receive them in order to evade income tax presumably?

This escalated quickly, I’m sure this situation is not unique. There’s surely a lot of people that Are separated and own half the house with their ex etc and one person is left in the house while the other person moved out but still legally owns half. While the one that remains rents out a room. Not a million miles apart from my situation

Kinda pinned your colours to the mast here though...:pac::
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110621116&postcount=18

Nothing illegal in paying cash, it’s up to the recipient to look after their tax affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Nothing illegal in paying cash, it’s up to the recipient to look after their tax affairs.

I knew that you would say exactly that. Fact remains you’re a willing participant in, and happy to facilitate, others’ tax evasion. That’s fine, just own it, don’t be trying to skirt around it like ;)

This escalated quickly, I’m sure this situation is not unique. There’s surely a lot of people that Are separated and own half the house with their ex etc and one person is left in the house while the other person moved out but still legally owns half. While the one that remains rents out a room. Not a million miles apart from my situation

Some support orders are exempt from CAT.

Honestly get professional advice really, for the sake of a few hundred euros you will more than likely get a workable solution.

Advertisement