Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager is seriously messing me about with jobs

• 19-11-2019 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I left my original job on the 31st of October after I had accepted another position within my company for more hours and a lot more money.
    I was suppose to start on the 18th of November but the manager text me a few days prior and told me that that position is no longer available, he offered me another position with less money and more hours and a few minutes from my house, as I had no other choice, I accepted.
    Fast forward to today, manager rang me to say that that position is no longer available so he offered me ANOTHER job, way less money than I was getting in my original job before I left.
    Surely they are not allowed to do this ?
    I am currently saving for a mortage and this is really hurting me money wise.
    What can i do ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I left my original job on the 31st of October after I had accepted another position within my company for more hours and a lot more money.
    I was suppose to start on the 18th of November but the manager text me a few days prior and told me that that position is no longer available, he offered me another position with less money and more hours and a few minutes from my house, as I had no other choice, I accepted.
    Fast forward to today, manager rang me to say that that position is no longer available so he offered me ANOTHER job, way less money than I was getting in my original job before I left.
    Surely they are not allowed to do this ?
    I am currently saving for a mortage and this is really hurting me money wise.
    What can i do ?

I think they want rid of you. Did you not sign a contract for the new position before you left your old position on the company.

There was a somewhat similar case to yours that went to unfair dismissal about 10 years ago. A company had a employee ''A'' doing a certain type of orders. They assigned a second person ''B''to the area and after a few.months decided to downsize it again and as B had more total service than A they moved A and forced them to leave company. Employee A Topman unfair dismissal case and won it as tribunal decided that company manufactured the scenario.

This sounds similar ploy using a different tactic

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LyonsForLife

I think they want rid of you. Did you not sign a contract for the new position before you left your old position on the company.

There was a somewhat similar case to yours that went to unfair dismissal about 10 years ago. A company had a employee ''A'' doing a certain type of orders. They assigned a second person ''B''to the area and after a few.months decided to downsize it again and as B had more total service than A they moved A and forced them to leave company. Employee A Topman unfair dismissal case and won it as tribunal decided that company manufactured the scenario.

This sounds similar ploy using a different tactic

I'm only with the company since February so it would be a bit strange to want rid of me already, especially when I'm a good employee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I'm only with the company since February so it would be a bit strange to want rid of me already, especially when I'm a good employee

It may seem strange but its also strange that they offered you a new position with higher pay, which then became unavailable 2 weeks after you left your previous position and they have now offered you another job ob less pay again. are these new jobs on less pay than the one you had until end of October.

Slava Ukrainii

are these new jobs on less pay than the one you had until end of October.

The latest job he offered me is 1.50 less an hour than the original job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

When offered the first position, did you sign a contract of employment with the new employer, setting out you terns and conditions, including pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why was there a 2.5 gap between you finishing in the previous role and starting the new one? That in itself would be extremely unusual for an internal move. Unless you were on holidays?

When offered the first position, did you sign a contract of employment with the new employer, setting out you terns and conditions, including pay?

So here's the thing. I haven't signed a contract with this company yet.
    When I was interviewed for the 2nd position, we agree'd on hours and pay.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Why was there a 2.5 gap between you finishing in the previous role and starting the new one? That in itself would be extremely unusual for an internal move. Unless you were on holidays?

Yeah I was on holidays from the start of November for a week, then I took an unpaid week before I started the new job on the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

They are dodgy as **** and taking the piss out of you. Stay there and get a new job. Give as little notice as possible. You ow them nothing.

They are dodgy as **** and taking the piss out of you. Stay there and get a new job. Give as little notice as possible. You ow them nothing.

I wouldn't mind if this was happening in the middle of the year, but 5 weeks to Christmas is a bit of a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Sounds like they hired you at x rate to get you in the door and are now shafting you down to lower rates to suit themselves.

So here's the thing. I haven't signed a contract with this company yet.
    When I was interviewed for the 2nd position, we agree'd on hours and pay.

That's the mistake here: you should've both signed the contract with it stating your terms and wages before you handed in your notice with your previous employer. Now that you've quit your last job and have no contract in place with your putative employer, you haven't much to stand on.

My advice is start looking for another job because personally, I don't think the omens are good with whoever offered you that job and their ability to keep their word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're still on probation, so if they wanted to let you go they could.

This makes me think that it's actually customers who are dicking around with your employer, rather than the employer willfully wanting to shaft you.

But I'd agree that the omens aren't good: if the customers are messing them around this much, then things could get very ugly. Take whatever you can get from them for now, but focus on finging a new company to work for.

That's the mistake here: you should've both signed the contract with it stating your terms and wages before you handed in your notice with your previous employer. Now that you've quit your last job and have no contract in place with your putative employer, you haven't much to stand on.

My advice is start looking for another job because personally, I don't think the omens are good with whoever offered you that job and their ability to keep their word

I didnt hand in my notice, my supervisor at the time presumed I had got the another job and in the mean time filled my position with someone else and gave them a start date.
    This supervisor actually helped to get me this position as it was an old colleague of his who was over it and was looking for staff.

I didnt hand in my notice, my supervisor at the time presumed I had got the another job and in the mean time filled my position with someone else and gave them a start date.
    This supervisor actually helped to get me this position as it was an old colleague of his who was over it and was looking for staff.

Irrespective, you've no contract executed with your terms and conditions set out. You should've insisted on that before jumping

Advertisement