Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter locations for Dublin/Waterford

Options
  • 08-03-2021 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

Me and my partner moved to Dublin in 2020 as his work asked him to transfer. I found a job in Dublin after we moved and I am enjoying the work but my partner now wants to move back to Waterford. I really want to stay put in my job for another while.

Are there any towns/locations halfway between Dublin and Waterford so that one of us doesn't have to travel loads.

I'm thinking Carlow but I've only ever drove through so not sure what its like to live there.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not really, no.

Either you're both going to have crap commutes if you live half way, or one of you is going to have an absolutely horrendous commute and the other an easier one if you go close to Dublin or Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

awec wrote: »
    Not really, no.

Either you're both going to have crap commutes if you live half way, or one of you is going to have an absolutely horrendous commute and the other an easier one if you go close to Dublin or Waterford.

Not what I wanted to hear but thank you.

I might have to look into getting a room for myself up here and just go home at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Dublin to Waterford is about 170km, a hell of a commute if one of you is working in one place.

I can't even think of a reasonable solution.

Carlow has a lot going for it and has a train station. But still an hour+ commute for both of you, both ways.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Dublin to Waterford is about 170km, a hell of a commute if one of you is working in one place.

I can't even think of a reasonable solution.

Carlow has a lot going for it and has a train station. But still an hour+ commute for both of you, both ways.

I may have been too optimistic, no point in both of us being knackered every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

han2000 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Me and my partner moved to Dublin in 2020 as his work asked him to transfer. I found a job in Dublin after we moved and I am enjoying the work but my partner now wants to move back to Waterford. I really want to stay put in my job for another while.

Are there any towns/locations halfway between Dublin and Waterford so that one of us doesn't have to travel loads.

I'm thinking Carlow but I've only ever drove through so not sure what its like to live there.

If you worked somewhere like Citywest, you might get away with Carlow (door to door in about a hour). An hour commute wouldn't be the worst, pre Covid my commute in Dublin took me an hour and a half door to door (on public transport). It obviously might require a bit of flexibility from your employer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you worked somewhere like Citywest, you might get away with Carlow (door to door in about a hour). An hour commute wouldn't be the worst, pre Covid my commute in Dublin took me an hour and a half door to door (on public transport). It obviously might require a bit of flexibility from your employer.

Would you really do Carlow to Citywest in an hour during rush hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Hi All,

I live in Newbridge and I've done my fair share of commuting over the years. I spent 18 months commuting from Newbridge to Waterford and it nearly broke me. If you move somewhere in between, one of you is going to end up doing this sort of thing.
    Personally for me it wasn't worth it. If there is another option please pick that!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

awec wrote: »
    Would you really do Carlow to Citywest in an hour during rush hour?

If your employer allowed you start at 8 you might. I know people who, Pre Covid & from Carlow / Kilkenny who were doing longer daily commutes to areas close enough to Dublin City Centre. They don't have much choice about the matter if they want the salary. All said, I hope the days of being in the office 5 days a week will be gone when things revert back to 'normal'.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I think it's going to be the case that I stay on a bit longer or we both go home.

The job I'm at isnt too flexible with regard work hours and I haven't been WFH but that's suited me the last while as heading to work is giving me a sense of normality amidst the Covid madness.

I'll have to have a good think and hopefully make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

my partner now wants to move back to Waterford

As someone living in Waterford my whole life, you don't often hear that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭downesy

I live in Castledermot, halfway between Dublin and Waterford.

It's a much 'nicer' commute to Waterford than Dublin, particularly in the morning. If I travel to Dublin (Blackrock) at the weekend, it could be done in an hour, if I tried to get to work for 9am Monday to Friday, it could take two, or more.

I don't commute to Dublin anymore, and honestly, it's the best decision/change I ever made. Travelling in a car, for up to five hours a day, is heartbreaking, and I couldn't ever do it again.

I wouldn't recommend it, sorry.

As someone living in Waterford my whole life, you don't often hear that! :D

No better place to live ;)

downesy wrote: »

It's a much 'nicer' commute to Waterford than Dublin, particularly in the morning. If I travel to Dublin (Blackrock) at the weekend, it could be done in an hour, if I tried to get to work for 9am Monday to Friday, it could take two, or more.

I think an hour of travel time would have been my max, two hours would be torture. I'd imagine it wouldn't take too long to completely burn yourself out.

Advertisement