Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Records post 1900

Options
  • 19-02-2021 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I have been trying to get birth(baptism)/death records from the early 1900s but can't get much information past the 1911 census because parish records don't seem to be digitized after 1900.
    It's around the 1920s I'm looking for, for ancestors in Co Tipperary.
    Can anyone signpost me?
    Thanks.

To thine own self be true

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Births will be dribbled out to irishgenealogy.ie year by year, we have 1920 now. We have up to 1970 for deaths and 1945 for marriages though.

rootsireland.ie has certain parish registers til about then - but its not that common. Generally at that time period you need to contact the parish - and parish death records are really rare/awful.

Newspaper archives - the Nenagh Guardian on the Irish Newspaper Archives has high coverage of North Tipp (I have no knowledge of if there is a South Tipp equivalent) and covered some births, most marriages and deaths - and graveyard records may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

L1011 wrote: »
    Births will be dribbled out to irishgenealogy.ie year by year, we have 1920 now. We have up to 1970 for deaths and 1945 for marriages though.

rootsireland.ie has certain parish registers til about then - but its not that common. Generally at that time period you need to contact the parish - and parish death records are really rare/awful.

Newspaper archives - the Nenagh Guardian on the Irish Newspaper Archives has high coverage of North Tipp (I have no knowledge of if there is a South Tipp equivalent) and covered some births, most marriages and deaths - and graveyard records may help.
    Thanks. The ancestors I am researching might have been born before 1920 hopefully.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ancestry.com has birth indexes up to the 1950s - sometimes with mother's surname. Might be worth having a look; if you find a likely record you can contact GRO for a research copy - but you have to pay a fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those same indices are on familysearch.org for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

L1011 wrote: »

In fairness, when you say dribbling out, they are constrained to births > 100 years, marriages > 75 and deaths >50 years for data protection reasons. It is not laziness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement